Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Aug 2002, 00:53 (Ref:360031)   #1
racealign
Rookie

racealign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
race strategy

I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that can help with race strategy for the bathurst 24 hour i.e.. to compare different scenarios, pit stops, race speed, whether to run soft tyres and run fast or hard tyres and not change them, hard pads and not change or normal pads and change, etc etc...basically so that you can crunch all the numbers and come up with a possible best approach???. I am currently preparing three cars for the Bathurst 24hr event and there has been some major discussion regarding how the team should run with regard to reliablity and speed for the event. Ofcourse, pace cars and incidents will have an effect but there must be some way of crunching numbers !!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 01:11 (Ref:360792)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oy... I've never heard of a computer program that can do that...

Uhm... <scratches his head> How about going over the race reports for the past 5 years, and looking at what the winning teams did? There's nothing so helpful as experience in enduros.

I'd think going with the softer pads would be a mistake, though, unless your pit crew can _really_ get the changes down... I'd wager the slight improvement in on-track pace would be dramatically negated by the time spent in the pits for the pad change.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 07:07 (Ref:360915)   #3
racealign
Rookie

thanks Lee but this is the first event of its type for quite a few years at this track and the type of cars has changed dramatically as has the rules for the cars/ mods allowed etc...
as for the brake pads...try to imagine the compound the pads would have to be to last 24 hrs of racing?? What I am comparing the pads to are "regular race pads" to "oh my god will it stop" pads...well not that hard but you get the idea then factor in maybe wet conditions too...
ok...lets say that the difference between a normal race pad and a very hard one was say...2 seconds a lap..over 500 laps thats 16 minutes..for us to change the pads front and rear is 5 minutes tops..remembering that we have to change drivers fuel and change tyres too ... we save 11 minutes..thats 4 laps...then we can go on about tyre compounds..
Old 19 Aug 2002, 08:34 (Ref:360963)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Spreadsheet software, such as Excel, is designed for jobs like this. Once you've got the parameters set up it's easy to do your 'what ifs'.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 15:49 (Ref:361348)   #5
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have a base spreadsheet could come in quite handy for 24 Karting race I'm doing in france
Old 19 Aug 2002, 18:06 (Ref:361456)   #6
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I once downloaded such a spreadsheet,i'll look for it again,it regards even the technical side of endurance racing
Old 20 Aug 2002, 08:14 (Ref:361873)   #7
racealign
Rookie

wow..thanks guys...if you could find it it would be great.....thanks
Old 20 Aug 2002, 11:30 (Ref:361963)   #8
BennyBoy1978
Veteran

England
Sydney
BennyBoy1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i'd be intrested in that as well