F1 track in Alabama?

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/News/...ews_id233.html
I dont think F1 will do well in Alabama if they go
Old 15 Sep 2006, 00:16 (Ref:1710608)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
You have got to be kidding me...
Old 15 Sep 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1710611)   #3
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never thought I'd see F1 and Alabama in the same sentence in my life.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:01 (Ref:1710641)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It can be used by F1 someday, when it is built.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1710649)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen any pigs flying, have you... That's the only way I can see Alabama hosting an F1 event.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 15 Sep 2006, 03:48 (Ref:1710677)   #6
Naruto
Racer

United States
Philadelphia, PA
Naruto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I been to Alabama not a place for F1 at all. Alabama is all about Stocks cars and that is it. I think it just Dale Earnhardt Jr whating to have a F1 event because he a big fan.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 04:57 (Ref:1710685)   #7
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The track looks pretty nice, it reminds me of the old Silverstone, the fast one.

Are there alligators in the water ?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1710697)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo

Are there alligators in the water ?
No,if F1 goes there,the "allegators" will be on the track.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 06:55 (Ref:1710702)   #9
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh dear, this could be bad! I seem to remember a few nascar races that ended with fans throwing stuff over the fences because there wasnt a race to the finish!

Can you imagine trying to explain to a bunch of yeehaws a 40second gap to 2nd place after only 70 laps when thy're used to 5 cars scrapping for the lead after 300 laps!

Not to mention the concept of right turns!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1710711)   #10
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc H
Can you imagine trying to explain to a bunch of yeehaws a 40second gap to 2nd place after only 70 laps when thy're used to 5 cars scrapping for the lead after 300 laps!

Not to mention the concept of right turns!
[Sarcasm]The folks at Indianapolis seem to understand so.... Oh, I see, you think everyone in Alabama is stupid.

Here, let me explain... Oh wait, I see your Irish. Not much point if truth be told.[/Sarcasm]

The track looks good and is located in a really nice part of the country. Even if the locals don’t follow F1 I would think a lot of the crowd would be from out of state and os visitors.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1710902)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mobile is on the Gulf coast, a short distance from New Orleans and a short drive from the Gulf Coast of Florida. It is not too far from Atlanta, a rapidly growing and increasingly cosmopolitan city and home to Don Panoz. Frankly, the stereotypical comments about Southern yahoos are beneathe this Forum.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1710907)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for locating it for us mate ! I really thought (by the comments) it was somewhere near in the northwest near Canada...
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:24 (Ref:1710912)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually Bon, with the rise in afluence of the Latin-based market circling the Gulf of Mexico, it puts it a short flight from Columbia, Northern Brazil, all of Mexico, and Miami. I think it makes a lot of sense as alocation as well as the fact that the weather is warm for 10 months a year.

As plans go, I think the road racing track looks good, but I am surprised that the paved oval is so short, a mere 7/10's of a mile or a tad longer than a kilometer for all you metric sorts.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1710914)   #14
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
[Sarcasm]The folks at Indianapolis seem to understand so.... Oh, I see, you think everyone in Alabama is stupid.

Here, let me explain... Oh wait, I see your Irish. Not much point if truth be told.[/Sarcasm]
Well the only one who mentioned the word stupid was emmmm YOU. I was trying to point out the difference that the fans would have to get used to. Also the fact that they may not appreciate the extended gaps that formula one produces. I never tried to call anyone stupid and I consider your comments an oportunistic dig at the Irish.

Quote:
Frankly, the stereotypical comments about Southern yahoos are beneathe this Forum.
EERO. Read my post and then read dsg's post which puts his spin on what I said. I dont appreciate people putting words in my mouth and I really dont appreciate people who listen to them.

Discussion over, I'll not try to pass any more comments on a thread thats so far above me.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1710923)   #15
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doc, I think DSG was joking, check the [sarcasm] boxes.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1710925)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well I hope he was. Bearing in mind the nationality of one of the site owners.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1710926)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
It looks like an overtaking free zone for F1.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1710957)   #18
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto
I been to Alabama not a place for F1 at all. Alabama is all about Stocks cars and that is it. I think it just Dale Earnhardt Jr whating to have a F1 event because he a big fan.
And, if you read the article it says they have not ruled out an F1 bid but no discussions have taken place. That's a long way from F1 in Alabama in my view.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1710969)   #19
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry I didn't mean any offence. It was meant to be satirical.

N.B. Sorry Mods, I think my apology caused more problems than the original post.

I will stop apologising now.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1710970)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well after EERO's explanation, it doesn't seen so hard to happen.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1711216)   #21
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"warm 10 mos of the year"/ Indeed! very, very warm for 6 of the 10 and very humid as well.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1711219)   #22
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTWAlabama has done everything possible to earn its reputation, I've lived there.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1711304)   #23
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
No,if F1 goes there,the "allegators" will be on the track.
I can't believe this line went another 10 posts before getting the applause it so clearly deserves!

Personally, I find that circuit diagram very uninspiring...

Last edited by shiny side up!; 15 Sep 2006 at 18:46.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1711339)   #24
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Check out the actual website, there are two distinct schemes for two different sites.

You can see them here. http://www.alabamamotorsportspark.co...siteplans.html
Old 15 Sep 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1711369)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Baldwin County version of the Road course reminds me of Miller Motorsports Park, 2 separate loops joined together on the Start finish line and a parallel section of infield circuit.

The Pritchard site looks to be a similar concept for the road course as well