Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 Aug 2000, 18:11 (Ref:28738)   #1
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year I am going to go to my first abroad GP, at Spa. As this is my first time does anyone have any tips for viewing at the circuit. I have bronze admission tickets, and I would like to know where there are TV screens and the best viewing positions, also can you see eau rouge from bronze admission.

Thank you.
Old 6 Aug 2000, 18:41 (Ref:28745)   #2
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, ozywoodwards,

take a look at http://www.f1ticketshop.com, there you'll can see where are located the giant TV screens.
Old 6 Aug 2000, 19:11 (Ref:28748)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have a great time Ozywoodwards. I'm racing there in September. I know you'll love the place.
Old 7 Aug 2000, 00:07 (Ref:28835)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ozy! I did Spa last year, so here's what I remember:

Bronze admission is also what I had and it was pretty darned good. With that ticket you can stand at the Bus Stop chicane (get there early if you want to!). We were at Pouhon for qualifying because you can see the tv screens from there.
You will only see Eau Rouge with a general admission if you get there very early - people stake out patches of grass right next to La Source.

When you arrive, take a deep breath, and look in awe at what stretches right before your eyes. Yes, Eau Rouge - the most fantastic corner in the world. Magic.

Anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And have a fantastic time!!!!

Old 7 Aug 2000, 11:02 (Ref:28913)   #5
Schume
Racer

Schume should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ozy, you could'nt have picked a better track for your first "abroad GP"

Bronze Tickets are great for Spa. Lots of places where you can get a good view of the action.

As MF said Pouhon is good for the TV screen, there's lots space on the banking overlooking the track.
Eau Rouge is more tricky, but it will be one of the first things you see when you get to the track, even if you can't get to watch from there.

Stavelot is good too if you don't mind a long walk to get there.

We watched the race from the Bus Stop last year, great view from the woods above if you can't get there early enough to get on the fence. It's also close to the finish so that you can get down onto the track fairly quickly after the race.
Will probably be up in the woods there this year too, so look out for someone with a 10 Tenths Cap.

Have a look at http://www.spa-francorchamps.be and the Track Section for an overview of the track.

Huge great hot dogs with tons of onions and chips with mayo to go with the beer tooooo...
Old 7 Aug 2000, 13:58 (Ref:28940)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent

Tourist and I passed the Bus Stop en-route round the circuit after the race last year, and my god, it looked like a bomb site...

Schume, how clean is your house???

Old 7 Aug 2000, 17:09 (Ref:28971)   #7
Schume
Racer

MF, my house is quite clean, except on race weekends...

True, the Bus Stop was a bomb site.
There were mountains of beer cans, chip cones etc.

Also had the fire brigade turn up to put out the flames in the trees after some guys set off their fireworks during the race.

All good fun though...

It's not much different to "the trenches" on lots of tracks.

Old 8 Aug 2000, 08:54 (Ref:29079)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ozy,

I went to Spa a few years ago ('96?), There's plenty of excellent viewing opportunities from the Bronze zones. The thing that really hits you is how steep Eau Rouge really is.
Old 8 Aug 2000, 14:00 (Ref:29145)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
It certainly does. On tv it looks nothing, but man, if you walk up it...
Old 8 Aug 2000, 14:10 (Ref:29147)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Try driving it.

Actually, the original Eau Rouge can still be driven. You drive down past the pits and instead of swinging round to the right, the track takes a sharp left before looping right back at the top of the current configuration. Imagine that in an F1 car of the sixties or earlier.
Old 8 Aug 2000, 15:55 (Ref:29168)   #11
Schume
Racer

Hoping to be able to drive, slowly, on the bits of the track that are public roads on the Monday after the GP.
Old 8 Aug 2000, 16:21 (Ref:29171)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You'll be impressed. I can recommend a trip round the old circuit. Head up through Eau Rouge but don't turn off at Les Combes (you can't unless you're on a bike). Follow the road all the way to the Malmedy junction by the motorway. Cross the roundabout and head to Stavelot. Before Stavelot there's a left hand sweep. Take that and you are on the long stretch which then runs past the exit of the new Stavelot and onwards to Blanchiment. You can't take the Bus Stop but you then head straight on to La Source. Turn right at La Source and you're on your way again. BTW. You can't actually go up the current Eau Rouge. You have to take the old road which was the original. Too many people tried to emulate JV etc.
Old 9 Aug 2000, 07:26 (Ref:29259)   #13
Schume
Racer

Thanks for the tour guide Peter, I'll give that route a try.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 17:13 (Ref:30179)   #14
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to say thanks for all your advice, and to ask one more question.

Is it possible to buy english programmes?

Thanks again.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 20:40 (Ref:30214)   #15
Schume
Racer

Ozy, the programme comes in English and French, both in the same book. So no problem there....
Old 16 Aug 2000, 10:18 (Ref:30901)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just another thought. Why not visit the Motorsport museum in Stavelot? Apart from the history of the circuit and some interesting racing cars, you can gaze longingly (I did) at the Martin brothers' Group 1 (Spice) Capri which finished second in the 24 hours in 1980.
Old 29 Aug 2000, 10:31 (Ref:33625)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well????????????
Old 30 Aug 2000, 01:55 (Ref:33825)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to Spa next year even if it rains. Can you camp in the infield? Can you see the race from the campsites?
Old 30 Aug 2000, 08:11 (Ref:33862)   #19
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All these and many more questions will be answered soon when Brilliant Bob (Schume) unveils his Ten Tenths Circuit Guide to Spa.

Old 5 Sep 2000, 20:46 (Ref:35177)   #20
Schume
Racer

We're back from Belgium and The Spa Guide is in production as we speak....

Sorry Liz, you can't camp in the infield or see the race from a campsite, unless you have very powerful binoculars

Other bad news is that the museum at Stavelot is closed until next June while it is rebuilt.

Andy, Brilliant Bob is the tops, unfortunately I can't drive half quickly as him. But I do have a piccy of his car.