Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 Jan 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1510682)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Question of Books - The Motoraces Book Club

I'm sure many of you will have come across the white dust jacketed books issued by MBC in the 1960's. They were reprints of motor racing books that were out of print from the previous couple of decades and were issued to club members, one every two months at the cost of 7 shillings plus 1 shilling P & P! The editorial adviser was William 'Bill' Boddy. I have the following:-

MBC 1 - A Racing Driver's World - Rudolf Caracciola
MBC 2 - Behind the Scenes of Motor Racing - Ken Gregory
MBC 4 - The Racing Coopers - Arthur Owen
MBC 5 - Touch Wood - Duncan Hamilton
MBC 9 - The Gordon Bennett Races - Lord Montagu of Beaulieu
MBC 13 - 7 Year Twitch - Marcus Chambers
MBC 15 - Alf Francis - Peter Lewis
MBC 16 - Amateur Racing Driver - T.P. Cholmondeley-Tapper

As you can see, there are some pretty well known titles here, and they are a good alternative to the expensive originals if you are more interested in the content than the collectability. Now, my questions are:-

1) What are the titles of the missing numbers?
2) What number did they eventually get up to?
3) What year were they finally issued?
Old 29 Jan 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1511246)   #2
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's been a thread about this over on Atlas: here it is
Old 29 Jan 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1511274)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many thanks, Pete; thought I might get a response from you. I note the values (in dollars), so they are collectable in their right.

It appears that there were 28 numbered in the series, and up to possibly 8 others which were not given numbers. Interestingly, I also have 'Private Entrant' by Michael Cooper-Evans which on the other list is given as no. 20, although my copy has no number displayed anywhere, even though I have it with dust jacket. It is also now clear that not all had the white dust covers.