Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:58 (Ref:1468994)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Legge's F1 Test

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34585

According to Stoddart" "On the third day of Minardi's last test, at Vallelunga, it was pleasing to see Katherine complete her test," he said.

"She set one of the fastest times of the past three days, proving that she's definitely got what it takes to be an F1 driver."
Old 24 Nov 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1469170)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Testing times - Vallelunga (day three):

1. Juan Caceres Minardi-Cosworth 1min 21.019secs

2. Katherine Legge Minardi-Cosworth 1min 21.176secs

3. Chanoch Nissany Minardi-Cosworth 1min 24.65secs
Old 24 Nov 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1469615)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2nd fastest time of the few days...shame they haven't posted the time Paul Stoddart set himself for comparison

It's also a shame there aren't any recognised markers to compare against there (i.e. Albers, Doornbos etc.) - at least she beat Nissany, else she'd be in trouble.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1469673)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically, she and Caceres were doing their first laps ever in a F1 car and she wasn't off the pace so I guess it was a good test. It was a first one anyway so it doesn't mean a lot.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1469766)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
These tests don't mean anything. KK is giving her an F1 test via Cosworth and a ChampCar test via PKV. It's PR.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1469941)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty good PR IMO. Considering she was fairly quick and consistent can only bode well for her future as well.
She's a lucky girl. Good for her.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Nov 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1470026)   #7
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking good though and good practise for the Champcar test. Should of given her more of an idea about the power/braking. I'm aware they are different but still ever run helps. The fact she crashed on day one while not good showed she couldquickly recover and not let it affect her pace on day two. From that point of view it was important and as she said herself she has not been racing full singel seater seasons for long. Hope she goes to Champcar when she is ready to and is fast. I am glad she is waiting though and seems to be smart and knowledgeable. I'm sure a few PR people would love to see her in a Champcar now for the coverage.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1470316)   #8
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish her all the best. But would we even be discussing this if this was Sam or Steve Legge?

It's a great pr-stunt, but it's just that. She is very lucky that Danica Patrick caused somewhat of a hype and cc wants to capitalize on that with her. I expect her to run in cc in 2006 or 2007, but untill this moment i have not seen anything special apart from her being female that suggest she should get a cc-drive over valliant, fogarty, dalziel or hunter-reay to name a few.
Old 25 Nov 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1470318)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, I think we'd still be discussing it. Any Atlantic driver who is awarded an F1-test would draw attention.
Old 26 Nov 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1470432)   #10
elementsports
Rookie

elementsports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tests do not mount to much , going on race results she will get a drive as all the poor drivers do in F1 with cash or funny management or should i say clever (nothing against you Kathrine), how about these teams giving quality drivers tests.. or do they have to wait for Autosport to pick them out!!!! HHHMMM but still the wrong drivers do not get to prove how good they are.. RE: Foster: Bridgman: Westbook etc etc etc
F1 Teams look at the drivers rather than the PR and B*ll or the under the table deals that we should all know about before a driver sits in a car!!
Old 26 Nov 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1470656)   #11
karting legend
Rookie

karting legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
elementsport i fully agree but i think you may have started a very old debate
Old 26 Nov 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1470677)   #12
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Yeah, I think we'd still be discussing it. Any Atlantic driver who is awarded an F1-test would draw attention.
Macdaddy, i must admit i hadn't thought of that viewpoint, and indeed any atlantic driver testing in f1 would be discussed here.

However, i don't think there would have been a test for Sam or Steve Legge or any other male atlantic driver, 'cause kk/forsythe wouldn't be funding it. (i mean only based on performance zwollsman should have been awarded the test. He didn't get the drive and legge did, only because she is female).
Old 27 Nov 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1471542)   #13
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
These tests don't mean anything. KK is giving her an F1 test via Cosworth and a ChampCar test via PKV. It's PR.
I agree.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1471573)   #14
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
I do give her credit for putting herself out there though in this sport, but do you think she's getting caught up in the PR and losing site of her realistic goals that she started out with here - or am I just jealous?
Old 27 Nov 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1471615)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we would be talking about it if it was a different Atlantics driver with 3 race wins in the 2005 season. I don't know if we would be discussing with as much detail, etc.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1471622)   #16
Motley
Rookie

Motley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
I do give her credit for putting herself out there though in this sport, but do you think she's getting caught up in the PR and losing site of her realistic goals that she started out with here - or am I just jealous?
I think you're jealous, because her goals, as are every race care driver, is to race in Formula One. So I don't think she's losing site of her goals, because that is her goal. Everyone seems to be forgeting that this test was for "experience", not to secure an F1 ride. It gives her something to build on. To boost her confidence. Also she proved that it was more than a "PR" stunt, because she can actually drive.
It was a learning experience that she will take with her next season, no matter where she ends up.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1471704)   #17
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
fair enough - she is a very beautiful talented racer, I suppose I am jealous. I hope Bessette gets to his goals too - though I doubt he'll get the same amount of PR. Good luck to both of them!
Old 27 Nov 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1471713)   #18
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard she stuffed it after 2 laps on the first day... I mean its a big jump from atlantics to F1, I'm not even sure a jump that big is safe...
Old 27 Nov 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1471747)   #19
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm
I heard she stuffed it after 2 laps on the first day... I mean its a big jump from atlantics to F1, I'm not even sure a jump that big is safe...
Yes I can acknowledge that and have thought it myself too. I'm sure I am still jealous though because anyone who loves speed I suppose dreams of a ride in F1 - even for a few laps. Insofar as an actual career of racing though - I agree too that there are steps along the way in feeder series that should be learned and experienced first for everyone's eventual safety on that F1 track. She does have extra pressure, I'm sure though, being a female to be there ASAP. Oh, the poor dear - so many race cars.....so little time! Does she have any plans that anyone knows about education/career wise other than racing just in case or for after? I've not heard anything about her on that front and there doesn't seem to be anything of that nature on her website.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 06:29 (Ref:1471838)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm

Could have happened to anyone.

She was back the next day and completed a good number of quick laps.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1471840)   #21
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but with no REAL drivers to compare laps to, what does it really say?.....
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1472027)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Who is to say she is not a "real" driver?

There are many talented shoes out there who never get even a sniff of an F1 test. The reasons Driver A gets one and Driver B does not are often a mystery. Legge got one and showed she is at least capable of handling the car. Heck, to my way of thinking the spin showed she is at least pushing out there. And if "stuffing it" is the guideline than most of the grid in any professional series would be eliminated as they all have done so!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1472036)   #23
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no my comment was that she was not being judged against any quality drivers i.e. the 2 current guys... or Ex guys now!

as for fencing it.... well she hardly won any friends in the paddock by doing so at low speed, and nothing like pushing it.... it was the TC kicking in and she backed out of it.... bang, fence .... all over
Old 28 Nov 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1472319)   #24
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Well, the car wasn't badly damaged - she held her head up and went back in there the next day - so that's worth alot of credit to her in my book. Maybe she has a taste enough of F1 and will be getting soon a taste of Champ Car so as to be able to more finely tune her skills that she will need for either of them in a few years. Until then, I'm sure she will only improve on the skills she already has and that'll be lots for the PR people to keep talking about really - no matter where she is I guess. Yes, I'm still jealous though...
Old 28 Nov 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1472552)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to find a common ground with Katherine or Danica or any woman driving... some people defend them a bit too much and some others almost demand more of them than from the guys...