Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 May 2004, 13:44 (Ref:977725)   #1
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villeneuve to test Williams!

Autosport is claiming that Villeneuve is confirmed to be testing the Williams this year. First two paragraphs as follows.

Williams is lining up a test for Jacques Villeneuve later this season, putting further pressure on Ralf Schumacher to turn around his disappointing campaign if he is to see out the year with the team.
The combination of Schumacher's drop in form, his troubled relationship with team management, his decision to join Toyota and confirmation of the Villeneuve test, casts doubts on his chances of keeping his race seat.

They have not included any quotes from Williams in the article but also not used the words 'sources close to the team' so this mean its true right?
Where and when has not been confirmed but Autosport is speculating the test will be at Jerez which testing starts on the 22nd of June.

What do you think guys? Villeneuve bashers need not reply.
Old 21 May 2004, 13:48 (Ref:977729)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Villeneuve to test Williams!

Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
[...]but also not used the words 'sources close to the team' so this mean its true right?
Errmm, no. "Sources close to whatever" in rough translation means "we say whatever we please, and if we're wrong well, don't blame us, but we made you pay for that paper"

Last edited by Red; 21 May 2004 at 13:50.
Old 21 May 2004, 13:50 (Ref:977734)   #3
hamsmith
Racer

surely if you say the test has been 'confirmed' then you would be sued if it were to be untrue.
Old 21 May 2004, 13:50 (Ref:977735)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The reason to get Ralf to raise his game might be pointless if he has signed for Toyota.

I've heard things from people that I could call sources and it was less than favourable towards this...

still we wait to see...
Old 21 May 2004, 13:53 (Ref:977736)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can confirm that this is the forst thread for at least two days where I haven't had to insert the initials JV at some point.

You could be right. It could be true. It could be pure speculation. In other words there's nothing of substance either way.

There is a quote from Patrick about Ant Davidson though. And that means it has more substance than this one.
Old 21 May 2004, 13:53 (Ref:977737)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hamsmith, is this from the magazine or the wesbite? (I don't have my copy to hand). Thanks.
Old 21 May 2004, 13:58 (Ref:977744)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hamsmith
surely if you say the test has been 'confirmed' then you would be sued if it were to be untrue.
No, you can't be sued for this. However you'd lose credibility. So "soures close" is a facile way to keep the audience awake, on short term, but don't lose face on long term. Besides, assuming that it actually happens, they can always say "we told you so!!!". Either way, by stirring that sh.. I mean pot they only win and don't lose.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:15 (Ref:977758)   #8
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in Montreal, the newspaper La Presse is saying that Villeneuve's comeback is 99% sure since he signed a deal with BMW-Williams. He should do tests on may 30 at Monza
(Weird since there's a race that week-end) and that they already made his seat.

For french people, the article his here:
http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/sports/nouv...21-084547.html
Old 21 May 2004, 14:17 (Ref:977760)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah its always like that... "sources close to the team".. "a Williams insider".... usually these are techs used by the journalists to make their story credible...

(as you can see im not a JV lover... )
Old 21 May 2004, 14:20 (Ref:977765)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTW we didnt have so many JV threads when he was IN f1 than we are having when he is OUT of F1... so in a way it would be good if he returned...
Old 21 May 2004, 14:23 (Ref:977770)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, almost thought this was the real deal, but it's just "Autosport is claiming"...
Old 21 May 2004, 14:26 (Ref:977774)   #12
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport - the Sunday Sport of motorsport journalism. The fact they haven't even claimed "sources close to the team" probably means they didn't even bother asking because they know full well it's pure fiction.

As for losing credibility, that presumes there's some to be lost in the first place...

And this isn't a Villeneuve bash - it's a media bash.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:38 (Ref:977788)   #13
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Agreed Garcon, Sad isn't it!! You can't believe anything you read, which begs the question, is there an F1 website source that has 100 percent reliability? If yes, please post it someone.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:49 (Ref:977791)   #14
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to believe this is true, but Autosport is way, Way, WAY down on my list of credible reads. We'll see.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:53 (Ref:977799)   #15
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Agreed Garcon, Sad isn't it!! You can't believe anything you read, which begs the question, is there an F1 website source that has 100 percent reliability? If yes, please post it someone.
100%? No, but in term of rumours and unconfirmed things, http://www.grandprix.com is the only one that gets my vote. It seems to be written by fairly clued-in people.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:18 (Ref:977816)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
BTW we didnt have so many JV threads when he was IN f1 than we are having when he is OUT of F1...
Unfortunately you're not right ralfie: there already was an overwhelming JV thread redundancy when he was running

Last edited by climb; 21 May 2004 at 15:18.
Old 21 May 2004, 16:09 (Ref:977863)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't understand why Villeneuve has to be tested anyways. He's either good enough or he isn't. It's a bit worrying he has to prove himself worthy of a drive by a test rather than jumping straight into a seat.
Old 21 May 2004, 16:43 (Ref:977895)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess there can be several meanings to the word 'test' when it comes to F1 and proven veteran drivers. As far as I'm concerned once that seat has been fitted, JV is there for next year. In this case the "test" aspect is merely JV familiarizing himself with the Williams car and "testing" its limits in preparation for his next start GP start (that may be sooner than 2005, I might add).

Last edited by Kirk; 21 May 2004 at 16:47.
Old 21 May 2004, 16:49 (Ref:977905)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I do think it will be a two way test (or one way the other way round). He has been out of it a year and hence JV v2004 is not a fully known quantity. Williams certainly won't treat it any other way.

As far as I'm concerned once he is sat on the grid in Melbourne 2005 I'll consider it a done deal. I'm afraid I don't think that'll happen.
Old 21 May 2004, 16:51 (Ref:977910)   #20
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know... it is not like JV left F1 whilst on a hot streak. I think it would be fair to expect Williams to put him through a test session or two to make sure the gamble of signing him would be worth it. As Head said at Monaco, both his test drivers right now are very capable. JV would have to at least be able to keep up with them in a test to make him a realistic option...
Old 21 May 2004, 16:56 (Ref:977914)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They'll probably plump for younger guys though......although they did that for the '95 season (Coulthard instead of Mansell) and fell short so you never know. I think they regretted that decision (actually, as a diehard Nige fan, I bloody well hope they did!!!).
Old 21 May 2004, 19:52 (Ref:978068)   #22
hamsmith
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
hamsmith, is this from the magazine or the wesbite? (I don't have my copy to hand). Thanks.
The magazine. The website has nothing of the story. The two paragraphs are written word for word. I believe Villeneuve will get his opportunity to run in a Williams this year but as some are already saying Williams will most likely pick up a new/newish up and comming driver which isn't necessarily a bad thing for Villeneuve because if he puts in some good laps some other teams might sit up and take note.
Old 21 May 2004, 21:10 (Ref:978122)   #23
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep hamsmith...I'm hoping for Toyota if not Williams.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 21 May 2004, 21:36 (Ref:978137)   #24
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it is true because i just can't wait for his comeback and celebrate his return with a (more than 1)cold one.
Old 21 May 2004, 21:37 (Ref:978138)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaaargh! Another JV rumor!

How much can one man take!? How long must we put up with this? Bring him back, bring him back now! Let's see Michael bury this has-been once and for all! Hell, lets see Button and Sato bury him too!

Sorry folks, I'm better now...

Danica Patrick
Closed Thread