Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Oct 2003, 13:22 (Ref:764529)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.co...supercar15.JPG
Old 27 Oct 2003, 16:10 (Ref:764701)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
The ACO would never approve that for GTS -not without a big restrictor penalty until they'd built 25 or so anyway....

Last edited by KA; 27 Oct 2003 at 16:10.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 12:54 (Ref:765675)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands

Thanks for that Paul. Its lovely to see it again. If that's a model, I'd rather like to have one........
Old 28 Oct 2003, 12:57 (Ref:765679)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see it's a one-off model.

And it's for sale - POA

Bearing in mind that the rather dull Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle has a £6,500 price tag, I fear Supercar might be substantially beyond my means........

(Did they ever make a Corgi or Dinky version..... )
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:43 (Ref:765724)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I see it's a one-off model.

And it's for sale - POA

Bearing in mind that the rather dull Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle has a £6,500 price tag, I fear Supercar might be substantially beyond my means........

(Did they ever make a Corgi or Dinky version..... )
I don't think Corgi or Dnky ever did, but I'm sure I've seen one in a model collectors magazine over the years- probably some incredibly rare original 60's toy that's worth a small fortune though.....
Old 28 Oct 2003, 14:22 (Ref:765762)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a Supercar model as a kid...dont think it was Corgi or Dinky though...I beat myself up on a regular basis when I think back to the Gerry Anderson, Doctor Who,James Bond and original Action Man figures and costumes that fell victim to my psychotic childish whims mwuuuhahahahaha

let's not even talk about the Tyrrell's Lotusesesess (Lotii?), Yardley McLarens and Ferarris that I just didn't appreciate as anything other than crash fodder at that age

sorry this has wandered a touch off topic

Last edited by PaulSands; 28 Oct 2003 at 14:22.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 19:09 (Ref:766083)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good topic though. I'm tempted to split it (if I can work out how) and send the relevant bit to the Armchair.......
Old 28 Oct 2003, 19:21 (Ref:766092)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
For those who wonder what this thread is and where it came from....

Its a twist I guess on the memorabilia threads we've had before....

It arose in the Sportscars forum where the question was asked, What is a supercar?. Paul then posted a lovely pic of a Supercar model (for those old enough to remember Supercar.

It would be nice to think of what we may have lurking in the loft gathering dust or the desperate giveaways that we now look back on as being huge mistakes (e.g. those boxed Corgi/Dinky/Matchbox models from (some of) our childhoods).

Any stories out there folks?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:50 (Ref:766966)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I just got myself a scalextric RS200 from ebay - once I've changed the braids it's party time! Also there's a great company that does scalexric compatible models of things like 6R4's, RS1800's, Audi S1, 205T16 etc etc.

I've still got loads of diecast Matchbox cars but in the usual style they got crashed and bashed although they are still (mostly) complete (apart from paint). These are now getting a second lease of life (or second chance to die) at the hands of my girlfriends child - got to get them interested early!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 15:20 (Ref:767034)   #10
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, I had thousands (literally) of Matchbox cars, My Mum gave them away to Oxfam when I was 15. Pleas of 'They'll be worth something in a few years' fell on deaf ears......

I remember a Vauxhall Cavalier I had, metallic red it was. I used to play with it, pretending to be John Cleland in the BTCC.....Those were the days.

I want another one!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 15:58 (Ref:767059)   #11
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have none ... but would like to have a few models of classic cars .. mainly italian ... that because i can;t get the real things

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Oct 2003, 16:13 (Ref:767077)   #12
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think Corgi or Dnky ever did, but I'm sure I've seen one in a model collectors magazine over the years- probably some incredibly rare original 60's toy that's worth a small fortune though.....
I think corgi re-released the Spectrum Persuit Vehicle a couple of years ago along with all the Thunderbirds vehicles.
It was not as good as the first issue's were, but it still had the sideways firing ejector seat
Old 29 Oct 2003, 16:47 (Ref:767117)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've got a rather nice 1:43rd of one of Sennas JPS Lotuses which I've had since he was driving them......
Old 29 Oct 2003, 20:54 (Ref:767387)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'd love to still have the Lotus 25 i made, and the Concorde model i have. I fear it might be difficult to replace the latter one now
Old 29 Oct 2003, 20:55 (Ref:767390)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
They'll probably flood the market with Concorde memorabilia models....
Old 30 Oct 2003, 00:42 (Ref:767599)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars! I have more than 100 now, and I'm not willing to give them up!

I have, 1/18 Jaguar R2 (PDLR), Williams FW24 (JPM), and Renault R23 (Alonso), a Subaru Impreza (Makinen-Lindstrom) and a Ford Focus (McRae'01), also a Ferrari F2001 transparent (Tamiya), a boatload of 1/43 rally and F1 cars, several road cars such as Ferraris, a Corvette, Mustang, a Jag XJ220... and some 1/24 NASCAR Ford Tauruses driven by Jeff Burton
Old 30 Oct 2003, 09:59 (Ref:767913)   #17
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always tried to resist the huge numbers of model cars out there - I fear that madness, bankruptcy and the need for a bigger house all lie on that route somewhere!

Hence, I only have a small number of models, but the ones I have got mean something special to me. They include the limited edition Prost 51 wins which has a model of the Williams with Alain standing next to it, Pete Dumbreck's Macau winning F3 car, Jason Plato's Championship winning Renault Spider.

I hope to spot a Sato Macau F3 car one day...
Old 30 Oct 2003, 12:15 (Ref:768000)   #18
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Model cars.... oh dear.

I've still got all my Matchbox ones - some are very playworn from years of childhood GP d'Axminsters. The boxes have long gone, but some of the favourite ones still have most of their paint intact. These days though, the delight comes from building 1/43rd scale models. I do have large numbers of diecasts but for me, I would far rather build the things myself.

Besides, the short-run white-metal or resin market can offer a much broader range of designs and liveries than the die-cast manufacturers could hope to do. And if the model is not 100% accurate, with a kit, one can adapt or enhance it without the risk of slashing the value of a "mint and boxed" model.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 13:44 (Ref:768070)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
GP d'Axminsters.

Ah yes, the GP d'Axminster, I remember it well Tim. (Actually, for us it was more like the GP de Rug that Noone Else Wanted, but the principle was much the same.

When I was 5-6 years old, we used to have a carpet through our lounge and hall, which had a wonderfully fluid and cruling design which made a perfect track. I refined the process considerably, using dice throws to move the cars one cars length for each number on the dice. My races lasted a long time, but I enjoyed myself. My mum still remembers them, even to this day!

Can you imagine kids of that age still enjoying such simple pleasures.....?

(No, I thought not..... )
Old 30 Oct 2003, 15:56 (Ref:768187)   #20
KA
Veteran

So that's where those posts from the 'Supercars' thread went!!!

I know what you mean about the GP d'Axminsters- I remember a couple of carpets in my parents house when I was a kid that had patterns ideal for that kind of thing- (one had a sort of sculpted pattern of squares- the divisions between these looked just like narrow roads with 90-degree corners at each end)

Even better, the pile of builders' sand that sat in the garden for a while when they had some building work done, so we could design our own track.....

I must have had at least a few hundred cars, and didn't keep any of them- and now I really wish I had- and that's before you start on Scalextric and Action Man and all those 60's/70's toys I had that are now valuable collectors items (fortunately I did keep most of my train set though)

Mind you, I started collecting diecasts a few years ago, and probably have far more cars now than I had back then.....

Last edited by KA; 30 Oct 2003 at 16:05.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 16:04 (Ref:768199)   #21
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by F3lollipops
I have always tried to resist the huge numbers of model cars out there - I fear that madness, bankruptcy and the need for a bigger house all lie on that route somewhere!

Believe me, speaking as someone whose model car collection has got a bit out of control (500-ish, and foolishly, has other model-making or collecting interests apart from cars), at least one of the conditions you mentioned may yet be a possibility- the need for a bigger house is top of the list (you wouldn't believe the state of my loft...), but that may just bring on the other two even quicker....

Last edited by KA; 30 Oct 2003 at 16:06.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 21:50 (Ref:768521)   #22
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with TimD, I have 450 1/43 scale models, all built by yours truly an d a rather large number of them have been modified to suit my collecting theme.
The toys/models I had as a child have long gone, although I did make a tidy sum of money from my old Hornby train set.
The Grand Prix de Axminster was always held at Brands Hatch and Jim Clark always won!
Glyn
Old 30 Oct 2003, 23:13 (Ref:768593)   #23
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a really cool Black F1 Sauber toy car which i lost, i was really angry...it was great fun making it beat the Ferrari
Old 31 Oct 2003, 23:02 (Ref:769730)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today my collection grew one more since I bought the Le Mans'99 winner, the BMW V12 LMR
Old 1 Nov 2003, 16:11 (Ref:770159)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Even I like that one - even though its a Beemer!