Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 3 May 2003, 03:15 (Ref:588156)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ugh....

4 serious crashes in a month now. 2 of them fatal. 1 rally, one bike, one open-wheel, and one stock car. Admittedly, Possum's wasn't during an event... But I can't help but just start to feel really sick to my stomach.

What do the rest of you think? Is this going to trigger another knee-jerk response like we saw after Imola '94? _Is_ there that much that can be done anymore other than just shutting down the whole sport?

I might just stay out of this and listen to what the rest of you have to say. My thoughts are with Jerry and his family right now, as they were with Daijiro and Possum previously.
Old 3 May 2003, 03:29 (Ref:588161)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should mention, if any of the mods can think of a better place for this discussion, feel free to move it.
Old 3 May 2003, 05:17 (Ref:588192)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not think there will be a knee jerk reaction like Imola '94, simply because the accidents have all been isolated, and not really big name drivers. As sad as it is, the death of a Senna or Clark causes more change then that of Kato or Bourne There is unjust in that perhaps, but I do not feel there is a need for change. Racing is about as safe as it will ever be at present. As others around here say, change the cars, not the circuits...
Old 3 May 2003, 09:04 (Ref:588283)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there even anything to discuss? How can you start to panic and say that there may be a knee-jerk circuit change reaction, when the accidents in question have all been so different. Stock cars are very different from open wheelers. They are in turn very different from bikes, and Possum's accident wasn't even on a circuit, so what's to debate?

I think you're just over-reacting on your own personal pet issue again, Lee, and I can't see the point of this topic.
Old 3 May 2003, 13:35 (Ref:588469)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The four accidents were completely unrelated, so I don't think there's anything you can take from it, other than when you get on something that moves very fast, you're taking a risk. Boat racing is probably even more dangerous than car racing.

The knee-jerk reaction after Imola occured because there were several accidents which resulted in severe injury or death in one particular series in a span of two weekends. And in retrospect, F1 really did need a safety look over at the time after many lucky years. No doubt they have saved a life or two.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 May 2003, 15:19 (Ref:588526)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, I think this thread is pointless.

Motorsport is dangerous and can be fatal. Period.
Old 3 May 2003, 16:10 (Ref:588546)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ought to take back what I said above. This thread is not pointless - instead, it can develop into a very interesting debate.

Neverthless, I stand by my words. Although, of course, efforts must not be spared to minimize the consequences of a crash, accidents are a part of the sport and are unavoidable. I do not expect just about any racing fan to accept a serious injury or a death due to a shunt, but one should accept that it may occur. And it [I]will[/] happen again.

When Stefan Bellof, my racing hero, died at Spa-Francorchamps in 1985, I felt devastaded. Years later I lost two friends in separate racing crashes, one of which was particularly gruesome. Then, a team member died in another incident. I did not and I never will accept their deaths (I do not think that there is such a thing as "closure", made popular in the United States by talk shows on tv), but they perished doing what they most loved to do. Nobody put them into this sport - and that spot - against their will. Also, having known them closely for years, I can state that they understood quite well the risks of the game.

Yes, I was so sorry with these accidents that my passion for motorsport was shaken. But ultimately I realized that this - my passion for motorsport - was stonger that the feeling of loss of my friends, and I carried on being a racing fan (as I like to label me). This may sound heartless, but it is true - to me, to my beliefs.

I do not want to classify people between "racing fans" and "true racing fans". This would be stupid - extremely stupid. And to rank people int these two categories by their ability to put the sport above the loss of a loved one would be foolish. But if you like racing you should better understand that someone - including yourself seating on the grandstand, my friend - my get hurt, seriously hurt.

I accept that.
Old 4 May 2003, 18:23 (Ref:589348)   #8
IRLS
Rookie

IRLS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, you said that in '94 there were several fatal crashes spanning two weeks. apart from senne and ratzenburger at imola, who else died and where?
Old 4 May 2003, 21:36 (Ref:589550)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I actually said was: "there were several accidents which resulted in severe injury or death in one particular series in a span of two weekends" And the other two were Barichello and Wendlinger.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes