Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Apr 2002, 08:24 (Ref:261821)   #1
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the other hand, credit where it's due:-

FORMULA ONE DRIVER MICHAEL SCHUMACHER TO BE NAMED UNESCO CHAMPION FOR SPORT

Paris, April 11 - German Formula One racing driver Michael Schumacher will be named UNESCO Champion for Sport by UNESCO Director-General Koïchiro Matsuura at a ceremony at UNESCO Headquarters on Monday, April 15, at 5.30 p.m., which will be followed by a press conference.

The nomination of Schumacher comes "in recognition of his role in the promotion of sport, his contribution to UNESCO's educational action in favour of young people all over the world, and his dedication to the Organization's ideals".

The four-times world champion (1994, 1995, 2000 and 2001) and driver for Ferrari since 1996 has placed sport at the service of disadvantaged children since 1995. He was named UNESCO Special Envoy for Education and Sports and donated DM250,000 to UNESCO, money paid to him by the German magazine Bunte for exclusive photo of his wedding.

Further substantial donations by him enabled the building of a school in Dakar (Senegal) in 1996 and improvements to be made in the city's slum suburb of Baraka as part of a joint UNESCO/Enda Third World project. In 1997, his generosity made possible the opening in Sarajevo of a clinic to help child war victims heal their psychological wounds and teach young amputees to use artificial limbs. This year, Schumacher's donations will fund the opening, in Lima (Peru), of a "Palace of the Poor", a centre for street children that will provide them with shelter, food, medical care and pre-school education.

Other leading sports figures have rallied to UNESCO's cause, including French judo champion David Douillet and football player Edson Arantes de Nascimiento, better known as "King Pele."

Well done Michael

Robert
Old 16 Apr 2002, 08:28 (Ref:261822)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a pity (or is it?) it will always be his on-track antics that will always be remembered.....
Old 16 Apr 2002, 09:34 (Ref:261854)   #3
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Balls! F1manoz!....Schumosi the world over will remember him always for his achievements!

Its upto the sour grape vendors to market their wine...we aint drinkin it.

A domination of the headlines for over a decade WILL bring him critics...but no, therell be a million Schumosi who remember his greatness. Always.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 09:52 (Ref:261866)   #4
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by downforce
Balls! F1manoz!....Schumosi the world over will remember him always for his achievements!

Its upto the sour grape vendors to market their wine...we aint drinkin it.

A domination of the headlines for over a decade WILL bring him critics...but no, therell be a million Schumosi who remember his greatness. Always.
yeah, but 500 million unbiased F1 fans will remember him for his not so reputable achievements
Old 16 Apr 2002, 10:08 (Ref:261880)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by calais

yeah, but 500 million unbiased F1 fans will remember him for his not so reputable achievements
From what resources do you actually get those statistic from?
In every race & in every track..what color does the majority of spectators wear?
Old 16 Apr 2002, 10:38 (Ref:261901)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red but as in FERRARI!!!

TGF just happens to drive for them.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:08 (Ref:261929)   #7
Fluffster
Rookie

Fluffster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
In every race & in every track..what color does the majority of spectators wear?
Red, probably. There will always be a multitude of glory hunters who back Ferrari, Schumacher, Manchester United, Tiger Woods, Chicago Bulls, LA Lakers or any other dominating team/athlete at the moment.

Last edited by Fluffster; 16 Apr 2002 at 11:08.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:18 (Ref:261943)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
before 2001 Ferrari was not exactly dominant. And the grandstands still were at least 75% red.

PS: What's wrong in supporting Manchester United or LA Lakers anyway?
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:48 (Ref:261996)   #9
Fluffster
Rookie

Fluffster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
What's wrong in supporting Manchester United or LA Lakers anyway?
Absolutely nothing.

I've just got a soft spot for the underdog. YMMV.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:52 (Ref:261998)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to the topic...

Are we absolutely sure that he won this award fair & square? I heard that another guy was called up on stage first, but then Schumi cut across him and beat him to the podium.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 11:52 (Ref:261999)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fluffster
Absolutely nothing.
I thought so. The "multitude of glory hunters" remark somehow must've misled me.

Last edited by Red; 16 Apr 2002 at 11:53.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 12:31 (Ref:262033)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well done again Michael! Class act (off the track for sure).
Old 16 Apr 2002, 16:18 (Ref:262286)   #13