Seems he's got away with just a fine.

http://www.fia.com/homepage/selection-a.html
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:37 (Ref:693251)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope that doesn't tell me anything other than yesterday's news.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:39 (Ref:693254)   #3
kimi020
Rookie

kimi020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf gets penalty reversed!! and a big fine!

http://www.fia.com/homepage/selection-a.html
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:40 (Ref:693256)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Yes, it confirms he got a fine instead. Thank god, sanity has returned.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:50 (Ref:693267)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
www.autosport.com

Quote:
Williams star Ralf Schumacher will not be penalised 10 places on the grid for the Hungarian Grand Prix for his part in causing a pile-up in the German Grand Prix – but will face a fine of $50,000.
There we go. A normal situation in Hungary then...
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:50 (Ref:693269)   #6
kimi020
Rookie

Just confirmed on Autosport.com

Williams star Ralf Schumacher will not be penalised 10 places on the grid for the Hungarian Grand Prix for his part in causing a pile-up in the German Grand Prix – but will face a fine of $50,000.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:51 (Ref:693270)   #7
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry peter there was no post saying that so i updated the thread.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:54 (Ref:693273)   #8
kimi020
Rookie

I have just posted two things the same as other people! I am to slow today.

Last edited by kimi020; 20 Aug 2003 at 13:55.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:57 (Ref:693274)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see the point of fining him that amount, it's pocket money for him. The simple truth is that, if he committed an offence in teh eyes of the FIA, which he clearly did, he's not being punished for it to any real extent.

What happens if Montoya wins the title with Kimi less than 6 points behind (he'd've surely finishedrd, reliability notwithstanding)? Won't McLaren ahve every right to feel aggrieved?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:00 (Ref:693280)   #10
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I add to this?

The FIA Court has also decided to ask the Hockenheim stewards to re-examine the role of Barrichello and Raikkonen in the accident? Is this appropriate? Firstly, the incident occured quite some time ago. Secondly, given that the FIA themselves have said that the penalty Ralf was given by these stewards was "inappropriate"? Thirdly, shouldn't the FIA be examining the conduct of drivers?

Fourth - and most significant of all - I see the Chief Steward at Hockenheim was the master of the inappropriate penalties! Yes folks - my darling NAZIR HOOSEIN! was there!

And now the FIA are going to let Naz et al decide what to do with Raikkonen and Barrichello! Those poor little drivers will probably get lifetime bans!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:02 (Ref:693283)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The pdf from the FIA

http://www.fia.com/PRESSE/20-08-2003-TAI-decision.pdf
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:02 (Ref:693284)   #12
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So he will be there to back up JPM after all then.
Or will he?
I think that this is his chance to show whoever that he is a potential Micheal (almost)and will go all out no matter what..and stuff Juan Pablo!!

The fine may have been paltry compared to hi earnings but at least they never interfered with the race, which would have been grossly unfair.

Last edited by Cobra; 20 Aug 2003 at 14:04.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:03 (Ref:693287)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Read the FIA statement Boots. Although they fined Ralf, they said the stewards used driver and video evidence (what we had), but they had the 3 cars telementry at the hearing and thought all maybe responsible in some way.

They are refering it back to the stewards to look into Rubins and Kimi.

Sanity has prevailed, a racing incedent pure and simple. 3 guys going for a peice of track that could fit 2.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:10 (Ref:693293)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sure the 3 are responsible in some way, they were racing !
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:10 (Ref:693294)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think it seems like an odd decision. If they thought he had done something wrong then the fine is pointless. However perhaps they are just making the punishment fit the crime. Ralf didn't do too much wrong, so he gets a minor penalty. ???????

What would be funny is if say Rubens gets a $10000 fine and Kimi a $25000 fine (say). Then do we reckon Ralf was 5 times more to blame than Rubens and twice as to blame as Kimi! Or whatever

At the end of the day I reckon Ralf getting a fine and the others not would be fair. Afterall it was caused mainly because they were all trying to win a motor race (should the FIA be fined for causing that), but it was Ralf's move that caused it.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:11 (Ref:693295)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Sure the 3 are responsible in some way, they were racing !
fine the FIA for putting on a motor race?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:20 (Ref:693303)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
fine the FIA for putting on a motor race?
Exactly !
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:21 (Ref:693305)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks pretty clear to me - Ralf won the appeal hands down, so the FIA just give him a meaningless fine to try and save face. It wouldn't do for the FIA to be seen to be completely wrong now would it?

It worries me what may now happen, given the stewards have been asked to revisit the roles of Kimi and Rubens. Can't they just let it rest? Surely they don't want this rumbling on and over-shadowing the best season climax in ages??
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:35 (Ref:693319)   #19
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just glad it's over. I didn't agree with the penalty in the first place. Okay, Ralf's got a clear shot for the grid next race, but even so a fine is still harsh considering 10 years ago that incident would have been an 'Ooops!' moment. They would have cleared up the bits, got on with it and that would be that.

Has F1 gone mad? The sport is just becoming too sanitised! If the same stewards were at Dijon in 1979 they would have had a field day with Arnoux and Villeneuve clattering around together for the last five laps!

They need to take a step back or else the racing is going to become more stifled than it has been for the last couple of years for fear of getting a penalty.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:39 (Ref:693324)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

God, $ 50,000... It would get me out of troubles for a lifetime...
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:39 (Ref:693325)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by RMR
sorry peter there was no post saying that so i updated the thread.
No problem. I suspect my work server doesn't update cookies very often so I keep getting the page I uploaded last week.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:41 (Ref:693326)   #22
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to say that for me the excitement has been put back into the race!!!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:47 (Ref:693336)   #23
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No just fine the fia for being!!!!!!!!

The point about the stewards being asked to look into ruhbins and kimmi's rolls in this is because the evidence(incl telemetery traces) and arguments that came out pointed to them maybe doing something wrong.
I can't see much more being done though-blame rhuby for trying everything he could to avoid the situation?-just try it fia!
Blame kimi for not moving as far left as he could(he still had 1/2m or more from the court eveidence)?Maybe....but i think it very unlikely.Everything happened too quickly for kimi to dodge accross closer to a concrete wall.
The stewards clearly want to make a point though so may make abit of a show trial to raise drivers awareness of the situation
...i would say they could do it to also raise the public's awareness as well so we are more accepting next time there is a startline accident they have to punish...
except this is the fia we are talking about right?what the **** do they care about what we think
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:47 (Ref:693337)   #24
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No just fine the fia for being!!!!!!!!

The point about the stewards being asked to look into ruhbins and kimmi's rolls in this is because the evidence(incl telemetery traces) and arguments that came out pointed to them maybe doing something wrong.
I can't see much more being done though-blame rhuby for trying everything he could to avoid the situation?-just try it fia!
Blame kimi for not moving as far left as he could(he still had 1/2m or more from the court eveidence)?Maybe....but i think it very unlikely.Everything happened too quickly for kimi to dodge accross closer to a concrete wall.
The stewards clearly want to make a point though so may make abit of a show trial to raise drivers awareness of the situation
...i would say they could do it to also raise the public's awareness as well so we are more accepting next time there is a startline accident they have to punish...
except this is the fia we are talking about right?what the **** do they care about what we think?
Old 20 Aug 2003, 14:55 (Ref:693349)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nicely double posted there. Do you get repeat fees?