Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 14 May 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1300572)   #1
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Challenge...

I thought off the back of f1freak's last challenge, I'd do one.

The image is here (.gif, 600x1200, 80kb)

Basically, you've got a bit of swampy wasteland between two roads, with only minimal access (but this can be improved).

You've got to design a track within the grey area, you can cut trees down, but only where you need to so no mass felling. The lakes however would make a nice feature so don't touch them.

That's it pretty much. The area is gently undulating terrain, but only with a range of around 2m difference in height, so I suppose you could assume its flat. The highest spot is under the trees.

scale is 1 pixel to 1 metre

Last edited by pirenzo; 14 May 2005 at 12:39.
Old 14 May 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1300686)   #2
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
I thought off the back of f1freak's last challenge, I'd do one.
Hm, so would this be "official" challenge Number 5 then?
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 14 May 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1300705)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, possibly, but I count more than 3 prior to freak's so I think this is really number 7 or 8!
Old 14 May 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1300940)   #4
ethone
Rookie

ethone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first post here though I've been reading a lot.
I create tracks in 3d to use them in computer games, not commercially but in my free time and for whatever game gives me the possibility to add my tracks to it.
Now I'm kind of sick of recreating real tracks my interest for now is in fictional tracks. Without a real project at the moment, I want to create a fictional track.
So this challenge is as good as any for me to get the basic layout.

Here's my first:

Blue is parking lots, red are pit buildings, yellow obviously gravel traps and gold are stands.
It's about 2.5km, I had GT and/or Touring cars in mind, not really F1. Maybe Motobikes would run fine here too.

Turn 1 is a slow but harmonic slow-down after the ~700m front straight, with
Turn 2 following quickly after, hopefully allowing for overtaking. I'll probably increase the width here to 17-18m to allow for variations in driving lane through these turns.

The pitlane rejoins the track at the exit of Turn 2, where the actual driving line will be on the inside and cars will go to the outside of the track only in emergency. It doesn't rejoin earlier to allow for a long enough pitlane and a clean run for race traffic through the slight kink.

Turn 3 should be a relatively fast way to stay away from the property borders. I'm actually wondering whether it might not be too fast, but I didn't want to use any hairpins or chicanes to keep the track flowing.

Turn 4 is flat out, and possibly I will remove the gravel trap, don't think it would be of much use there anyway.

Turn 5 is the start into the snakier part of the track and decreases the cars speed a bit before they enter
Turn 6, which is looooong and if you don't get it right you will drift too wide and miss the braking zone for

Turn 7, which is essential to get right in combination with Turns 8 + 9. Especially Turn 9 determines the speed with which you get onto the final straight, as
Turn 10 will be flat out or nearly flat out.

I'm not happy with the access roads with the main parking lot being in the middle of the track and only being accessible through the one long access road also serving the paddock.

I cut down some trees, but planted new ones. The stand outside of Turn 3 is basically a hill, like at Tosa in Imola. No architectural milestone but just nature, as it should be as that is the part of the track going through the trees.

I'd appreciate any comments and want to see your track layouts too.
Old 14 May 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1300955)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Hey Ethone, that looks great, very similar to mine actually (first two corners are almost identical lol). Mine's almost done, but I want to see a few other people try it first

And welcome to ten-tenths (despite it being 8 months since you joined)
Old 15 May 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1301039)   #6
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is my track...
http://img104.echo.cx/my.php?image=challenge0kt.png

It runs clockwise. The dark patch outside the track is spectator parking. The dark patch inside the circuit is parking for anyone invovled with the race (the officials, the marshalls, the teams and transporters, etc.). I have created to entrances and exits to the spectator parking to reduce bottlenecks. The grey strip next to the pit is the paddock. You can see a road that runs over the track and pits, that is the road that leads to the paddock. The reason for the "roundabout" that leads to the paddock is because a simple right hander would be difficult to manouver for the transporter drivers going from the bridge to flat ground. What do you all think?
Old 15 May 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1301404)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Here's mine.

Its approximately 3.7km long, or 2.3 miles, as with Ethone's probably more suited to touring cars or motorbikes, given the length of the track but also the style. Sportscars are a possibility, the track is pretty wide (14m, 46') so the length should be too much of a worry there.
Old 15 May 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1301667)   #8
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This is supposed to be a test of whether I can make basic tracks with PSP. If you look at the full-size pic, there are a few mistakes I made as far as placing the lines correctly. I may try doing more complex stuff next, but I'm going to practice just basic tracks for now.

Anyway, back to the track, I'm thinking it's a bit chicaney and technical, but it looks good to me.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1592845)   #9
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's quite an old challenge, this, but I hadn't had a go at it, yet. So here goes.

Old 23 Apr 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1593076)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't seen this thread before so with new eyes I'd say that Ethones S/F kink-T1-T2 sequence reminds me of a right handed version of Laguna Seca, even the point where the pitlane and track touch before separating again.

Lustigon...I think your track runs through the top lake...of course you might have had some serious landscaping in mind.

I'm having a crack at this one myself now.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1593110)   #11
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
My last corner misses the lake, SBF... but only just.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1593151)   #12
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's two lakes though mate, one in the top left hand corner.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1593491)   #13
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I know. The gravel trap just misses it.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1593597)   #14
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh so it does, sorry mate - it's just your image is a different size. And at first glance, it looks like you've built right over it.

Thanks for clearing that up
Old 24 Apr 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1593762)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well here's my version...

The circuit has a parkland feel and as such there are no grandstands and all parking is outwith the area shown.

It runs anti-clockwise so the circuit heads into the wooded area after Turn 1
Attached Thumbnails
Challenge_InProg.jpg  
Old 26 Apr 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1595592)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my go

Old 26 Apr 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1595604)   #17
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think I'll do one later.