Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:07 (Ref:351504)   #1
TheLeader
Rookie

TheLeader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ETCC Faster than BTCC!!!

Prodrive were testing at Snetterton today with Rickard Rydell. Roughly the same track conditions as the BTCC meeting the other weekend.
Times set by the ETCC Volvo S60 were 8 tenths faster than Mat Neals pole time of 1:12.482. How can this be possible??

With an h-pattern gearbox, less power on the same tyres as the BTCC cars, why are they faster?

Anybody have an answer?
Old 6 Aug 2002, 18:11 (Ref:351510)   #2
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could be aerodynamics maybe, doesn't the ETCC have more aids than the BTCC, seeing as the BTCC's rear wing is just cosmetic?
Old 6 Aug 2002, 19:21 (Ref:351576)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't the ETCC have an extra 20-30 hp as well over their BTCC counterparts.

It's just a dream, but it would be cool if Volvo would bring over one or two of their S60 Challenge cars to race in the Speed World Challenge.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 19:45 (Ref:351605)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ETCC is still slightly better, IMO.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 19:47 (Ref:351610)   #5
Jimeth
Racer

ah i prefer the BTCC IMO
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:19 (Ref:351641)   #6
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC is better IMO. This is because I can actually watch it on TV, and go to most of the races, unlike the other two championships. On pure spectacle though, it's got to be DTM. But we'll never be able to afford those machines or that sort of hospitality in Britain.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 20:36 (Ref:351658)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul: Don't you have sky?
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:00 (Ref:351752)   #8
Mocko
Rookie

Mocko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey, the BTCC is much better and anyway I thought that the ETCC cars pulled off 260 BHP.

It really annoys me how the organisers don't take a rolling road to the media day so we can know for sure what the power outputs were and therefore were left with folk saying "oh yes, the ETCC engines produce anything from 250 BHP to 350 BHP". Stupid.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 22:36 (Ref:351791)   #9
Vatanen
Racer

Vatanen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Paul: Don't you have sky?
It's not the same as actually being there is it?

He meant that the DTM and ETCC is not something you can spectate at regularly like the BTCC.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 07:53 (Ref:352030)   #10
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what about the ones "unforunated" not to live in Uk ... like me ... it's easier to attend to a ETCC or DTM race rather than BTCC ... .. and i think ETCC is better than BTCC ...

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:24 (Ref:352105)   #11
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
what about the ones "unforunated" not to live in Uk ... like me ... it's easier to attend to a ETCC or DTM race rather than BTCC ... .. and i think ETCC is better than BTCC ...
Why?!

Last edited by Alfa Fan; 7 Aug 2002 at 10:25.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:36 (Ref:352112)   #12
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
Then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and you possibly prefer ETCC for the same reasons I prefer BTCC - it's more accessible. I'm sure that if I lived in Germany I'd probably think the DTM was best. They've all got lessons to learn from each other though.

As for why I like the BTCC? Because I like going to races, I like watching races on TV, no I don't have Sky, and I like talking to people about races. From that, there is no competition to the BTCC for me.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:36 (Ref:352113)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ETCC comes to Donington on the 6th of October - should be worth the trip for those of you in the UK (especially if the brilliant races at Spa are anything to go by)
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:52 (Ref:352125)   #14
Jimeth
Racer

the drivers will like it! Donington in October....Mmm! Brisk!
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:12 (Ref:352141)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well aren't teams allowed to modify brakes, suspension, and aren't aerodyamics effective on ETCC cars?? Maybe our resident ETCC experts can confirm just what is different?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:53 (Ref:352178)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the two (ETC or BTCC) cars were going to be quicker than the other, they are two different sets of rules, and at the end of the day 8 tenths of a second is not that much.

Just be glad you can watch the ETC or BTCC, all we get is the bloody V8Supercars.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 12:12 (Ref:352196)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
all we get is the bloody V8Supercars.
I'd be pretty darn happy if I could get the "bloody V8Supercars" here in Sweden... or the BTCC and DTM as well for that matter.

On the other hand we get 10-minute recaps from each STCC-race (yippie.. ugh), so I guess that makes up for it

The only good thing about being interested in touring-car racing while living in Sweden is that the ETCC races are shown live and commercial free

Last edited by rustyfan; 7 Aug 2002 at 12:13.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 13:58 (Ref:352300)   #18
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Well aren't teams allowed to modify brakes, suspension, and aren't aerodyamics effective on ETCC cars?? Maybe our resident ETCC experts can confirm just what is different?
You can't really compare a BTC car with a ETCC car... The BTC cars has alot of common parts while cars from the ETCC rules are more free to develop parts...
Old 7 Aug 2002, 15:37 (Ref:352351)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Today's Motorsports News has a track test of an ETCC BMW by Ian Flux. Haven't had chance to read it properly but it does mention the differences to the BTCC MG which he tested earlier this year.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 16:16 (Ref:352375)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't read it yet either but I saw one comment that 'the RWD BMW is much more fun than the MG' like duh! IT'S REAR WHEEL DRIVE!! Course it's gonna be more fun!!
Old 7 Aug 2002, 16:22 (Ref:352383)   #21
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ETCC cars don't have 'standard parts'. Therefore, each manufacturer will develop each part (clutch, gearbox, brakes etc.) to the absolute limit of performance (a la Super Touring). Ultimately, this means the ETCC cars will lap slightly more quickly than BTCC cars.

However, who cares?

A modern-day Super Tourer (now extinct!) can lap a heck of a lot quicker than a 1992-vintage 'BTCC 2-litre formula' car... but what would you rather see in a race? (dare I say, you could replace 1992 etc. with a Cossie!)
Old 8 Aug 2002, 08:17 (Ref:352841)   #22
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The STC of last year were .. on some circuits as fats as the GT3 cars in the FiaGT ... and ETCC does have standard parts like the gearbox ..

Ciao Marco
Old 8 Aug 2002, 08:45 (Ref:352860)   #23
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm lucky, I get to see DTM, BTC and ETC all at my local circuit. DTM was fantastic, the BTC is always good and I am waiting to see what the ETC will be like.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 08:54 (Ref:352864)   #24
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
The Super Touring class is not quite extinct - yet - as the STCC are still using the 2.0 litre Super Touring formula with Volvo S40's, Audi A4's, Vauxhall Vectra's and a Honda Accord duking it out in the races.

2002 is the last year of the Super Touring class in the STCC, however, as rules similar to the ones used in the ETCC will be adopted for 2003 (at least from what I have heard anyway - perhaps someone else have some more info).
Old 8 Aug 2002, 11:18 (Ref:352942)   #25
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sequential box would be worth at least a half a second. ETCC cars will likely have them next season.

It would be interesting to see an end of the year World Cup with both ETCC and BTCC cars.