Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 May 2003, 20:44 (Ref:603928)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A World Sports Car Championship - how about this for a idea?

A World Sports Car Championship - how about this for a idea?

Right I was thinking about this at work today. The idea is quite simple IMO.

This is this idea - The ALMS and the New Le Mans Tournmant run as two standalone championships, and each round counts towards the respective championship.

The world championship would be made up of 4 rounds from each championship. So this rounds would be worth double points. This would make up an 8 round world championship.

Now this would mean that the calander needs to be worked out so that races do clash, this is so teams can do all the races or just some of them.

What do people think?
Old 19 May 2003, 20:51 (Ref:603935)   #2
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*flashbacks to the irl/cart topics*

i have some similar proposals which may appear in the cart/irl forums......anyways...back to the gts
Old 20 May 2003, 12:18 (Ref:604606)   #3
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Fulvio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: A World Sports Car Championship - how about this for a idea?

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
The ALMS and the New Le Mans Tournmant run as two standalone championships, and each round counts towards the respective championship.
Sorry.. what's the "New Le Mans Tournament" ? :confused:

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
The world championship would be made up of 4 rounds from each championship. So this rounds would be worth double points. This would make up an 8 round world championship.

Now this would mean that the calander needs to be worked out so that races do clash, this is so teams can do all the races or just some of them.

What do people think?
Obviously it's very simple and clear... perfect in teory... but, only one question: who pays the transports?
Do you imagine how much does it cost to trasfer cars, material and personnel over the ocean? It's a very important cost for F1 teams... just think how much of the budget of a normal Sportscar team it will take...

It will be marvellous, but, for this economical period, impossible to organize.

Last edited by Fulvio; 20 May 2003 at 12:18.
Old 20 May 2003, 12:33 (Ref:604632)   #4
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about NO separate ALMS or LM Tournament, but a Proper 8 race World Championship of 1000km ,12 or 24 Hr races. Just Imagine, a calendar like this;

Sebring
Silverstone 1000km
Le Mans
Monza 1000km
Spa 1000km
Old Nurburgring 1000km ( i know i'm dreaming now )
Petits Le Mans

Well a man can dream .........................
Old 20 May 2003, 12:37 (Ref:604643)   #5
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I left off Kyalami 6 hrs, but as this track is not what it once was , how about Fuji, or Brands Hatch, or even Mexico
Old 20 May 2003, 13:28 (Ref:604707)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the Sandown 1000km.......maybe it could be successful 3rd time around.

A WSC is what everyone desires, but the question has to be asked that if it was going to happen would it have happened by now? Especially as the we aren't in a boom period for Sportscars at the moment like we were a few years ago.
Old 20 May 2003, 13:42 (Ref:604737)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we've said it before- Sebring, claim daytona again, 12 hours at the glen,- Fuji-Suzuka-Lemans Spa, Monza petit lemans and the bathurst 24
Old 20 May 2003, 15:48 (Ref:604913)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Re: A World Sports Car Championship - how about this for a idea?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fulvio
Sorry.. what's the "New Le Mans Tournament" ? :confused:
The new ACO championship, build around four races (not including Le Mans) in Europe...
Old 20 May 2003, 18:30 (Ref:605139)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On many threads concerning or related to this subject, Fulvio's main point about the high international transport costs would not only be difficult in these economic times, but would limit participation to only the high-budget teams that currently race...

As I have said on many occasions, there is only one way around this....

Whoever the governing body would be (ACO or whoever) would have to cut big sponsorship deals with a large multi-national corp. air freight company, major cargo aircraft builder, or whatever to make it worth their while to be the "Official Tarnsporter" of the Series to ship the teams to wherever in the world to race.....

Otherwise, just for economic reasons alone, not to mention increased participation among teams, builders, etc, I like the route they are seeming to go with it in reality for next year...but I would like to see a European Series that would get the same perks (Outside of the Tournament) that ALMS Season champions in the various classes will seem to get concerning Le Mans invites...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 May 2003, 09:45 (Ref:606619)   #10
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it can get built up into a world event, such as F1 i would love it, especially if more road cars are involved, and it gets on TV. and not at some stupid time...why is C4 against putting the GTs on at a resonable time? i think there would be the interest...
Old 22 May 2003, 18:58 (Ref:607139)   #11
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely. I also agree with LC2guy's list of venues, though whilst we're at it, let's revive the Targa!!!
Old 22 May 2003, 19:40 (Ref:607165)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I Guess we can dream....let's start looking for the air freight carrier, or the fields will look like the FIA-SCC races...teams just won't have the $$$ to travel that far that often over the course of the season...

Old 22 May 2003, 23:43 (Ref:607325)   #13
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
If they could fly thru the ocean in 70s and 80s why they cannot do it now??
Old 23 May 2003, 00:16 (Ref:607330)   #14
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)
Easy answer... in the '70s and in the '80 it was possible to have important championships differents from F1, so there was a lot more money for the teams racing in SportsCar.. and, with the money, everything become easy.

Audi and Bentley are able to race in LM and in the ALMS.. no one more... just ask yourself why... probably becouse they're the only SportsCar team with the amount of budget necessary for flying over the ocean....

No money, no racing ... it's an easy equation.

Last edited by Fulvio; 23 May 2003 at 00:20.
Old 23 May 2003, 09:55 (Ref:607576)   #15
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still be a great idea though...
Old 23 May 2003, 12:12 (Ref:607745)   #16
Fulvio
Rookie

Italy
Rovigo (Italy)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
Still be a great idea though...
Definitely a great idea... and expecially a great schedule... but the only future [if everything remains like now] that this idea has, it is to be discussed here, betwen us fanatics...

Sad future, but nice discussion for us
Old 27 May 2003, 10:22 (Ref:611276)   #17
Cobra
Racer

Cobra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe not such a sad future because like youn said it can be discussed here and then it will be discussed elsewhere. If enough interest is generated sooner or later it will pick up in the way that we want it to.
Old 27 May 2003, 14:48 (Ref:611522)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I would agree that the seeds usually get planted in places like here...and it is obvious that racers, owners, and others check out this site, so it is not like the fans alone are reading and sharing...

Putting if forward may get the "in-speak" groups in racing itself talking...

Anybody got a phone number for Federal Express, UPS, DHL Courier, or any other air freight or air cargo carriers???