Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1178620)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Hill wearing a neck brace/collar???

My Father took a photo of Graham Hill at Oulton Park in (he thinks) around 1973 whilst on the grid. Graham is pictured with a neck brace/collar on whilst sitting in a Lotus Climax.

Unfortunately this picture is still on a 35mm slide or I would attatch it.

My question is, on my father's behalf;

Does anyone know why Gaham was wearing a neck restraint as there is no mention of it anywhere, not even in Graham's biography. (or my Dad says!!)

Many thanks.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 23:50 (Ref:1178800)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if he's definitely in a Lotus, it isn't 1973. Graham drove for Lotus (in F1) from 1958 to 1959 and again from 1967 to 1969.

Is it a green rear-engined Lotus? That would tie it down to 1967, since by the time the 1968 non-Championship races rolled around Lotus were in Gold Leaf colours.

However, at that point, we hit a brick wall if it's definitely an Oulton Park picture.

There were two F1 events at Oulton Park in 1967: the Spring Cup in April and the Gold Cup in September. Graham Hill took part in both. But in both races he drove an F2 Lotus 48, powered by a Ford Cosworth FVA. What evidence is there that it's a Climax engine?

Or is it red? In which case it's 1968 or 1969.

Alternatively: is it a dark blue Lotus? In which case it's the 1970 Gold Cup and Rob Walker's Lotus 72.

Bob Marley
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1179038)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Sntterton Accident

If my failing memory serves Graham had a big shunt at Snetterton which required him to wear a rubber inflated neck brace that looked a bit like the bellows from an accordian! However this was in the Sixties. It did cause him problems from time to time and he might have agrevated this old injury.

As to the car I suspect it is a lot earlier than 1973. He drove one of the Lotus 48 F2 cars in the 1967 Gold Cup instead of the F1 Lotus and that was Green and Yellow. He also drove the Lotus 59 F2 car at the Gold Cup meeting of 1969, this car was painted in the Winklemann Green and Silver livery.
I suspect it is one of these two events as he didn't drive in any events at Oulton Park in 1973.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:37 (Ref:1179056)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Graham's big shunt at Snetterton was in 1964. A big-off in pouring rain in the BRM.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1179075)   #5
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
1965 Gold Cup

1965 Oulton Park Gold Cup and Graham was driving an F2 Lotus-BRM 35 for John Coombs which again I believe was Ivory White or Light Silver?

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 14 Dec 2004 at 11:06.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1179173)   #6
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve's right about 1969 - if it is that year, it could be related to Graham's big shunt in the Spanish GP.

So, Stuart - what colour is the car?

Bob Marley
Old 14 Dec 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1179221)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse
Steve's right about 1969 - if it is that year, it could be related to Graham's big shunt in the Spanish GP.

So, Stuart - what colour is the car?
It looks White but unfortunately there is not much of it in view as Dad was standing right next to it at the time.
Graham's overalls are light Blue and the neck-brace is Brown and cream. (the brown section being at the back).

As soon as I can find someone local who can scan or copy a slide I will post it and some others of the same era.

Thx for your info guys.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1179237)   #8
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
1965 Gold Cup

Gentlemen - see my earlier Post.

The description fits the 1965 F2 Lotus-BRM 35 with the colour scheme being a perfect match.

I rest my case.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1179420)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Gentlemen - see my earlier Post.

The description fits the 1965 F2 Lotus-BRM 35 with the colour scheme being a perfect match.

I rest my case.
for which I thank you very much but.......

will be unable to provide the proof shortly as my Father has just left for a vacation in the USA and on the Queen Mary 2 !!!!!!!! alright for some.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1179612)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got an attachment for scanning slides, Stu, bring it over sometime and we'll see if it works (never actually used it before).
Old 14 Dec 2004, 23:45 (Ref:1179621)   #11
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Something like this perhaps? This is Graham in Coombs' F2 Brabham at Goodwood in 1966 - colour scheme would be essentially the same.

© Rainer Nyberg/Forix

Bob Marley
Old 15 Dec 2004, 11:25 (Ref:1179892)   #12
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Colour Scheme

Spot on. The Lotus which had been run earlier in the season by Tim Parnell for David Hobbs to drive without any success was painted in exacrly the same colour scheme when Coombs got his hands on it.