Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1500263)   #1
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Williams short fall

I found last year that Williams was the team out of the top five "Big " teams at did the least amount of K's in testing and on race weekends ie friday running and pract.

I feel this may be a large factor in the backwards decline of the team in overcoming there shortfalls. I hope the breath of freash air blowing through the team will hope see this have Wurz on deck will assit this

but have a look and testing the other big teams have 3 cars running full time and big laps most of the time where Williams only have two car and much smaller track time

thoughts?
Old 13 Jan 2006, 05:08 (Ref:1500329)   #2
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two things to consider.

1. Last year Williams got the raw deal from the man Friday arrangements. They were clearly the slowest of the top 5 teams and had to keep miles off the BMW's. OTOH McLaren, with the fastest car, were able to roar one car around all Friday and get the miles done. Go back 2 years - how did BAR go the year they had the third car? And last year? I think the advantage of the third car is played down by those that have it and those that don't for entirely different reasons. I expect it will give Williams a significant boost next year. BAR will also enjoy the extra running.

2. The internal issues affecting Williams last year are now becoming evident. At season start the car was average, by season end the BMW was holding them back. A bad season with no wins.

As for testing .... well, most of the "big teams" are still running V10minus2 engines.... with various excuses. Williams are running 2 v8's.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 05:30 (Ref:1500330)   #3
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest times show reasonable speed. I think Williams will be up to fourth in the Constructors.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1500355)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
As for testing .... well, most of the "big teams" are still running V10minus2 engines.... with various excuses. Williams are running 2 v8's.
I think you missed my point .

Not just in this new car / old car peroid but if you go back over last year where teams like BAR.Toyota.Mac and Ferrari all ran a min of 3 car in testing session where Williams never run more than 2
Old 13 Jan 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1500842)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the beginning of 2005, Williams had just built a new Wind Tunnel, but had problems getting it to work. The lack of Wind Tunnel time hurt the development early in the year and with the FW27 they never made it up.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1500871)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Williams are in for a tough season methinks.

Bless em, I love Williams and I have always been a fan since the Mansell days, the last team that are true "racers" at heart.

However, I cannot see how Cosworth can have the resources to battle against the conglomorates of Ferrari / Mercedes / Renault etc.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1500882)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the shrot term they will be okay, as they seem to have a good engine immediately, but their main hope is for manufacturers to start scaling back their investment and support for F1 - Renault could feasibly go for 2008. Without a car company behind you, funding and R&D can be limited.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1501067)   #8
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sit back and look at what powered RBR last season. They were good things, i dont see any reason why the Cossie V8 wont be a good thing...it may not be the best engine, but i doubt it will be far off
Old 14 Jan 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1501137)   #9
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the break up with BMW was the biggest factor, however, running the 3rd car on Firdays surely helps for testing purposes. Also, Pizzonia had not been testing for at least 2 months, before being called up to replace NH after his injury.

This yesr should be different I think. The Cosworths have a vast experience with V8's and they are already using it dduring testing. Also, they will be able to run an experienced test driver on Fridays. And if Rosberg has the technical knowledge, that they are saying he has, he will surely give a great helping hand to increase performance.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 00:57 (Ref:1501430)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Has anyone offered any reason as to why Rosberg was so far off the pace during his tests a few weeks ago?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1501729)   #11
mooneyda
Racer

Ireland
Eire
mooneyda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Williams will improve and rapidly this season.

Cosworth will shock others with the performance of their new V8. have it on good terms taht alot of power is been held back at the moment to ensure better reliability when race time comes. ie; concentrating on seperate components and improving singly.
The sum of the parts will benefit by this development and testing regime overall.

The aero is not as strong as the top teams of course, but develpoing nicely.

Alot of tyre work ongoing at the moment which seems to be the priority of the team at the moment.

They have a programme and are sticking to this religiously so don't be alarmed!! It's not about test times NOW!!

Race week-end is where its at and you WILL be shocked!!!
Old 15 Jan 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1501830)   #12
TheMong
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants
TheMong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who is williams sponsor this year is it still hp
Old 15 Jan 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1501834)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.williamsf1.com/
Most are listed there on the title page and there is a countdown to the lauch which may reveal more.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1501861)   #14
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMong
who is williams sponsor this year is it still hp
I have the impression that Castrol are gone too as sponsors.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1501871)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
I have the impression that Castrol are gone too as sponsors.
Nope,they're on the list.

And the only thing i can tell you about that car (on the site) is that it has Bridgestone tyres fitted to OZ wheels.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1501893)   #16
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've followed Williams since the FW06 and they are 100% RACERS. These are troubled times for Frank and Patrick but they've been there before and while a tie up with a manufacturer as probably vital these days,the tie up with Cosworth makes my heart lift (If not my brain.........)
Old 16 Jan 2006, 03:55 (Ref:1502062)   #17
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think saying the Cosworth is going to be strong because of Cosworth's history with V8's in nonsence... A modern F1 V10 has more in common than any V8 Cosworth would have ever built before.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 05:09 (Ref:1502080)   #18
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli
I think saying the Cosworth is going to be strong because of Cosworth's history with V8's in nonsence... A modern F1 V10 has more in common than any V8 Cosworth would have ever built before.
I agree, but Cosworth have continued to make and develop V8s, so it is not as if they are starting again after a 20 year break.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1502120)   #19
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli
That may or may not be true.

Question: How did you rate last years Cosworth V10?
Old 16 Jan 2006, 12:00 (Ref:1502312)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The V10 Cosworth seemed to be pretty good last year. Once you combine that with their extra V8 knowledge, Cosworth should be in a strong position at first.