Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

Old 29 Dec 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1189480)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Christmas Quiz answers!

10 Tenths Christmas Quiz 2005.

Here is a reminder of the questions with the answers in bold type.

Please 'self mark' your entry and post your score and any queries!

1. When was the first ever race win for a car running active suspension. Name the car, race, driver and year? (4 points)

Lotus, Monaco, Senna, 1987

2. Name the two former world champions who retired at the end of the 1980 season? (2 points)

Jody Scheckter and Emerson Fittipaldi

3. In 1958 the rules were changed regarding the type of fuel used, what was the change? (2 points)

From alcohol based fuel to pump petrol

4. Which Minardi driver was replaced half way through the 1988 season and who was his replacement? (2 points)

Adrian Campos replaced by Pierluigi Martini

5. Which Formula 1 designer was known as ‘the duke’.

Gerard Ducarouge

6. Gilles Villenuve finished 3rd in the 1982 Long Beach Grand Prix but was subsequently disqualified – what was the precise reason? (1 point)

Illegal ovesized rear wing

7. Which season was Gerhard Berger’s last as an F1 driver? (1 point)

8. Lotus entered an experimental car into the 1971 Dutch Grand Prix, having previously tried it in two non-championship events – what was it?

Gas turbine powered car.

9. The team Leyton House reverted to its former name. Name the year and the name it reverted too. (2 points)

1992 – Leyton House reverted to March.

10. Jonny Herbert scored points in his first ever race (Brazil 1989). Who officially achieved that prior to Herbert? Name the driver, the race and the year? (3 points)

Prost, Argentine GP 1980 - Martin Brundle also scored points in his first race, but all Tyrrell's results were disqualified for the year due to technical infringements.

11. Mario Andretti only won on the same circuit twice – name the track and the two years. (2 points)

Jarama – Spain – 1977 and 1978

12. In the 1959 US Grand Prix at Sebring – which driver pushed his car over the line after running out of fuel? (1 point)

Jack Brabham

13. When was the full driver safety harness used for the first time? Name the year, the race, the car and the driver. (4 points)

1967, German GP, BRM, Jackie Stewart.

14. Michael Schumacher retired his Ferrari from the 2000 Monaco GP – what was the exact cause?

Cracked exhaust, heating and melting the rear suspension.

15. Which teams has Mika Salo driven for in Formula One? (1 point for each)

Lotus, Tyrrell, Arrows, BAR, Ferrari, Sauber and Toyota. – (7 points)

16. Which team experimented with a de Dion rear axle in 1976? (1 point)

Ferrari

17. Which historic race circuit was originally constructed in 1922, making it only the 3rd permanent race track in existence (at that time) alongside Brooklands and Indianapolis? (1 point)

Monza

18. On which current circuit would you find the L’epingle? (1 point)

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - Montreal Canada.

19. Which driver was runner up to Stefano Modena in the 1987 F3000 series and went onto to race in Formula One in the 1988 and 1989 seasons – scoring a 6th place as his best result? (1 Point)

Luis Perez Sala

20. Where did Martin Brundle start his 150th Grand Prix? (2 points)

Montreal – 1996

21. Name this well known F1 person. He was team mate to Piers Courage during 1968 in Frank Williams F2 team. Later going on to become one of the founders of an F1 team himself? (1 point)

Max Mosley

22. Aside from Sauber which other F1 team has been based in Switzerland? (1 point)

Montiverdi Onyx

23. Which engine maker came close to scoring it’s only F1 victory in the 1997 Hungarian GP, only to see it snatched away in the closing stages? (1 point)

Yamaha

24. Who designed the 1989 Benetton? (1 Point)

Rory Byrne

25. Where did Thierry Boutsen make his F1 debut? Name the car, circuit and year. (3 points)

Arrows – Spa – 1983.

26. What marque is this? (1 point)

March.

27. Who raced in this suit? (1 point)

Jos 'the boss' Verstappen.

28. Where is this picture taken (corner and circuit)? (2 points)

From Stavelot, Spa Franchorchamps (old circuit).

29. What is this engine (constructor, configuration and size)? (3 points)

Coventry Climax, V8, 1496cc.[/b]

30. Which circuit is this? (1 point)

Aida, Japan.

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Dec 2004 at 19:54. Reason: To post the picture answers
Old 29 Dec 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1189498)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let the arguments begin
Old 29 Dec 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1189516)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Question 3 - most sources refer to the new fuel as "aviation fuel" rather than pump fuel, replacing a variety of previous fuels

Also - how many points are you giving for question 14? The official reason for retirement was "rear suspension failure"
Old 29 Dec 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1189523)   #4
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
same as kb with q3
also .
q10 .. http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr196.html
Quote:
while Wisell's F1 debut ended with an impressive third place finish.

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Dec 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1189527)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed - that question is phrased "who officially achieved that prior to Herbert" - it does not specify it had to be the most recent time prior to Herbert.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 20:58 (Ref:1189530)   #6
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . english is not my native language .and officially could mean something else . i'm only asking

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1189531)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Q10: refers to the driver directly prior to Herbert. So ner ner na ner ner.

Q14: 1 point. I have exhaust/rear suspension in my source (The great F1 encylopedia). Checking elsewhere...

Checking on Q3... *looks over in ST's direction*

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Dec 2004 at 21:04.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1189532)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Q14: One point only if you say cracked exhaust? Or a point for suspension failure?
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1189536)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
More on Q14: From the FIA race report: (click for the pdf).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA
Schumacher suffers a left rear suspension failure caused by a broken exhaust damaging the carbonfibre suspension
Both pieces of information are needed for 1 point. Crickey that is harsh! ST do you think that is fair?

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Dec 2004 at 21:10.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1189538)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Fair enough.

So absolutely no hope of convincing you to accept Martin Brundle for question 10?
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:17 (Ref:1189540)   #11
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
i just realised . how the F did I messed q2 ??

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1189543)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
So absolutely no hope of convincing you to accept Martin Brundle for question 10?
No he is the reason why we inserted 'officially' into the question

Dani, your suggestion did first retire only one year later.

Q3. I am still struggling to nail this down. One report described the pre-58 fuel as "fuel (?) and nitromethane" to a change to "aviation fuel".
From Atlas:
Quote:
Up until the end of 1957 it was possible to choose freely what fuel you used. Mercedes, for example, relied on the following recipe: 45% benzene, 25% methyl alcohol, 23% aviation fuel, 3% acetone and 2% nitrobenzene. The remaining two percent remain a secret until this day. The explosive mixture was so aggressive that remnants left over from training and races had to be drained off and the engine rinsed out with conventional petrol. This was the only way to prevent the engine from suffering damage overnight!

From 1958 to the end of 1960, teams were compelled to tank up with aviation fuel with an octane rating of 130, after their oil sponsors, above all Shell, had urged Formula One to stipulate a more usual form of petrol so that the product transfer between the fans and Formula One was more effective and more convincing and health protection guaranteed.
From this and elsewhere it seems the reason behind the change was to go from anything you wanted to a standard fuel to make F1 more relevant to the "everyday reality" (The Great F1 Encyclopaedia) - pump fuel!
In practical terms this meant changing from a fuel mixture that had a lot of alcohol in to one that was 130 octane aviation fuel. While 130 octane aviation fuel isn't that normal for road use I guess it is a lot closer than before!

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Dec 2004 at 21:29.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1189546)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Ok, just waiting for ST's ruling on Question 3 and I'll have a points total to nominate.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1189547)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cheers, I'd like to check with what source he has.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1189630)   #15
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
28. Its Blanchimont not Stavelot - or rather the corner that used to be Blanchimont before everything was renamed. Stavelot was way back up the hill at Holowell before La Carriere and certainly before this corner. Its now in the area of Stavelot on the new circuit.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 01:25 (Ref:1189633)   #16
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
Other than that I think I got everything right. ( well If you give me 4cc leeway on the Climax engine). I dunno because I forgot to save the answers .
Old 30 Dec 2004, 02:06 (Ref:1189647)   #17
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-B
28. Its Blanchimont not Stavelot - or rather the corner that used to be Blanchimont before everything was renamed. Stavelot was way back up the hill at Holowell before La Carriere and certainly before this corner. Its now in the area of Stavelot on the new circuit.
So are you saying that the answer's incorrect because it USED to be Blanchimont, although it's now part of Stavelot?
Old 30 Dec 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1189748)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
L-B, the picture was taken between Stavelot towards La Carrier (from what I remember!). Although the corner names are difficult to tell on most maps I have found.

See the racingcircuit.net diagram: http://www.racingcircuits.net/Belgiu...rchamps47.html
After Stavelot (the long right hander nearest the town of Stavelot) The circuit has a slight left followed by a left right (as seen in the picture and racingcircuits labels La Carriere). Then it goes to another right (which my map calls La Carriere). Then after a blast it gets to Blanchimont a left hander.

Although I am rubbish on corner names on current circuits, so help is appreciated (I was secretly hoping for a good discussion here
Old 30 Dec 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1189797)   #19
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
Adam go back to racing circuits and take the circuit tour in photographs, as I just did. La Carriere had no trees on the outside of it, Stavelot goes the wrong way. and their picture of Blanchimont has the hut on the outside just like yours does.

Pondo I thought some of the names moved at Spa, Stavelot certainly did.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1189804)   #20
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
btw Adam when did you take the picture?
Old 30 Dec 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1189820)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'll show you the order I took the pictures and why it makes me think that the pictures aren't labeled right on racingcircuits. Although as I say, corner names is not my strong point. It will take me a little time as I have to get home from work (!) and post them.

I have two sets of pictures from '03 and this year when I was at Spa for the RMU Classic racing. I always take the oportunity to see the old circuit. The museum (at Stavelot) is good too.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1189831)   #22
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
One thing is for sure its not Stavelot as both Stavelot corners turn the other way
Old 30 Dec 2004, 11:59 (Ref:1189834)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Ah but is this picture taken in the direction of travel
Old 30 Dec 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1189848)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You guys are soooo.... lucky i was to lazy to enter the competition...

just for the record i would have soundly beaten all of you...
Old 30 Dec 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1189853)   #25
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
K-B from the two circuit tours I've seen yes ( the other is in a book), but Adam has the advantage as he has been there I haven't.

Stavelot was a banked long corner right at the bottom end of the circuit - it was also open and treeless. Also with the answer Adam gave he said from Stavelot towards La Carriere, which is possible, its also in the correct direction. I'm actually leaning towards La Carriere in the hope that no one got it

BTW why do you get away without putting model names on the cars questioned like Lotus99T, BRM P115, Arrows A6 etc? (says someone that did