Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 15 Oct 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2040692)   #1
Audi S1
Racer

Audi S1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008 BRC, no Knockhill!

2008 MSA BRC

1 Lydden Hill March 24th Easter Monday
2 Pembrey May 4th
3 Pembrey May 5th
4 Pembrey
5 Lydden Hill August 26th b/h Monday
6 Mondello Park October likely to be middle of month
7 Croft October likely to be end of month

The above is the unofficial dates for the 2008 season, dates for second Pembrey trip along with Croft and Mondello to be added.

No visit to Knockhill either, but likely to return in 2009.

Only 7 rounds with 6 events to count.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2040716)   #2
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So that's the MSA Southern rallycross championship... when does the BRITISH championship calendar come out??

This is not going to do rallycross in the north of England any good. We lost Anglesey, then Blyton, now Knockhill... there's only one round in the UK north of Watford!
Old 15 Oct 2007, 13:49 (Ref:2040733)   #3
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish the powers that be, would consider how many northern competitors there are in the BxDA and have a British Championship rather than a Kent and South Wales championship.

Seriously though, i know people from down there have a long way to travel up to knockhill, but they need to spread the events around!
Old 15 Oct 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2040737)   #4
Audi S1
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihorton
Wish the powers that be, would consider how many northern competitors there are in the BxDA and have a British Championship rather than a Kent and South Wales championship.

Seriously though, i know people from down there have a long way to travel up to knockhill, but they need to spread the events around!
#

Well it looks like the BRC will become a southern championship and the ROC a northern one, with events at Blyton, Croft,............. and Lydden.

This along with the current situation with tyres could just split the competitors even more.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 14:09 (Ref:2040750)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The August date used this year wouldn't be available next year for the Rallycross as both the BSB and BTCC are on consecutive (middle 2) weekends in August in 2008.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 14:49 (Ref:2040787)   #6
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you guys sure it's not the circuit owners making these decisions?
Old 15 Oct 2007, 22:02 (Ref:2041161)   #7
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Less of the Kent bashing. Lydden is the home of rallycross!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2041507)   #8
chris cake
Racer

England
LYDDEN HILL
chris cake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi S1
#

Well it looks like the BRC will become a southern championship and the ROC a northern one, with events at Blyton, Croft,............. and Lydden.

This along with the current situation with tyres could just split the competitors even more.
JOHN ROOK will you please stop trying to stir up the
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2041655)   #9
Audi S1
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cake
JOHN ROOK will you please stop trying to stir up the
I dont believe John was doing as you described, its just called stating the obvious, and he certainly wasnt stiring anything.

Also anyone who is actually close to the sport and speaks to people knows that the tyre situation is splitting certain drivers.

Its called a matter of opinion, people are entitled to it, John included, same as you are!

Last edited by Audi S1; 16 Oct 2007 at 12:15.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:22 (Ref:2041669)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Can we stay on topic please gents and not descend into petty squabbling
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:30 (Ref:2041680)   #11
Nittymaki
Racer

Nittymaki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Can we stay on topic please gents and not descend into petty squabbling
Here, Here.

But lets all remember this is a forum and people are entitled to their opinion!
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:39 (Ref:2041694)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Absolutely, people are perfectly entitled to their opinion and they will often differ (it would be a dull world and a quiet forum if everyone agreed all the time). But please keep posts within the forum rules.

Back to the topic in hand......
Old 16 Oct 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2041719)   #13
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong, i love lydden and think it's probubly the best circuit we use, besides being the home of rallycross in the uk, but the championship is not really lending it's self to the entire uk without a few more northern events.

We used to run 2 crofts, knockhill, anglesey and a mid country event at blyton, which was a great mix but now we have just 1 croft. Doesn't help keep our more "local" sponsors happy as they don't really see any benefit, but these sort of things tend to get over looked.

We need to appeal to the wider audiance otherwise it will turn from a national event into a regional championship. Indeed we already seem to have a north / south split on championships, loosing further northern events would only split them further.

I'm not saying that i wouldn't travel to the long haul events next year and will continue to supported the british championship like i have for the last 4 years where ever we go to, but losing more events up here does make me think about what other options are available. At the end of the day, if all the budget goes on traveling etc (and it does cost a lot), then it doesn't leave much for the actural racing.

Come on people, give us a BRITISH championship back.

Si
Old 16 Oct 2007, 13:14 (Ref:2041725)   #14
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihorton
Indeed we already seem to have a north / south split on championships, loosing further northern events would only split them further.
Totally agree. I hope the Open Championship will offer dates nationwide - that may persuade the BRDA to think again.

Anyone know the situation re: Anglesey. Has track reconstruction killed off rallycross for good?

What happenend to talk of major redevelopment at Blyton?
Old 16 Oct 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2041737)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
As far as I know the new Anglesey has no provision for rallycross (and no intention to provide it in the future. Knockhill seems to attract low entries and is therefore not really financially viable. So the circuits available are: Lydden, Croft, Pembrey, Mondello, Blyton.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 13:45 (Ref:2041753)   #16
chris cake
Racer

England
LYDDEN HILL
chris cake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittymaki
Here, Here.

But lets all remember this is a forum and people are entitled to their opinion!
Yes i totally agree with you But using more than one user name is just not cricket is it !!!!!!
As its all quiet on the western front dont try to set up a brit v open mud flinging session again !as you JOHN R... have no idea whats going on really only rumours or dreams !!!!!!!!!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:18 (Ref:2042504)   #17
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
Quote:
Knockhill seems to attract low entries and is therefore not really financially viable. So the circuits available are: Lydden, Croft, Pembrey, Mondello, Blyton.
What saddens me is this means we have effectively abandoned the sport in Scotland. Two of the biggest rallying areas in the country are mid/north Wales and Scotland - yet they'll be no rallycross anywhere near these areas in the future.

I'm not sure what can be done about Anglesey (I had heard they might be interested in reintroducing rallycross) but its a pity an alternative date cannot be found for Knock Hill.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:58 (Ref:2042543)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Is it just a date issue with Knockhill? The entry there is always small compared with other rounds and the ROC isn't using it this year (for the same reason?). Without a rallycross round north of the border you're unlikely to attract any new drivers from the area. However, the sport can't afford to go to knockhill if the current drivers won't go there in numbers - it's a catch 22 situation.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 12:23 (Ref:2042617)   #19
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
Quote:
Is it just a date issue with Knockhill? .
I don't know - would be interesting to get some comment on this from those in the know. The Knockhill schedule is looking tight for midsummer next year - but ironically the midsummer date might be a reason for low entries with lots of people on holiday when schools break up etc. Worth trying some other time?

If its just about entries there must be ways to give them a boost. Perhaps make all MSA championship contenders attend every round or face a penalty? Or offer cheaper championship registration for those who do them all? Or discount entry? BRDA is supposed to be solvent after the Kuhmo deal so some sort of cross-subsidy must be possible for the good of the sport north of the border?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 12:55 (Ref:2042648)   #20
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas
I don't know - would be interesting to get some comment on this from those in the know. The Knockhill schedule is looking tight for midsummer next year - but ironically the midsummer date might be a reason for low entries with lots of people on holiday when schools break up etc. Worth trying some other time?

If its just about entries there must be ways to give them a boost. Perhaps make all MSA championship contenders attend every round or face a penalty? Or offer cheaper championship registration for those who do them all? Or discount entry? BRDA is supposed to be solvent after the Kuhmo deal so some sort of cross-subsidy must be possible for the good of the sport north of the border?
Problem with all that is that its hard to regulate and if you start penalising you might end up with less entrys than if you had previously.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 17 Oct 2007, 13:28 (Ref:2042676)   #21
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
You can't penalise people for missing rounds - that's going to put people off taking part at all. If you have a car problem and can't go to one event you're effectively writing off your whole season. Maybe discounts on entries for those that enter all rounds (cashback at the end of the season)? Subsidising an event is only practical in the short term (and maybe that's what they've been doing?).
Old 17 Oct 2007, 13:37 (Ref:2042683)   #22
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
Yes, you're right - carrots are better than sticks. Don't think Knockhill is especially expensive to hire though compared to other tracks so I wouldn't think the losses are massive...
Old 17 Oct 2007, 15:19 (Ref:2042745)   #23
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speaking as a club racer at Knockhill, I am rather pleased that the Rallycross lot aren't coming up.

I remember from previous visits that even though the cleaners had been round numerous times there was still mud on the track, on and off the racing line.