Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Apr 2003, 07:26 (Ref:569837)   #1
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tega

Who runs V8 Supercars?
How come TEGA don't have to answer to anyone especially the fans? They don't release any information to the public reguarding the ownership of HRT/K-Mart/PWR and also the Ban on testing by Team Brock.
Is K-Mart racing banned from testing too and if Team Brock is why isn't HRT and K-Mart also banned seeing they are also part of the perceived problem.
These are just some of the questions i want answered.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 07:38 (Ref:569841)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TEGA believe they dont need to communicate to anyone, that they are the link between the teams and the promoter in AVESCO.

And if you notice the motorsport press keep well away from the TEGA management, for reasons not immediately apparent, but fear springs to mind

Your issues are valid, and I doubt will get any official response from the hermit-brigade
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:19 (Ref:569865)   #3
pete55
Veteran

Probably not GTR.
I've often wondered why the Motorsport Press don't delve more deeply into TEGA and it's rulings.
As has been stated before, TEGA own 75% of AVESCO so that really makes AVESCO a toothless tiger. Now i might know the reason Tony Cochrane was elected Chairman of AVESCO. TEGA can control him, allowing him only to comment on issues such as China and Dubai etc and not on their rulings on Team Ownership etc.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:08 (Ref:569898)   #4
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can tell you that information is still being gathered by the TEGA Tribunal and they will continue to discuss the issues.
"The tribunal are investagating a number of issues and will provide a recommendation to the board of their findings, there is no time limit on this" Kelvin O'Reilly.
Tega is not obliged to tell you any of this, when there is something to tell, I am sure they will.
Maybe if you want info like this why not do what I do, pay money, subscribe to Racefax, and you will know more inside info.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:28 (Ref:569913)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is far easier to go direct and talk to the people in the sport. You can discover plenty in a 10 minute conversation, especially if you take the time to build the relationships.

TEGA isnt telling the teams enough information about the Symbol issue, the specific problems, the remedies and the timeframes... that comes from more than one place...

AVESCO isnt a toothless tiger really, TC has usurped the position of TEGA in order to drag the sport forward while ineptitude and backroom deals serve to set the technical direction of the category

Its very very messy, and will become even more so if Symbol considers they are being messed with...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:32 (Ref:569915)   #6
pete55
Veteran

Maybe i was completely wrong. Symbol runs the sport.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:34 (Ref:569917)   #7
pete55
Veteran

Sevi, in your opinion is it good to have an organization like TEGA not being open and accountable and do you think that is good for the sport, thats if you call it sport anymore.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:37 (Ref:569918)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If the legal framework of the sport and its contractual obligations wont stand up in court, then the sport is in some trouble.

The old 'restraint of trade' argument gets trotted out by LP every time he didnt like anything to do with parity, so I expect that with Jeff Browne of Browne & Co on the HRT operating board, there will be no shortage of legal muscle if it is required
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:48 (Ref:569927)   #9
sevi
Veteran

I don't believe that it is the fans right to know all the little details, no.
We have been told of things that are happening though, ie having to sell off team, to many cars, TB not being able to test, did they have to tell us this, once again no.
So they are giving us enough info, maybe not enough for some.
I don't believe that they know anymore that they are able to give us, as it changes all the time.
Wouldn't you be more pi$$ed off if one day they said X was happening and then the two days later it didn't, Y is now happening?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:18 (Ref:569950)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I dont subscribe to the view that TEGA should be a secret society.

You think I am a sticky beak most likely, but as a regular motorsport person I would want to know why my driver is unable to test his car to make it better.

I would want to know whether the team I support is going to be able to compete, and by compete I mean be able to muster all of its resources to attend the meeting, and maximise its potential, not just potter around as some would like to do....

It must be painful for sponsors as well, limiting on-track performances because of a powerplay between the parties concerned. The public clashing is yet to make its appearance, but give it some time.

And there are likely to be losers, one of the 3 groups will leave the Symbol family, and acrimoniously no doubt... so there will be losers in the whole thing, the people in the sport, and more importantly the fans.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:31 (Ref:569958)   #11
sevi
Veteran

maybe on this one, we need to agree to disagree??
Old 15 Apr 2003, 10:44 (Ref:569964)   #12
pete55
Veteran

Well i see some very big cracks appearing. All can't be well between teams and TEGA in my opinion. Also i don't think Tony Cochrane is the type of person who would like to play second fiddle. Maybe he will be the big "loss".
Sevi, if you take rugby league and aussie rules as examples; the fans will not be happy if they find out they are being hoodwinked. Just ask the Bulldogs.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 13:05 (Ref:570089)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much info do Procar, and previously TOCA, divulge to the public?

Technically TEGA may run the series, but from the outside it looks like it is all run by one certain lunatic...
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:56 (Ref:570381)   #14
pete55
Veteran

It seems to be becoming less looking like it is run by a certain lunatic and in fact being run by TEGA.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 22:59 (Ref:570612)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The lunatic in question has been doing TEGA's official role for many seasons now. The great TEGA monster has finally woken up and decided it must actually do something for its owners, and not let AVESCO rule its major shareholder.

Its not TC's fault if the legal structure of TEGA is stifling to doing anything constructive.... I cant believe I just defended TC

With TOCA, it wasnt totally relevant to know what was going on, when the series owner was the financier of about half the field...

PROCAR is similar to TOCA in that it communicates but not clearly, the constant parity arguments in that class, the loss of the Porsches to Carrera cup... any normal person would avoid their categories like the plague
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Apr 2003, 00:15 (Ref:570649)   #16
sevi
Veteran

Ok, but remember who elects the Tega board.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 00:44 (Ref:570664)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
They elect the board but in the true Australian tradition, would rather not waste their time managing the category... rather be working in their own teams. I can understand that. Laziness is said to be a virtue.

Which is why they should have a combination of people on the board, take a wide ranging set of views, not live in myopia of 4 teams with different axes to grind and not enough sponsor money to complete their jobs properly

The board should comprise of as many as 8 different teams, on a rotational basis, all with non-executive involvement in operating the enterprise on a day to day basis. In addition, the management of AVESCO should be included on the board, to give the commercial view of the sport. If there was a credible circuit owners association, representation should be from there as well.

This presumes there would be a credible, professional management team & structure inside TEGA, including communications, and as importantly, in marketing to help the individual teams to acquire, maintain and develop sponsorship.

The issues of the day need to be thoroughly researched, circulated in the form of 'white papers' for comment and constructive discussion, after having consumed the documents previously, in the board meetings. This would require a level of technical involvement in the clarification of the problems requiring solution

They made a step in putting in an independent chairman. If left unchanged, this chairman will cause as many issues as he allegedly solves
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Apr 2003, 03:37 (Ref:570724)   #18
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
now now...

We all know how we are in thier eyes - we are the fools to whom they feed 'spectacular' racing, television, merchandise, magazines and websites. Surely our little brains cant take anymore!! (although they DO think our wallets can)

They are the elite - you know - racing car drivers and teams.

Surely we do not expect to be on the same LEVEL as this elite group?

Of course, motorsport is all about the racing - like who can build a better car, and go faster then anyone else. The "people" who come to watch the elite at work, are just what they are - "spectators" (they like to call them "fans" - it makes them feel more important). Spectator dollars are irrelevant - its the racing that matters, and sponsorship is the money they crave.

Come on - the gate fees and promotional moneys are used to line the pockets of the pen pushers.

It is much safer to keep us "followers/spectators" in the dark - anything else might be.... dangerous?

Old 16 Apr 2003, 12:23 (Ref:571048)   #19
pete55
Veteran

I wonder if the story in AA today was really TEGA getting tough or just appearing to do so. Maybe TEGA use AA as an propaganda machine.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 22:48 (Ref:571618)   #20
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The
Exclusive
Giggle
Association

Playing with other peoples money and livelihoods without a strategy much beyond next week.

Should we read anything into O'Reilly being a former Morris employee, and Morris getting all excitable about a claim on Dumbrell??

Some secret stuff going on we dont know about??

YAY TEGA!! Another fine PR mess they get the category into... and will be talking about in the trade press and newspapers for the next eternity

Good Onya Kelvin. Hope you are proud.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 14:58 (Ref:572173)   #21
sevi
Veteran

what are we more interested in, a good race or all the politics that go on behind the scene?
You are putting sh#t on a company that is trying hard to provide a good day/weekend entertainment ( I will agree that the racing can be more like follow the leader) than giving us all the politics and bullsh#t that goes on behind the scenes?
There is enough of that **** in our lives as there is, lets forget all about that, let the people who this is their livelyhood deal with that, and watch what we love.
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 00:36 (Ref:572694)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I disagree, it is AVESCO driving this series forward, not TEGA. Tony Cochrane has done more for this sport than anyone reading this forum will ever totally understand.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Apr 2003, 00:43 (Ref:572700)   #23
pete55
Veteran

Don't you mean he has done more for V8 Supercars. Not sure if the sport as a whole is better off by him.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 00:58 (Ref:572710)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Well arguably if you took V8 Supercars out of the equation, there is not a lot of crowd pulling appeal to the lower categories

Each has its place in the sport of course, but in terms of returning dollars to competitors, they are not in the same league
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Apr 2003, 03:41 (Ref:572768)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Well arguably if you took V8 Supercars out of the equation, there is not a lot of crowd pulling appeal to the lower categories
True, but maybe if you took V8s out of the equation more of the promotion and sponsership would go into other categories giving them more crowd pulling appeal.