Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Feb 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1847589)   #1
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna-Seca/Spring Training

Is anybody going to go to Laguna-Seca for this? This will be my first time at this track and really don't know what to expect.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1848200)   #2
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
turn left, turn left, turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left, do it all over again.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 17:01 (Ref:1848212)   #3
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davhut
turn left, turn left, turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right, turn left, do it all over again.
With a few rearrangements this can be applied for ANY PIECE OF ROAD EVER.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 17:19 (Ref:1848226)   #4
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a neat place. Old Military base. You will feel like you are driving through the country then you will crest a hill and see the track. I prefer grandstand seating during the race across from the pits. But for this kind of event, you should be able to move around the track with ease in your car and park at various locations to see the different veiws and mingle with the teams etc... You will have a great time, it is a very relaxed atmosphere compared to the racing. Enjoy a great rack.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1849324)   #5
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
can be applied for ANY PIECE OF ROAD EVER
It wouldn't work, for instance, with Pomona!
Old 23 Feb 2007, 06:55 (Ref:1849654)   #6
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davhut
You missed a "turn right" in there. It's two lefts then two rights. And I'm not sure whether you've missed a left somewhere after the Corkscrew...

JV, the track has great sightlines (eg. from turn 1 you can see everything all the way to the bridge at the end of turn 5, and you pick them back up at turn 9), and probably the best souvenir shop of any road course I've ever been to. Unfortunately at this time of year (heck, at ANY time of year) you can either have warm fog or cold fog. But you will have fog. So maybe the sightlines won't be perfect.
keke
Old 23 Feb 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1850143)   #7
jonesi
Rookie

jonesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I worked most of the races there from '78-90. I don't recall a time that the fog didn't burn off by mid morning. You just learn to expect it, like the temperature dropping +20 degrees once the sun sets.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1850201)   #8
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemhead1
With a few rearrangements this can be applied for ANY PIECE OF ROAD EVER.
And in fact if you tried his method at Laguna you'd be in the wall having turned left instead of right at turn 4.
Old 6 Mar 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1859373)   #9
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there... Boy its been a while since ive been to this forum...
Old 7 Mar 2007, 17:57 (Ref:1860774)   #10
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schedule: http://www.champcarworldseries.com/C...2PDFR_0001.pdf
Old 10 Mar 2007, 03:26 (Ref:1862795)   #11
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story...me=auto_racing
Tracy quickest at Champ Car training

With all the teams using the new DP01 chassis, Tracy's Forsythe Championship Racing team led the way with a lap of one minute 6.707 seconds (120.779 miles an hour). "This was by far the best test we've had this year," Tracy said. "The Forsythe team did a great job.

"We shattered the track record (unofficially) and we were only a few tenths (of a second) from the Formula One record."

At last year's historic races at Laguna, Toyota brought its F1 car, the TF106, to the track for a series of exhibition laps with Ricardo Zonta behind the wheel. His quickest lap of the weekend was 1:06.309.
Old 10 Mar 2007, 03:56 (Ref:1862802)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised how close they got to the F1 record and the fact that they beat the old CC record. They're HUNDREDS of horsepower down with less grippy tires than the old CC. The Toyota F1 car is the culmination of multiple years of $400M annual budgets. Anyone want to debate the merits of the Panoz's performance?
Old 10 Mar 2007, 06:24 (Ref:1862830)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Toyota's time was only a one lap run - certainly not done in the midst of a full day of testing.

Still, I'm happy that the DP01 seems to go quick.
Old 10 Mar 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1862901)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new car seems to have a bit about it.
Old 10 Mar 2007, 14:31 (Ref:1863058)   #15
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Complete times for P1, P2
Old 11 Mar 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1863678)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Bourdais beat the Zonta Toyota F1 record by 4/10ths. Granted they used push to pass, but Bourdais said it only gives him a couple of tenths so he would have beaten it either way.

I can't help but notice how strong TA is in the test sessions this year. I think they will be a force that the other teams have to contend with. It would be pretty cool if Power can take at least a couple of wins this year.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1863998)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Impressive that Bourdais did indeed beat the lap record set by the Toyota. It is worth remembering though that when the Toyota set the previous lap record it was with hard tyres and really no setup work done at all. I think had the Toyota been set up for a qualifying run it would have lapped around 3 seconds faster at least. Still it is a good achievement, just keep things in perspective.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 00:09 (Ref:1864197)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is laughable to compare an irelevant demo run to the DP01.

But that is still some good speed they have with the car. Now, please bring back those 900-odd hp engines.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 00:17 (Ref:1864205)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
I'm not so sure that it's irrelivant to make the comparison. Even if one considers the F1 car faster

Do you mean the 1100hp CC engines of the same design as currently used?

I caught a bit of The Speed Report (SpeedTV) where they interviewed drivers at Laguna. Apparently Bourdais said that the surface at Laguna has changed and he believes that it is responsible for the majority of the lap time reduction (I'm not sure when it occured?).

Another thing, it sounds like they're still having big problems with the standing starts because the Cosworths are easy to make studder and bog down. Several drivers indicated that they felt that it wasn't ready for the first race.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 04:26 (Ref:1864277)   #20
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I can't help but notice how strong TA is in the test sessions this year. I think they will be a force that the other teams have to contend with. It would be pretty cool if Power can take at least a couple of wins this year.
Indeed. They could be in the running for the Most Improved award this year, based on early form. I would love to see Power take home a couple of trophy's this year.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1864365)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Another thing, it sounds like they're still having big problems with the standing starts because the Cosworths are easy to make studder and bog down. Several drivers indicated that they felt that it wasn't ready for the first race.
Yeah it sounds as further work is needed. Maybe they need to start the season with rolling starts and build up to a standing start.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1864891)   #22
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I caught a bit of The Speed Report (SpeedTV) where they interviewed drivers at Laguna. Apparently Bourdais said that the surface at Laguna has changed and he believes that it is responsible for the majority of the lap time reduction (I'm not sure when it occured?).
Laguna Seca circuit has been resurfaced over the winter 2005-2006, and the approach to the Corkscrew has been modified somehow.
I believe, it was done due to requirements of FIM, since some MotoGP riders (inc. Rossi) were not impressed about safety of the track during 2005 USGP.

However, from what I heard during TV coverage of 2006, new surface was as bumpy as old, if not even more bumpier...
Old 16 Mar 2007, 04:55 (Ref:1867939)   #23
scramble
Rookie

scramble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emfa
Indeed. They could be in the running for the Most Improved award this year, based on early form. I would love to see Power take home a couple of trophy's this year.
I am a TA believer! Will Power will be a contender for the Championship this year and if he can win it couldn't happen to a nicer more deserving bloke.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1868210)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to see how Pagenaud runs aswell as it seems that TA have a good grip on the Panoz at this early stage.
Old 17 Mar 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1869026)   #25
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble
I am a TA believer! Will Power will be a contender for the Championship this year and if he can win it couldn't happen to a nicer more deserving bloke.
Hey scramble,

What happened to your certainty of Ryan Briscoe joining Team Australia?