Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 25 Oct 2002, 09:28 (Ref:412978)   #1
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRSCC new ideas?

The BRSCC have launched two ideas this week. Firstly they plan to some track days and secondly the "super club weekend". What do people think of these.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 11:54 (Ref:413070)   #2
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Firstly the cost must be worth getting out of bed for otherwise I think track days will just be as usual and left to the normal track day clubs-and how will these differ from a normal test session? I remember when I marshaled track hires anyone found using timing stuff was told to pack it all away as it was just a fun day and not a serious test session. Just found a 1990 Brands programe for a Saloonfest type weekend-everything from CRX's, Fiesta's etc, etc-no single seaters...it was brilliant! Someting like that would be great although I personally love a bit of FFord action as well. They need incentives to get people in the gate as well...who remembers the "Fordsport" days of the 70's/80's when if you had a Ford road car you got in for free! What do they mean by a "Super Club weekend" Rod??
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:23 (Ref:413374)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A saloon car festival would be fine but right now the BRSCC's saloon categories aren't at their strongest.

The Super Club format is the one discussed in another thread on here and in MN and Autosport this weekend. Basic idea: four or five of the BRSCC's top championships entry-wise, plus guests, at two-day meetings. Testing Saturday morning, qualifying and an endurance race that afternoon (not sure what *kind* of endurance race), then a "full day's racing" on the Sunday. So far Radicals have signed up.

Not sure about the idea myself...
Old 25 Oct 2002, 16:27 (Ref:413380)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it stinks! It means that all the best series spectator wise get bundled together and other meetings suffer. Track days BRSCC the R stands for racing! not showing off my new shiny porsche.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 17:59 (Ref:413482)   #5
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ian, I havn't read much of my Autosport at the moment but apparently the Radical thing could be two (or so Iv'e heard)45 minute races without the need of refueling (cuting costs)with a different driver each race. Larger fuel tanks might be needed possibly. Saloon car series...many suffered due to costs at the various meetings, some circuits had excellent entries while some had poor ones...at the end of the day it should be up to the championship coordinators to address the problem at the start of the year possibly...an incentive...perhaps starting points or something...anything to keep entries at a reasonable level throughout the season. People like Rod race because they love racing but there must be many out there who realise that after 2 rounds they are not going to win a championship and give up there and then. The BRSCC will be shrewd enough (hopefully)to pick those championships that will attract large grids that will bring in the entry fee's (not those again!)but they must chose something that will bring in the spectators (and marshals)...Radicals don't seem to do that!
Old 25 Oct 2002, 21:00 (Ref:413639)   #6
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't see it working really. Powertour had no real impact at increasing spectator numbers, and I don't think that the Radicals will do either. It may help boost driver numbers with longer races and fuller grids though.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 21:25 (Ref:413664)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best way to do things is for clubs to get out there and promote the meetings to the public, increrasing spectators and revenue for the circuits. A bunch of mates will enjoy watching any race from TOCA to Ford Saloons - Rod did I race against you in them?
Old 25 Oct 2002, 22:28 (Ref:413696)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andy

I think the emphasis here is very much on the driver rather than the spectator so a comparison with PowerTour probably isn't that appropriate. But having said that, I *am* a spectator/journalist and I'm not sure this would get me too excited.

The VW Cup may also join the package, and occasionally Northern/Southern FFord, but I'm not sure what else.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 19:31 (Ref:414139)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
so put all your best eggs in one basket and leave the less favoured series to run at over priced and sub standard meetings? terrible terrible idea. BRSCC wake up.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 20:43 (Ref:414206)   #10
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like a case of deja vue, reference the debate on entry fees etc.does the brscc sense that another season of poor grids, run in front of one man and his dog will further damage their credibilty to make running track days the next option. Bit like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic
Old 27 Oct 2002, 17:03 (Ref:414802)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
a bit strong (titanic - not yet!) but getting that way.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 19:59 (Ref:414926)   #12
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so is this because they have booked circuits for races and not ended up using the dates because of a lack of interest? so the only way to make back the money is to sell them as track days??

Matt
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:06 (Ref:415038)   #13
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
I did 2 Toca support races in a Mini several years ago, but the officialdom put me off (parking up on Fridays etc..)The only Ford series I have raced in is the Winter one.
Interesting comments on this thread though. I think some serious ideas on meeting promotion have got to be looked at,otherwise Mr.Jones will be right.
Recently I have asked friends what they will pay to race or spectate. Most agree that to race at Brands will cost more than Lydden (e.g.£160 for Brands,£125 for Lydden). To spectate they reckon £10 per head BUT the events were interesting: Rallycross (providing supercars are there),the CSMA day,a meeting which included Minis/GT/Formula saloons/Caterham superlights (which does not exist to my knowledge), DTM. Only one mentioned the current Touring cars and that costs nearer £20 to get in.None of them seemed interested in the "super weekend" idea if it involved 2x45 minute radical races. As a spectator they said it would be too long. As a competitor probably £400 entry plus fuel,tyres,accomodation etc...
Old 28 Oct 2002, 12:27 (Ref:415407)   #14
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, depends who they are aiming the racing at. Longer races are good for competitors, and if they can attract more drivers out and reduce cost it should be a good thing. However, longer races are boring to watch (most of the time). Anything more than 20 laps, and it turns into a procession.

Although - anyone fancy watching a 1 hour Mighty Mini race!!!I do!!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 12:53 (Ref:415427)   #15
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NO!! My nerves are shredded enough watching 12 laps of Mighties - I'd be dead by the end of an hour!!!

Last edited by Maisie; 28 Oct 2002 at 12:53.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:17 (Ref:415702)   #16
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Yes Maisie...we've heard you screaming after just a couple of laps! I'd be interested to know if the BRSCC or BARC...or whoever runs a meeting at Brands (or anywhere else actually)gets much-if any gate takings as I have heard that at some meetings clubs get none of the gate takings (unsure at what circuits this was at). If that was the case then the organising club wouldn't give a monkeys what they put on as long as they get the entries. Can't say anything at present but I understand a "new" saloon car based series may be in the pipeline possibly for next year-Maisie you may be interseted in this one! I have heard that (apparently)Radicals (Enduro)were paying OVER £600 for an entry (per event) this year!!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 18:21 (Ref:415707)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Two 45-minute Radical races; now that's really going to bring the punters in!

I like the concept of a one-hour Mighty Mini race.....now all we've got to do is find a Mighty Mini driver who can keep it on the black stuff for an hour!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 20:15 (Ref:415810)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I can - but i'm not a mini driver oh. Its only cos I drive like a granny!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 23:21 (Ref:415965)   #19
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Iv'e been offered a 3hr drive at Sebring in Feb'...in a Mighty Mini but It's looking a bit iffy at the moment...an hour round Brands would be better, I could kick some "****" round there...only problem is i need a license!!!
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:39 (Ref:416357)   #20
Adrian Randle
Rookie

Adrian Randle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The key to keeping everyone (drivers, spectators and marshalls) interested is full grids, good racing and friendly teams.

The 1 hour Mini race sounds great. How about adding 2CV's, TVR's, metros, etc with thier own 45 minute races to make it a full and exciting day?
Old 29 Oct 2002, 13:51 (Ref:416398)   #21
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now THAT I'd be happy to watch - I love the one-make series for smaller saloons, like Minis and 2CVs, where the cars are all fairly equal, and the racing is close!

One of my favourite meetings this year was at Brands - tin tops all the way: VSRs, FSaloons, 2CVs, Super Coupes - damn near perfection - all it needed was some Minis
Old 29 Oct 2002, 16:31 (Ref:416484)   #22
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
Iv'e been offered a 3hr drive at Sebring in Feb'...in a Mighty Mini ..
Eh? You're joking shirley?

Tell me more, Baz
Old 29 Oct 2002, 21:04 (Ref:416717)   #23
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
This whole thing of promotion and who gets what is interesting but has been dealt with elsewhere. Simply, deals can be done to get SOME of the gate money e.g. FF festival,rallycross at Lydden, the fun day etc.but usually the clubs just pay a FIXED hire rate and then have to make the event pay with entry fees.This is the crux because some clubs obviously fill their grids by charging a cheaper fee whereas others (!) charge drivers more for "longer" races.
The net result is the current dilema, so perhaps the BRSCC moving into track days maybe a precurser to running behind "closed doors". The so called super weekender might be a promotable event but judging by the comments so far you don't seem convinced... and you are the enthusiasts what about the casual spectators.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 21:54 (Ref:416752)   #24
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
running behind closed doors, If i was dead I would be spinning in my grave! but I'm not, I've just blown a gasket at the mere suggestion!
Old 30 Oct 2002, 12:42 (Ref:417339)   #25
tfg
Rookie

tfg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way to keep punters coming is to keep races shortish and to have 20 or more cars on the grid. Long races may attract certain drivers but endurance races are just boring after about 20 min.
As Rod said the Clubs putting on the races do not get any gate money no matter how good the racing so they have to concentrate on making money from entry fees. If this means putting on boring endurance races or series where overtaking is rare then that is what they have to do. Getting a championship popular with drivers is the first and only priority, if the public then like it and regulary come to see them race then this is unfortunately only a bonus.