Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:16 (Ref:635561)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toronto Molson Indy

Woo hoo! I've just received word I'll be attending as an accredited photographer!

So, who's going, and to what?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:50 (Ref:635585)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job! Maybe you can teach me a thing or two about race photography

Hopefully I'll be seeing a lot of you then! Liz and I have applied for media accreditation www.rfmsports.com . I'm sure she'll be covering all the session reports, and I'm going to see what interviews I can get.

It's going to be a hell of a busy weekend as I have to see family and friends, but I should be there Friday afternoon and most of Saturday for media work. I'll be watching the race with my mum on Sunday from the Bell Mobility area though.

Looking forward to it!

Also, if you like the Toronto Molson Indy, come to the Montreal one! It's like Toronto, but in a much more scenic setting.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Jun 2003, 02:11 (Ref:644278)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the media centre is nicer and you get better food!

Paul, any chance we could co-opt you for a couple of interviews? I have an interview with Stefan Johansson on his Le Mans experiences and I'd love to have a couple of good digital photos to go with it. Jay is working on setting up two interviews and I have asked for two others but haven't heard back yet.

At any rate, lets get together for a beer or three on Sunday (or any other time of your choice)!!!!
Old 27 Jun 2003, 12:32 (Ref:644697)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I work in analogue, but I have a scanner - and for this race, I'll be getting the digital development of all my films too.

I'm sure we can work something out about Stefan.

BTW, don't forget theracegypsy will be there.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:06 (Ref:644798)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
theracegypsy's always there, but I haven't had a chance to meet up with him yet...spends too much time out on the track waving flags and such .

I'll do some of my own photography, but I'm an amateur, and thus only shoot a few rolls each weekend because of the cost of processing. So, if you're feeling generous and have some spare time, come see us . We should know who we're interviewing in a week or so.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:58 (Ref:644866)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Jay, I'm an amateur too. We can share tips, but I doubt you'll learn much from me.

I am, however, past my student days and can afford a few more rolls of film than you.

-Bill James
Old 28 Jun 2003, 03:00 (Ref:645241)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
lol....if I have some spare time maybe I'll join you on a shoot somewhere. I'll see though, I'm still waiting to hear back from two teams about their drivers. It'll be a pretty busy weekend though - my train from Ottawa leaves at 6am Friday morning.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 18:48 (Ref:645563)   #8
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea, I'll be there, like always. On of the officials complained because I wasn't introduced as a guest 2 years ago at the marshals morning meeting. she was told that "Bob isn't a guest, he has done more Molsons than most locals"
Not quite true, but I've only missed a few.
Don't know which post I'm on yet, and this year still looking for floor space, as my friend has moved out of Toronto, but certainly up for a beer one night.
Arriving 7th, staying til 17th, then off to Edmonton & Vancouver.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 11:16 (Ref:645914)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got an interview with Tags set up now, don't know when yet but will let you know. Stefan is Friday during the autograph session.

I have met Mr. Racegypsy -- last year at the ALMS Mosport -- and I hope to meet him again at one of the Canadian rounds (I have five coming up in the next 2 months! ) if not in Toronto.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:03 (Ref:646081)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I've just got 3...but Toronto is the busiest by far, so I may not be able to hook up with you guys away from the track. If you're going to be in Montreal or Trois Rivieres though we should definately grab a beer away from the track.

I've got agreements for two interviews, but no times yet...grrr... anyway I'll have something worked out.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 18:07 (Ref:646273)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Me, I've got nowhere in particular to go. Well, trackside during the practice and qualifying, and paddock otherwise.

I'd be happy to join any of you during your interviews if you wish me to. But I'll need an agenda.

I'm going down Wednesday lunch to pick up my creds. Liz?

-Bill James
Old 1 Jul 2003, 02:07 (Ref:647924)   #12
Liz
Veteran

We haven't got our confirmation yet but will probably go down Wednesday or Thursday at lunch.

As soon as we have specific confirmations (other than Stefan as above), we'll contact you -- and thanks!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 03:23 (Ref:647952)   #13
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope to bump into you guys n gals. I'm planing to make the early rounds in the paddock before breakfast in the Checker Flag Club. I'll also be up n down the pits during the V.I.P. walk thru each day. If your all going to get together for a drink let me know where amd i'll do my best to make it. Thanx Dave
Old 2 Jul 2003, 01:53 (Ref:649139)   #14
Liz
Veteran

We can always get together in the Motorsport Hall Thingy behind the Silver Grandstands -- there's an air conditioned beer garden in there!

Paul, 1:15 Friday at the Rocketsports Transporter. See you there!
Old 2 Jul 2003, 03:01 (Ref:649163)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The beer garden at the track sound good!

Still working on invertiews.... I don't think photos should be a problem with me for interviews, but I need some action shots if I don't get time to go trackside. That said paul, I;d like to try some shooting with you somewhere if we have time.

Last edited by Jay; 2 Jul 2003 at 03:01.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 15:43 (Ref:649788)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
...and I've just received a new motor for my Ricoh KR-10 Super. Now both my SLRs are driven. I'm all set!

Now, if I could just get a pair of those steady "photographer" hands...

-Bill James
Old 2 Jul 2003, 18:30 (Ref:649953)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
yeah...those don't come cheap.

Anyway, my first invterview scheduled is Darren Manning. I think he'll be an interesting one.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 19:17 (Ref:649999)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Liz, if you're picking your stuff up Wednesday, I think I'm going to drive the circuit to map out potential photo sites. Interested? Jay, if you're in town you're invited, too.

-Bill James
Old 2 Jul 2003, 20:11 (Ref:650076)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Wish I was, but I won't get into town til Friday at 10am. Taking a 6am Train from Toronto, so I probably won't be quite with it on Friday... hope I can at least remember the drivers names...

From what I remember there plenty of good photo ops. The great thing about street circuis like Toronto, is you can get so close that you don't any kind of zoom. Just watch out for flying parts .
Old 2 Jul 2003, 20:33 (Ref:650126)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Yeah, I'm glad I've got a 28 as well as my 50 and 70-200. I'm guessing they'll all get a track workout.

Do photo creds get you on top of the Automotive Building?

-Bill James
Old 3 Jul 2003, 03:44 (Ref:650416)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I don't think so...at least I don't remember seeing anyone up there (I usually sit in the grandstand opposite it), but there are a few photo towers at strategic spots that are supposed to provide good views. Lots of opportunities to experiment at this track.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 11:54 (Ref:650746)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Liz, if you're picking your stuff up Wednesday, I think I'm going to drive the circuit to map out potential photo sites. Interested? Jay, if you're in town you're invited, too.
You bet! Call me!

The webmaster has been assured that we're approved, so as soon as I have the written confirmation I'll PM you for further details.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:51 (Ref:650845)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day

-Bill James
Old 3 Jul 2003, 14:55 (Ref:650958)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
oh man...I might be headed to Toronto this weekend too... It's a very busy time. OTOH, it might free up some time for me on the race weekend.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 12:51 (Ref:656821)   #25
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
*bump*

-Bill James