Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 May 2003, 02:23 (Ref:597546)   #1
rx3racer
Rookie

rx3racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New track at Kilcoy in QLD?

Has anyone else heard the rumour of a track to be built on a parcel of land at Kilcoy in Qld by the Historic racing club?
Old 13 May 2003, 02:35 (Ref:597548)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been some discussions apparently. I'm wondering what affect that Lakeside being heritage listed and to be used for historic racing will have on that though.
Old 13 May 2003, 02:38 (Ref:597549)   #3
rx3racer
Rookie

rx3racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it goes ahead, that way I won't have to leave home two days before a race meeting to get there.
Old 13 May 2003, 02:41 (Ref:597551)   #4
pete55
Veteran

LOL, that is my home town so it would be alright for me too.
Old 13 May 2003, 02:43 (Ref:597553)   #5
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRCC are investigating a site at Kilcoy - there is a site visit for members on Sat 24 May (I think that date's right?)

Has the historic listing of Lakeside done anything for the likelihood of resuming racing? As far as I know, all it means is that the track can't be ripped up, but it doesn't mean that the Pine Rivers Shire Council has to allow racing.

Being realistic, once a race track is no longer operating it is very difficult for it to re-open as nearby residents can claim a loss of value/amenity as a result of the re-opening. Hope it does re-open though...
Old 13 May 2003, 03:53 (Ref:597573)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right there- the only thing the Heritage listing does is stop them from knocking it over. They can lock the gates and let the place rot into the ground. If they could classify bulldozer racing as motorsport, they probably would...

HOWEVEER- at least in recent times the PRSC has been talking to Lakeside groups, and have reworded the tender to allow low level motorsport. However this could come at a cost. It may take up to $800,000 for it be brought back up to spec, and even then, since the place would have to be used as a multi-purpose venue, we might only get it for a few weekends a year. Don't forget a CAMS license, probaly over $10K worth, it would hardly be a viable proposition for club level motorsport.

Kilcoy- yep, a real posibility, although the HRCC has been talking to a number of different shires around the place. If you want more info on Kilcoy, I can email you a few info pieces and articles.
Old 13 May 2003, 07:56 (Ref:597656)   #7
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't need a CAMS licence to run a race track!
Old 13 May 2003, 08:03 (Ref:597659)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the belief that Wakefield Park didn't have a Cams licnence when it was started by Paul Samuels
Old 13 May 2003, 11:43 (Ref:597766)   #9
jhayden
Rookie

jhayden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was of the understanding that this Kilcoy proposal was for a sprint type circuit and not a fully fledged race circuit at this time - is that true Crashy?
Old 13 May 2003, 12:39 (Ref:597822)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whether or not it is right up to racing spec straight away (ie putting walls up etc), it will no doubt be a racing circuit.
Old 15 May 2003, 03:14 (Ref:599294)   #11
GTV27
Veteran

My impression is the HRCC is aiming to reproduce a "Morgan Park", but about an hour closer to Brisbane.

If it gets off the ground it would likely be a basic circuit that could be added to in terms of facilities (and length) over time (which is how MP was done).

Being realistic, I'm not sure that club has the "grunt" to pull it off. You just have to look at the staggering amount of work that the Warwick District Sporting Car Club put into Morgan Park and that the MG Car Club put into Mt Cotton.

Its a shame that we can't use Lakeside and Darlington Park - fantastic tracks so close to Brisbane....
Old 17 May 2003, 00:50 (Ref:601514)   #12
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Bridges near Kilcoy?
Old 19 May 2003, 04:16 (Ref:603074)   #13
GTV27
Veteran

Proposed track site is 3km from Kilcoy (towards Calboolture), on Neurum Road, which (apparently) runs off the D'Aguilar Highway towards Woodford via Villeneuve - I'm sure to get lost!

Bridges? What the...?
Old 19 May 2003, 05:34 (Ref:603092)   #14
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The site is in the locality of WINYA. Hmm - "WINYA RACEWAY" maybe? Close to Somerset Dam - "The New Lakeside Raceway"?
The HRCCQ is holding at Picnic at the new site this coming Saturday 24th May from 1pm so everyone can view the proposed site.
Old 19 May 2003, 06:24 (Ref:603098)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Damside Raceway?
Old 19 May 2003, 12:53 (Ref:603471)   #16
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I was not quite correct, the circuit is close to Lake Somerset which is created by Somerset Dam. The circuit site is a long way from the dam, if you know what I mean.
Old 19 May 2003, 15:34 (Ref:603667)   #17
pete55
Veteran

If the site is 3KM from Kilcoy it would probably be on property belong to the Kennedys or on a property the Woodford end of that property. There is also a reserve on the Woodford end of Kennedys property.That property would be classified in the Winya area i would say. It has been quiet a while since i've been closely associated with Kilcoy but that is the area where i would imagine it to be.
Old 20 May 2003, 00:01 (Ref:604108)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What the obsession with these clubbie tracks in the sticks?

Wakefield Park is a good little circuit, but being almost 200km from Sydney does nothing to endear it to anyone
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 20 May 2003, 00:30 (Ref:604124)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well we could put one right in the middle of civilisation, but then it would have to be closed down in 5 years because of noise complaints. Look at Amaroo, Oran Park, Calder, Surfers etc etc.

Kilcoy has some of the lowest population growth in Queensland, the community is very supportive, the council is very supportive, it all makes sense. I live on the northside of Brisbane, and it would be quicker to get to Kilcoy than it is to QR, and QR isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere.
Old 20 May 2003, 00:44 (Ref:604133)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
What the obsession with these clubbie tracks in the sticks?

Wakefield Park is a good little circuit, but being almost 200km from Sydney does nothing to endear it to anyone
Quite simple - the cost of hiring the 'established' venues is now getting too high. $5,500 for a one day SUperSprint at Calder 2 weeeks ago - $45,000 for a 2 day race meeting at Sandown Park now...
Old 20 May 2003, 02:44 (Ref:604176)   #21
pete55
Veteran

Because CAMS have lost control of V8 supercars they can't give all tracks a viable race program to enable them to make a profit on any other days other than those V8 supercar races.
This is not a big country and the money spent on sponsorship is basically soaked up by V8 supercars leaving the grass roots to struggle to compete.
One point i would like to make, is that when a new circuit such as the proposed Kilcoy track is built it is only built for one type of racing whereas they should be looking at building a multipurpose venue. In my opinion the Kilcoy track if it eventuates should be running bikes, karts, driver training etc and also be suitable to hold other sports or entertainment.
Old 20 May 2003, 03:03 (Ref:604181)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The cost of setting up a proper FIA-approved circuit is phenomenal, Eastern Creek cost well over $100m to put together and its still no showcase...

I wish I had the budget in my control for that, I think we could have got at least 3 circuits for that price but anyway...

Its not unreasonable from one perspective to expect that the fees to hire a track are expensive, not withstanding the problems with public liability insurance, just to get the original price back from the users...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 20 May 2003, 03:29 (Ref:604184)   #23
pete55
Veteran

GTR, the point i was trying to make is that the days of a single purpose facility are maybe numbered. Also i'm not saying Kilcoy should be another Eastern Creek. As this is basically a club track i think reasonable facilities are suffice and good racing and entertainment is what is required to make the track a success.
Old 20 May 2003, 04:02 (Ref:604188)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
But I think you're all kind of missing the point. The HRCC aren't planning an FIA cicuit- they are building it for amateur motorsport, all sorts, cars, bikes, karts, corporate days, driver training, swap meets, etc etc.

QR is an FIA approved track, and it was more in the $10mil range, but that was partly due to the flooding of the place during construction.

I also think there is a misconception that a cirucit must have a V8 round to stay profitable. The problem is these days, the costs of running a V8 round have skyrocketed, while the income hasn't really done anything. How much money does Avesco want for a sanctioning fee? What are the CAMS permit fees for a major national championship like? What demands do the powers that be impose on tracks (look at improvements at Winton, Oran Park, Barbagallo etc)? The tracks/promoters are dishing out all of this money, but aren't really getting much more back in return. The number of punters isn't really going up, and the tracks cant got and charge twice as much for admission, because nobody would come.

What tracks have to do these days is diversify. Have race schools during the week, burnout comps, drifting, motorkhanas, tv/movie filming, international teams testing here, tyre/car manufacturers testing etc etc. Also, there is a bit of coin in shed hire at weekend time- makes more money in the long run for the circuit than bringing in marquees!
Old 20 May 2003, 04:22 (Ref:604196)   #25
pete55
Veteran

If you see what i said Crash, i was saying that Kilcoy would NOT be an Eastern Creek. Kart hire and Kart test and race facilities are a bit scarse in this area (Brisbane North) so i can see a need for it in that area. The Big Kart track apparently don't want race meetings or to hire for testing anyway and there is a proposed track at Gympie but nothing in between.