Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Aug 2010, 03:59 (Ref:2750897)   #1
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris van der Drift

In fact, as far as I am concerned his manager should never be allowed to be manager of a professional driver again. How can someone 'forget' to insure his driver for personal injury due to accidents? but still claim all the prizemoney said driver won?

Clearly such people should not be allowed anywhere near motorsports.

Luckily for Chris there are people near him who do care about his safety and health enough to do something.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2750910)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not a manager but a conman.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 05:54 (Ref:2750913)   #3
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
as asked on Radio Le Mans Midweek Motorsport Collective Forum... he is covered by the NHS in the UK isn't he? Is he requiring non NHS treatment? I would have assumed all drivers have Personal Injury Insurance though. Hope he gets named and shamed, if not publicly, at least other drivers will know who he is
Old 27 Aug 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2750962)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes View Post
I agree
Old 27 Aug 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2750969)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
as asked on Radio Le Mans Midweek Motorsport Collective Forum... he is covered by the NHS in the UK isn't he? Is he requiring non NHS treatment?
the pace of treatment can be a little slower than someone like a racing driver would require, especially if he needs cosmetic surgery to rebuild his finger.

does anyone have a source for the fact his manager didn't ensure his personal injury cover was valid? if it's just grapevine stuff we have to be a little careful about what we say on the forum.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2751008)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Non UK residents are not entitled to NHS treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dept of Health
Anyone who is not ordinarily resident is subject to the National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 1989, as amended. These regulations place a responsibility on NHS hospitals to establish whether a person is ordinarily resident; or exempt from charges under one of a number of exemption categories; or liable for charges.

. . .

All treatment given by staff at a hospital or by staff employed by a hospital may be subject to a charge with the following exceptions, which are free to all:

Treatment given in an accident and emergency department (excludes emergency treatment given elsewhere in the hospital); . . .
Regards

Jim
Old 27 Aug 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2751011)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
isn't a certain level of treatment covered by the e111 form/european health insurance card if you're an eu citizen?
Old 27 Aug 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2751012)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe, but he's a Kiwi I think. What are the arrangements for Commonwealth Citizens?

It's not just about health cover - what about loss of earnings?
Old 27 Aug 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2751017)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
does anyone have a source for the fact his manager didn't ensure his personal injury cover was valid? if it's just grapevine stuff we have to be a little careful about what we say on the forum.
I was just coming along to say the same thing...

Is there any proof of this? There management agreement may stipulate all sorts of things about payment of prize money etc (drivers at the start of their careers often sign poor agreements that they later regret).

Did the management agreement indicate that the manager was responsible for putting the PI cover in place - would that not involve the driver's participation and is it not also for driver's to ensure that they have the required cover? Were misrepresenations made? Who knows...

TBH without the second side of the story it's difficult to make any judgment, certainly it seems risky to make unfounded allegations on a public forum.

It's pretty daft for any driver to compete at an international level without adequate insurance, whether in this case that was Chris's fault or someone elses is impossible to say.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2751022)   #10
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In fact, as far as I am concerned his manager should never be allowed to be manager of a professional driver again. How can someone 'forget' to insure his driver for personal injury due to accidents? but still claim all the prizemoney said driver won?

Luckily for Chris there are people near him who do care about his safety and health enough to do something.
Who is his manager?
Old 27 Aug 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2751037)   #11
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Maybe, but he's a Kiwi I think. What are the arrangements for Commonwealth Citizens?
As I said above; "Anyone who is not ordinarily resident is subject to the National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 1989".

Everyone who is not ordinarily resident in the UK pays. Some EU citizens may have recourse to their own Government but that is not an issue here, it seems.

If Chris had not established "ordinary residence in the UK", then he pays for treatment after "A&E" work finishes.

As he is a Kiwi, the concept of paying for health care (or, at least, some element of that) will not be foreign to him.

Of course, if he is seeking care outside the NHS, as many professional sports players will need, he will pay in just the same way as others would have to.

Regards

Jim
Old 27 Aug 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2751042)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I found this on Facebook, which suggests there is some truth in the story. It's a straight cut and paste:

Quote:
Chris Van Der Drift Appeal by Pippa Mann on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 8:55am Hi guys,

A fellow driver, Chris Van Der Drift had a huge crash a few weeks ago at Brands hatch, and this email/appeal for help was sent to me by a friend. I am unable to be in the UK for this event, but I promise to do what I could via facebook to get word out there even over here in the States.

Please read below, and please copy and paste, and send on to anyone who you think might be able to help in anyway or anyone you know in the UK who might be interested in attending.

We all know we compete in a dangerous sport, and we regularly get injured and make recoveries. However I am extremely lucky here in America, knowing I have full Indycar support for anything which happens to me on track. Chris was not so lucky, and now is struggling to pay his medical bills for the treatment and surgery needed to mend his injuries.

Thankyou for helping me spread the word.

Pippa.

On the 1st August Superleague driver Chris Van Der Drift had a massive crash at Brands Hatch, which resulted in a dislocated and broken ankle, broken wrist, broken finger, 2 broken ribs, cracked shoulder blade and mangled left index finger. Chris is lucky to be alive. His crash had the second highest recorded g force that a driver has survived.You can see more at:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Van-der-Drift...0/Default.aspx

Unfortunately for Chris, unbeknown to him, his driver manager had not got him the personal accident insurance that he was promised, so now Chris is struggling to pay for his treatment. To help get Chris back on the road to recovery as soon as possible, we are organising this go karting event to raise the money needed to help his full recovery.

The event will see some of motorsports biggest and up and coming talents, as well as many racing teams, compete in a two hour endurance race, which will be officiated by Mark Webber and covered in autosport.

Please show your support for a fellow racing driver by entering the go kart race, that will take place on the 7th September, 5pm at Daytona, Milton Keynes.The cost of entering a team is 250 pounds(the daytona charge) plus a donation for Chris, would be very much appreciated.

An auction is also being held at the event, so we would be very grateful for any motorsport memorabilia, racing stuff etc that you would like to donate.

If you don't feel like participating please come along anyway with your family and friends to support the event.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2751084)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
likewise here:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86134
Old 27 Aug 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2751100)   #14
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that it's clear that Chris is uninsured. I am less sure that it proves that his manager is the lying, scumball as appears to be suggested?
Old 27 Aug 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2751113)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd always have some type of insurance to cover yourself.

Quite a few managers are pretty worthless. Personally I would only pay one for services rendered such as legal help or other issues, but otherwise, I'd run your own affairs.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2751136)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
http://www.autosport.nl/news/21171/d...september.html
Old 27 Aug 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2751145)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I agree that it's clear that Chris is uninsured. I am less sure that it proves that his manager is the lying, scumball as appears to be suggested?
It depends on whether or not he told Chris that he had arranged the insurance, doesn't it?

If I was the driver I would want to see the policy for myself and check the small print, much as I expect you would Piglet.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2751229)   #18
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
Since Chris is a Dutch citizen aswell, there is a chance that some, if not most of his immediate medical costs are covered by his Dutch health insurance. However, it may not cover for reconstructive surgery or extensive revalidation
Old 27 Aug 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2751243)   #19
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
this facebook event/group does say the issues were caused by his Manager and I note one of the owners is Chris..... so he can type then
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...7450444&ref=ts
Old 28 Aug 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2751521)   #20
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
this facebook event/group does say the issues were caused by his Manager and I note one of the owners is Chris..... so he can type then
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...7450444&ref=ts
Has it been amended? It now says:

"The horrifying accident suffered by Chris last month shocked the world of motorsport and left the Dutch-Kiwi driver badly injured. Lucky to still be alive, he now faces a battle to get back to the grid after being left without the funds for his rehabilitation." (my bold)

No allegations about individuals?

I have no idea what the correct situation is, it's just easy for those left in the poo to blame everyone else around them and I'd hate to see someone being pilloried with no evidence.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2751546)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Subtle change that, from treatment to rehabilitation.

Those words would indicate that the hospital in Dartford that treated van der Drift is not seeking payment, rather that the driver is looking for funding to cover what most British citizens without additional insurance would also have to pay for, treatment outside of the NHS - private physio etc for an accelerated return to full (athlete levels of) fitness.

So basically, its a plea for help from friends & acquaintances, akin to those that go on holiday without adequate travel insurance, get ****ed, break both legs or whatever then get a splash in the local rag.

(yes I realise that sounds harsh...but..if I forget to insure my home and contents, should I just hope that I have enough friends that will give me money to make it good?)

He could just take his time and wait for next season, this one is surely a write off

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 28 Aug 2010 at 21:01.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2751553)   #22
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
well, he or she wouldn't be the first or the last manager in sports or entertainment to look badly after his/ her subject(s).
Old 29 Aug 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2751658)   #23
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
well, he or she wouldn't be the first or the last manager in sports or entertainment to look badly after his/ her subject(s).
I agree with you Richard, I am sure his identity will out as he will have to respond to our criticism.

I think this situation is typical of a young race driver's wanting desperately to drive but with no funds they take any opportunity to drive and sign any sort of contract to enable them to drive. In my opinion it is a managers duty of care to ensure a race driver is well covered by insurance regardless of who is responsable for the cost. The series organisers also should stipulate a driver has insurance. As for prize money again young drivers with no funds or sponsoship will race for free and not get any of the prize money. Thats common place but if Chris's managemaent took the prize money he has won and then abandoned him thats dispicable.

Now Chris has to rely on friends to rally round him to help with 'Sports Medicine' he needs for a quick recovery (in addition to his normal NHS treatment), there is no mention of his management being involved.

At the end of the day we should all be thankfull Chris is alive after surviving a 210g impact on the same track that saw Henry Surtees tragic accident..

The mentioned Event to help Chris seems to be gaining momentum. We need to support Chris and in one way to do so is through this event and stop trying to determine blame (Piglet). At least Chris' friends are going to a lot of trouble to give something to race fans not just asking for donations.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2751661)   #24
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks View Post
At the end of the day we should all be thankfull Chris is alive after surviving a 210g impact on the same track that saw Henry Surtees tragic accident..

The mentioned Event to help Chris seems to be gaining momentum. We need to support Chris and in one way to do so is through this event and stop trying to determine blame (Piglet). At least Chris' friends are going to a lot of trouble to give something to race fans not just asking for donations.
Me?? LoL, no you'll note I'm the one saying that people shouldn't be apportioning blame on a public forum with no knowledge of the facts - sorry if that doesn't suit your scenario

Not sure of the relevance of mentioning Henry I hope that's not being used as some kind of publicity seeking mechanism?
Old 29 Aug 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2751663)   #25
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure of the relevance of mentioning Henry I hope that's not being used as some kind of publicity seeking mechanism?[/QUOTE]

Wow what a sceptic........ why so negative?