Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2002, 14:48 (Ref:335047)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
who will be McLaren's new tester?

with Wurz set to go to Toyota next year, who will be McLarens new 3rd driver? Jean Alesi was "in serious talks" with them a while back for a permanant role after completing a few tests for them, and he is on good terms with Mercedes, after performing well in DTM. so i think Alesi. what do u guys think?
Old 16 Jul 2002, 15:29 (Ref:335069)   #2
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could be, with maybe Lewis Hamilton to assist
Old 16 Jul 2002, 15:36 (Ref:335074)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THATS A DAMM GOOD CALL......but not for their number 1 tester . Im sure he could have some testing during the year .

How about Gary paffett also ?
Old 16 Jul 2002, 15:38 (Ref:335076)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cant see Alsei though....maybe someone more like HHF ?
Old 16 Jul 2002, 16:26 (Ref:335096)   #5
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best test drivers are ones with experience - so I think a Wurz - McNish swap is likely.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 17:48 (Ref:335152)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What would Alesi have to gain from testing for McLaren, after all he's achieved? I think McNish would be many people's dream test driver, and of course the fact that he is a native English speaker will help in McLaren. I suspect taht they will follow the Ferrari route of having an experiecne driver like Allan alongside someone like Paffett or Hamilton
Old 16 Jul 2002, 18:04 (Ref:335160)   #7
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it would do McNish's career any good if he became test driver for McLaren. He's been a test driver many times and needs to race!
Old 16 Jul 2002, 18:30 (Ref:335175)   #8
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll go with a possible of Gary Paffett, especially after his DTM tests and Norby's comments. leading the German F3 at present.

Rgds

Jaxs
Old 16 Jul 2002, 20:37 (Ref:335310)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mcnish is a strong possiblilty i agree , but If Arrows were to change hands and HHF doesnt fit in with the new scheme , where would he go for next year ?.,,no where , so maybe testing ??..all ifs and buts i suppose .

Mcnish and Paffett would be a good test team.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 00:27 (Ref:335446)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IF McNish is let go by Toyota, then a testing role at McLaren might be his only chance of getting his bum into an F1 car next year.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 01:12 (Ref:335463)   #11
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
I don't think it would do McNish's career any good if he became test driver for McLaren. He's been a test driver many times and needs to race!
That's fer sure! McNish is 32 and not getting any younger; if he's to get a good crive the time is now.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 03:12 (Ref:335479)   #12
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button as McLaren test driver?
Old 17 Jul 2002, 05:51 (Ref:335509)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: who will be McLaren's new tester?

Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
so i think Alesi. what do u guys think?
Not a chance, especially after he slagged off this years McLaren earlier in the season. Ron won't let him back in this years car, let alone next years!
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:04 (Ref:335677)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't recall Alesi slagging off this years Mclaren, if memeory serves correct I thought he had only praise for it.
As for Alesi being a test driver; I personally couldn't think of a worse choice. The man has a poor history of developing cars, especially when it concerns the modern cars and all their technical doodads. At Prost he didn't even use the traction control. Thanks for being a team player there Jean. It wasn't until Frentzen arrived that the Prost showed any of it's potential. From what I have read Jean had a tendency to drive around a car's problems instead of sorting them out.
Mclaren need a quick, consistent driver with a head for the technical aspects of F1. The Frentzen idea sounds good, I think Pedro de la Rosa would be good in this regard also.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:16 (Ref:335684)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"At Prost he didn't even use the traction control. Thanks for being a team player there Jean. It wasn't until Frentzen arrived that the Prost showed any of it's potential."

Maybe Frentzen shouldn't've switched on the launch control though, judging by Belgium. Better to go without something that to use it badly

Jean was a racer, and one known for an agressive lurid driving style, achieved with an oversteering car. Traction control was the antithesis of what he (and his fans) consider racing to be about. You can't teach a racing dog Bernie tricks.

I agree, though, that he wouldn't make a good test driver, and I doubt Frentzen would consider the idea just to prolong his career. McNish, sadly, looks set to be a 1-season wonder, he hasn't showed enough potential to be a good longterm idea when so many other drivers are around.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 11:36 (Ref:335691)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
[BJean was a racer, and one known for an agressive lurid driving style, achieved with an oversteering car. Traction control was the antithesis of what he (and his fans) consider racing to be about. You can't teach a racing dog Bernie tricks.[/B]
Couldn't agree more, so it's good that he got out of F1 when he did.
As for the launch control, you'll never perfect it if you don't use it. Perfect example, DC at Monaco last year vs. DC at Monaco this year.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 17 Jul 2002, 12:07 (Ref:335713)   #17
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something in my head reckons it could be Mika! He said something in Monaco along the lines of he would "surprise" everybody next year! Now, the various magazines are reporting that he's opted not to return to Formula One RACING, but he also said that he knew Ron would have him back any time he wanted!

Unless of course Mika is going to stun us all and sign for Ferrari in Michael's seat... (I'd love to see the expression on Ron's face if that happened )
Old 17 Jul 2002, 12:10 (Ref:335714)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
Unless of course Mika is going to stun us all and sign for Ferrari in Michael's seat... (I'd love to see the expression on Ron's face if that happened )
Yes, I'd love to see that too. BUT IN RUBEN'S SEAT!!!! If that happens I promiss a 2 months monster party and noone (and I mean noone) stands sober near me, within a 500 m radius...
Old 17 Jul 2002, 12:48 (Ref:335729)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i very highly doubt that Mika will go to ferari next year. i very highly doubt that he will race at all, next year. mund u, a mclaren testing job he could do, but would he want to? well i think Mclaren are gonna go for 2 testers, one a young rookie and the other a seasoned ex-racer. my choices:

ROOKIE
Gary Paffet
Lewis Hamilton?

EX-RACER
Mika Hakkinen
Jean Alesi?
Frentzen (mught be a tester if arrows go down, plus hes german, a bonus for merc)
McNish (knows DC very well, plus very experienced)
Old 17 Jul 2002, 17:52 (Ref:335859)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
I never even thought about Hakkinen being the Mclaren Test driver..

That might be a good guess
Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:17 (Ref:336405)   #21
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Doesn't Justin Wilson still want to drive in F1. Here's your foot in the door Justin.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 01:40 (Ref:337003)   #22
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Yes, I'd love to see that too. BUT IN RUBEN'S SEAT!!!! If that happens I promiss a 2 months monster party and noone (and I mean noone) stands sober near me, within a 500 m radius...
Don't forget to invite me!

Er...i doubt that ur sober while ur typin this reply
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:28 (Ref:337015)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Mika would be a good choice, but I just cannot imagine Mika watching F1 races after testing the car all week. He wouldn't last 2 GPs before wanting to race again. Maybe massa might like a go at testing at McLaren. Alex Wurz was offered a three year testing contract, but the guy wants to race also.

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 19 Jul 2002 at 02:29.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:36 (Ref:337020)   #24
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Suzy's reading of the hints about Mika.
It seems that all the evidence over the past year, statements made, and NOT made, could point to Mika in the test seat.

I've been championing HHF at McLaren for ages, its nice to see someone else agree wityh this idea.
For what its worth, Wurz will be hard to replace.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:45 (Ref:337025)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
HHF was never the driver that damon was, but I wouldn't want to stuff up his career by making him the test driver for any team, not even Ferrari. HHF occasionally puts in a blinding effort; maybe Eddie Jordan might have a seat for him?
Maybe not

Valve