Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Nov 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1460560)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happened to V8 Star?

Is the V8 Star championship still on the go?
Old 14 Nov 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1460562)   #2
alfan
Racer

Poland
Wroclaw, Poland
alfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it's dead. And no sings of ressurection...
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1460588)   #3
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some cars are expected to appear in the UK next year in the new BritCar organised V8 sprint races
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1460599)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One car for certain: http://www.wood-scott.com/news_2005/11_JAG.htm
Up to three were active in the Gemran Endurance Championship, although they all were gone by the end of the season. At least one is likely to be back next year.
www.vln.de

V8STAR has been dead for two years now, and is the subject of some nostalgia among German fan circles; funny how they didn't care as long as the championship actually ran. It has to be said that the country that has the DTM and an S2000-based series in the DPM does not need a third top-drawer touringcar series. And certainly not a silhouette series with faux-VWs and Opels that all sound alike, and an odd race format.

In my opinion, it was a foolish idea from the outset; no German or other European manufacturer builds V8 engines, and why would they want to have a car out there that's not powered by one of their engines? Naturally they weren't exactly supporting the concept. With engine regs based on the V6s that all these companies actually build, they would have got behind it. And considering the state of affairs in the DTM right now, who knows what might have happened.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 14 Nov 2005 at 19:34. Reason: added images & EUR 0.02 worth of cereal box wisdom
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1460636)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In the Dutch Supercar Challenge there are 1 or 2 VW Passats.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1461035)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do manufacturers really care what engine powers those cars? Was that what really kept them from supporting the series? Most passing or average observers would only see a Jag S Type/Mondeo/Passat racing. Only the diehard fans would really care about what's underneath the skin? I'm not sure what type of money V8Star organizers were asking to have the cars display the actual manufacturer badge?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1461049)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
Do manufacturers really care what engine powers those cars?
You bet. A number of the silhouettes that were used had to be altered at the request of the respective manufacturers; they would not have their road cars ssociated with the Roush-powered V8STAR cars. Ford didn't mind because hey, it's a Ford anyway (Mondeo, ironically the body that was least used), and Jaguar didn't have a competition programme at the time, and still doesn't (S-Type); VW at one point cautiously supported the idea, then backed away from it, and vetoed the branding of the Passat silhouette as "Volkswagen"; the BMW, Lexus, Opel, Audi shapes had to be modified. Needless to say, these manufacturers did nothing to publicise the series. It hurt the whole operation badly.

edited to add this: especially in Germany, which is still Europe's #1 car country, both factories and spectators care quite a lot about what's underneath the bonnet. This is precisely the wrong country for such a series.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1461175)   #8
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget to mention the guys running it were only there for the cash.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1461422)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
...rather than the love of the sport? - Shock horror!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1461993)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Don't forget to mention the guys running it were only there for the cash.
I heard the same criticism about the NATCC during it's short life. Sighh....
Old 6 Dec 2005, 20:41 (Ref:1478500)   #11
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would the Jag have cost the new owner ?

As a benchmark on speed, can anyone give me comparitive lap times of a V8Star & a Porsche GT3.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1479081)   #12
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They compete with the Vipers, DTM cars and Special Porsches at the Ring 24. Their speed is closer to GTS/GT1 than to Porsche GT/GT2 (GT3R) pace. They're the most powerful car on the track (except maybe for the Jurgen Alzen Alien) and they more or less leave the DTM cars behind on the straights... Lasting 24 hours is another story...
Old 7 Dec 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1479097)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy

As a benchmark on speed, can anyone give me comparitive lap times of a V8Star & a Porsche GT3.
Three or four years ago they tried to start a V8Stars series in Holland. At that time they said a car costed around 100,000 €.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1479142)   #14
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Stuart and Steve drove the Porsche GT3 Cup car this year and have tested the Jag and the Jag is a lot faster...
Old 8 Dec 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1479298)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
...and the series was still a failure. Sorry.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1479424)   #16
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
In my opinion, it was a foolish idea from the outset; no German or other European manufacturer builds V8 engines, and why would they want to have a car out there that's not powered by one of their engines?
Errrrr..... Audi A8 (who seem to be German), Jaguar XJR8, Lotus, TVR, Fiat (Ferrari), Mercedes Benz (hmmmmm German), Coswoth, Ilmor, all European made.

Mind you, the cheapest V8's come from the US because they build them in their millions.

But as you say, it was a foolish idea, with the DTM already in the top spot in Europe, and all of the Supertouring championships around at the time.

We'll take them! Bring 'em over here, I won't charge for disposing of them....

Rob.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1480886)   #17
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Britcar are going to have a V8 class next year, would these cars be eligable and/or competitive?
Old 9 Dec 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1480903)   #18
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen 'for sale' adverts for Nigel Mustill's Opel Omega example, whih was described as being eligible for Britcar. Also, I think they will be allowed into the EERC's new V8 Saloon Car Championships. However, I wouldn't like to speculate on how competitive they would be.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1481023)   #19
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find that Mr Tucker will have ways of levelling the playing field.

I'm hoping that he'll let my monster in. I think that weight will probably be used to equalise performance, as I don't like intake restrictors - they cost too much in terms of re-mapping/re-jetting carburettors, and hey, I like the sound of a big V8 doing 8000rpm!

More details will be annouced at Autosport International no doubt.

Rob.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1481047)   #20
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The V8 stars were only good on the fast parts of a track, slow corners were always a bit of a struggle. But once they got going, they were fast.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1481398)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
As a guide the V8Star Passat used in the Dutch Supercar Challenge is currently advertised at 80K Euro.
http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/Show...?Nieuws_ID=373
Old 14 Dec 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1484123)   #22
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
The V8 stars were only good on the fast parts of a track, slow corners were always a bit of a struggle. But once they got going, they were fast.
What would be there V8 competition? Ext Transam and DTM machinery? Would they be more tosseable that the V8 Stars?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1484229)   #23
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Well V8 Star are fast, but a bit heavy in handling. But I guess if somebody decides to enter a car in a championship, they are allowed to make changes. Maybe loose some weight, a modified ECU.

The V8 Star running in the endurance races at the Nordschleife is almost unbeatable, faster than some .. year old DTMs.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 01:08 (Ref:1484369)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Errrrr..... Audi A8 (who seem to be German), Jaguar XJR8, Lotus, TVR, Fiat (Ferrari), Mercedes Benz (hmmmmm German), Coswoth, Ilmor, all European made.
Lotus, TVR, Ferrari - touringcar racing? - Mhm.
Cosworth, Ilmor - road cars?
I don't see Merc in anything other than its very own DTM. Was there a Merc silhouette in V8STAR? - And for a reason.
How many of the cars in V8STAR originally come/came with V8s?...

Quote:
Mind you, the cheapest V8's come from the US because they build them in their millions.
And why would Audi, who seem to be German, tolerate an Audi-lookalike with an engine that seems to be American. This seems to have been the problem.

The V8STARs in VLN are very competitive but by no means unbeatable. Two second places were the best results of V8STAR cars this year.

The Wood-Scott "Jaguar" runs a Chevy instead of the Rouh of old, no idea if what spec this engine is compared to the Roush; but of course the V8STAR restrictions don't apply (same as with the VLN cars which are "V8STAR-plus"). Chassis-wise a V8STAR should be superior to a T/A car, and lighter as well, but none of them will beat a DTM car. They are prototypes in disguise and imho do not belong on the same grid as TVR Tuscans. But that's for Mr Tucker to deal with.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1484996)   #25
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Was there a Merc silhouette in V8STAR? - And for a reason.
No.
Not allowed by MB.