Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Mar 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1248203)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Touring Car Challenge - Trouble in Paradise?

Seems like everything may no longer be as rosy as first thought behind the scenes of the Touring Car Challenge series.

It has been suggested that a number of drivers/teams are considering withdrawing from the TCC series because of issues with the management of the series itself, as it draws away from its original theme of running cars of historic significance in their original, genuine liveries.

A leading driver and team, who didn't appear at the first round due to the famous 'other commitments' line, is voting with his feet, by staying away from the rounds at the moment.

The primary issues seem to revolve around car eligibility, where cars are being accepted that don't conform to the original concept behind the series i.e. original paint schemes, bodies etc.

I suppose one of the issues at the most recent round, saw an AU Supercar rock up and basically outpace the field with its fresher equipment. Given that an AU is still a homologated model in the V8Lites series, it seems some questions are being asked as to how such a car can be eligible for what was essentially supposed to be a variation on the historic series' theme

The driver in question is said to have a newer car available, also in period livery, he does not intend to race this new car in the series any time soon, apparently at the displeasure of the series management committee, who seem to now be viewing newer cars more favourably than previously, at the expense of the older vehicles.

Other issues to come to light here are regarding the administration of the series... receiving regulations, a calendar of events & basic stuff like entry application forms a matter of a few weeks before an event is unlikely to be considered a professional way to run motor sport. The race secretary's office has apparently come under fire from several competitors, even on race day, with the distribution of results, of grids for races etc etc...

Indeed at the race meetings themselves, until the cars appear on the dummy grid mere minutes before they are scheduled to go out, none of the other teams seems to have any real idea what other cars they are competing against at the race meeting... especially important for the class competitors, to see who it is they should be aiming for...

It is also said that there have been issues with some of the Race Control decisions at recent meetings. A jump start was called for one car from a longstanding team in the series, in one of the races, where the CoC and Starter claimed this vehicle left the line early, while the driver, the car's telemetry/data and various other witnesses not operating as judges of fact, believed this not to be the case at all.

Conspiracy theorists would love to think that the team is being nobbled, but its more likely that there is inconsistency built into the process that needs not to be there...

It is also of concern that there is said to be a legal action floating around this series about work performed/not paid for on a number of cars running late last season. Not good when it comes to this sort of thing, but when cars are operated on a pay-as-you-drive basis, this kind of issue seems to always arise....

I suspect all that can be hoped for is that the promoter makes good a promise apparently made to some competitors, asking key officials to provide written advice of the problems with the series, and the race secretary's office. Whether any action will be taken, is unclear, and it is said that history has shown that similar requests have not shown a dramatic improvement...

This is all very sad stuff... the series as a concept is a sound one, showcasing cars from yesteryear back in race ready form, painted up like the good old days.... time has moved on and it seems that the original direction of the series is being compromised for reasons not immediately apparent.

Lots of things to do... and the laundry list seems to be getting longer....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 10 Mar 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1248344)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's hope it's not dirty laundry.....!

Double Dutch and Triple Irish....GTRMagic - the legend of linguistics!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1248351)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very disapointing as I have become a huge fan of this series. For a concept that has grown so much in a year and so much potential still there, I hope these issues can be sought out quickly.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1248369)   #4
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is sad reading, if in fact the information is correct (and I no reason to doubt it is). It is a real shame when some genuine series contenders come along, only to be buggered up by their own politics.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1248402)   #5
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the same people running this that ran ST? Sounds like some of the things that used to happen way back when. Sad to see as it has thge potential to be a great series and have a good solid following. Lets just hope that some one steps in and takes charge of these things that knows what they are doing. I hope the series grows and the wood ducks stay home.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1248450)   #6
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcha
Are the same people running this that ran ST? Sounds like some of the things that used to happen way back when. Sad to see as it has thge potential to be a great series and have a good solid following. Lets just hope that some one steps in and takes charge of these things that knows what they are doing. I hope the series grows and the wood ducks stay home.
No TOCA isn't running TCC. I believe Garry Willmington set up the idea of the TCC.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1248613)   #7
SamDale
Racer

SamDale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day, I'm a competitor in the Gulf Western Touring Car Challenge. I think it's a great series, and I'd just like to balance GTRMagic's post with a couple of facts that I know from Round 1 of the 2005 series:
  • Round 1 had the most entrants so far since the beginning of the series at the end of '03;
  • Despite the outright pace of Terry Wyhoon's AU Falcon, Adam Proctor, in his Nissan Primera Super Tourer, still managed to take out race 2, and Garry Willmington managed to take victory in race 1 and race 3 in his EL Falcon;
  • A review of the handicapping process should make it fairer and better promulgated for Round 2 and beyond;
  • I don't know the specifics of any legal action, and whilst it is unfortunate if it is taking place, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the series management (or in fact, the series itself);
  • 30 minutes of Gulf Western Touring Car Challenge TV coverage will be shown on Speedweek 3/10 April;
  • There are 7 rounds left in a great calendar, and I'm looking forward to it! As, I assume are the new competitors I believe are planning to join the series...
If anyone has suggestions or ideas for the series, send me a message (either through here, or via the website (www.touringcarchallenge.com) ), and I will be more than happy to pass them on!

I hope that everyone enjoys watching the Touring Car Challenge as much as I enjoy driving in it!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1248898)   #8
White Knight

We can see who fired off the initial onslaught . . . wonder who loaded the gun???

Old 10 Mar 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1248911)   #9
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Please bear with me - the problem is the Wyhoon AU? Is it eligible? Is there a handicapping process? If so, is it being followed? Can this episode include names. I got Wyhoon, Wilmington, who else?

I'd like to see this lot progress not bog down.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1249069)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcha
Are the same people running this that ran ST? Sounds like some of the things that used to happen way back when.
Sorry to take things off topic for a sec, but how are any issues being discussed linked to probs the ASTC had over they years.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1249240)   #11
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember the ST boys complaining about things like these.
Quote:
Other issues to come to light here are regarding the administration of the series... receiving regulations, a calendar of events & basic stuff like entry application forms a matter of a few weeks before an event is unlikely to be considered a professional way to run motor sport.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1249301)   #12
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought the origins of the class were supposed to be Super Tourers, Grp A VN-VS Supercars, EB - EF Supercars and Future Tourers ie cars which in their as raced condition are not eligible for other classes, the Au should not be there, not when its still eligible for another class.

What happens if Terry makes a clean sweep of the races at the next round ?
Nothing against the Wyhoon family about this, after all its not their fault they are allowed to compete.

Last edited by mixxer; 11 Mar 2005 at 10:41.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1250040)   #13
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is scary is that at wakefield park the comentarty said that wyhoons car under performed in Konica Spec, and Now they have been able to develop the car it is perfoming a lot better, does that mean its no longer complices with the konica rules??, my understanding is that the cars must comply with there orignal regs....
Old 12 Mar 2005, 02:17 (Ref:1250044)   #14
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Developing the car doesn't mean it doesn't comply with the original regs anymore. Perhaps now they've saved money not entering the KonicaMinolta series and spent it on updating older parts, going testing, different rbake pads, maybe new shocks or springs....

Last edited by alfacors; 12 Mar 2005 at 02:19.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1250045)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or a 6 litre Chev, like another ex-Supercar currently runs
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Mar 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1250046)   #16
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that 6litre chev engined Supercar running in the TCC? I didn't get much chance to go around the pits the other weekend. Or are you talking about David Krause's sports sedan?
Old 13 Mar 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1250561)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A shame that some negative press is happening in a series that last yera ran so well.

I agree it is an interesting decision to run the AU (and the old Commodore as well), especially considering the series is hardly struggling for grids.

I can't say that i agree with what was mentioned earlier about running all the cars in their original liveries. That is catered for in Historic Group C & A. If you can find some sponsership, whether it be on a Group A, Super Touring, Future Touring car or a V8Supercar for this series, then i reckon you should be able to run in that livery. Especially as cigarette advertising isn't allowed to be shown, which would affect some cars.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 07:15 (Ref:1250608)   #18
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In my post as raced meant mechanical spec only, its still a relatively new series no doubt they will iron it all out.