Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2411442)   #1
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
armchair racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eurosport coverage of the WTCC 2009

As the new BTCC season is a month away i thought id watch the wtcc to get my first fix of the yr , but it was a bit of a chore if im honest ...The reason being the awful commentry team ...they were IMO terrible .. they must have just had a nap and woken up !!! Im struggling to put it into words ... but please Eurosport get some decent commentry that appears to have some enthusiasm in it !!
Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2411461)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Qualifying I find is sometimes hard for commentators - there isn't much action going on that would happen in a race for instance.

I think Martin & John did OK for not having timing information half the time - which again going by my last point is the whole purpose of qualifying.

The main issue I have is the picture break up and graininess that was apparent last night - come on Eurosport get it sorted!
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2411464)   #3
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
I do get your point ...But dont you think that it was all a bit random though ?? not really focusing on any car doing a full lap and comparing speeds etc etc .. Just seemed like 2 blokes chatting in a pub ...to me , even when im watching Footy on the tv , the commentry can make or break the coverage .... murray walker never sounded dull whatever the circumstances...
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2411485)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair racer View Post
not really focusing on any car doing a full lap and comparing speeds etc etc
That sounds like your issue is not with the commentary but with the coverage.

Martin and John have no control over the pictures, they can only commentate on whatever global feed they are provided with. If the director decides not to follow a car for a full lap or misses most of the cars putting in a hot lap then there's not much they do about it.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2411489)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Precisely red, Martin is one of the premier motorsport commentators, hence why he is eomplyed for various championships

The feed is from Brazil, not Eurosport, they will jujst be paying for it

If you remember the old Brazilian F1 races, they used to follow guys for lap after lap and miss evrything!
Old 8 Mar 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2411491)   #6
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
That sounds like your issue is not with the commentary but with the coverage.

Martin and John have no control over the pictures, they can only commentate on whatever global feed they are provided with. If the director decides not to follow a car for a full lap or misses most of the cars putting in a hot lap then there's not much they do about it.
Possibly , will still be watching this afternoon though..
Old 8 Mar 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2411520)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I see the usual levels of Eurosport incompetance are evident once again.

Great, we now have 16X9 images, but oh no! They are being displayed in a squashed ratio.

It could be a Virgin Cable issue perhaps, but I doubt it, every other channel is fine.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2411551)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin & John's banter is fine for me - the TV pictures on the other hand are always terrible for WTCC - they never follow any of the action outside the top 8 in a race, and in qualifying they don't seem to know what to do.

As for Murray making everything sound exciting - yes, he did - but he was also just as excited when everything was boring, which wears thin after a while.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2411559)   #9
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Indeed, just as have been said, Eurosport commentators were not responsible and just as screwed as the rest of us, delayed or completely missing timings and on location TV crew only catching cars on the slowdown lap or in best case right before crossing the finish line. Not exactly optimal conditions for a commentator.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2411566)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you listen to Martin when he is commentating he getst utterly exasperated by the complete lack of professionalism shown by the directors

I am sad to say that people like this are often the ones that ahve more cluse about what is going on in a race than the directors!!

the amount of times I ahve heard him say "No!! please dont show the pits and the wife, the lead is about to change hands!"

Or, "show us the pitstop now, not the local guy touring round!"

Sad to say but often the commentator is the best director aswell!!

Give him the button!!
Old 8 Mar 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2411571)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
the amount of times I ahve heard him say "No!! please dont show the pits and the wife, the lead is about to change hands!"
BTCC is not much better in that respect. I lost count of the number of times we saw Gio and Plato going side by side into a corner and the pictures cut to a shot of Mrs Plato looking shocked.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2411618)   #12
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
After watching the whole weekend , to me the whole package is just wrong ..no excitement at all IMO.. I personally wont be watching it again , as i didnt enjoy it , as i said earlier it was a chore ...Sorry to sound so negative on the disipline some of you follow/enjoy but the BTCC coverage, commentry , circuits , variation of cars etc etc are a far more enjoyable for me ...
Old 8 Mar 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2411661)   #13
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair racer View Post
...Sorry to sound so negative on the discipline some of you follow/enjoy but the BTCC coverage, commentary , circuits , variation of cars etc etc are a far more enjoyable for me ...
You only watched one meeting, how can you complain about the circuits?

I've got to say, the coverage and racing at the first two events is generally very poor, I would recommend you try one of the European races, their generally better covered as the commentators are often at the track (well, they were last year) and the success ballast should hopefully be in place by then, limiting the SEAT's a bit.

Sadly though, TV direction at all the WTCC meetings is at best described as shambolic.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2411693)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
You have to remembr it is only a small seris relatively

I can imagine that DTM and many otehr series pay far more and will hunt the best talent.

DTM is my opinion is a far worse series, have seen very few really exciting races in many yeras

WTCC has contact, but bad team orders etc

BTCC has great racing, but boring tracks by comparison, and Plato! Who is a wrecker!
Old 9 Mar 2009, 06:44 (Ref:2411859)   #15
armchair racer
Racer

England
Suburbia
i would totally disagree with the point about the boring circuits ..The BTCC imo are far from boring compared with narrow street circuits of WTCC where it is difficult to pass and turns into a procession ..
Old 9 Mar 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2412015)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Of course, the main problem with the WTCC on TV is the godawful theme music.

You wanna go Farstah! FARSTAH!
Old 9 Mar 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2412400)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another problem is that it is the WTCC.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2412406)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Of course, the main problem with the WTCC on TV is the godawful theme music.

You wanna go Farstah! FARSTAH!

That is probably the tackiest thing on any motorsport TV coverage.

It makes me cringe more than the good old days of James Allen on ITV..
Old 9 Mar 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2412463)   #19
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Another problem is that it is the WTCC.
Err... isn't that the point of it being WTCC TV coverage?
Old 9 Mar 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2412472)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, and it gets the coverage it so richly deserves.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2412475)   #21
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stiggy confused now!!

[what do you mean, "wasn't hard"]
Old 10 Mar 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2412848)   #22
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Yep, and it gets the coverage it so richly deserves.
At least some non fake one 4-wheel racing gets free tv coverage. Especially these days where most of 4-wheel racing is hidden at some pay-tv channels.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2412935)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Except, on satelite at least, it's not free...
Old 10 Mar 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2413147)   #24
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just grateful I get to see it. It's always on at the times it is stated ! Which for Eurosport is something they don't normally do !

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 10 Mar 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2413175)   #25
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Except, on satelite at least, it's not free...
Over here it is. Some people get out their old analogue sat-boxes, pointing their dishes to Astra 19.2 east satelite and turning on German Eurosport.
Trick there is turning the audio channel down from the common 702 kHz to 695 KHz (or was it ghz?) and you have english/international comentary too.

Eurosport will stay analogue free to air on 19.2° east until mid 2010 at least but there are already talks to lengthen contract. It may be worth a try.