Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jan 2004, 21:44 (Ref:855688)   #1
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button and wiliams f1

In my view Jenson DESERVES a chance with B.M.W. IN 05 but will he get it and if its a possibility wil B.A.R. release him.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 21:50 (Ref:855696)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to today's Autosport (page 7). No.

Quote:
David Richards
Jenson is certainly not for sale.

Last edited by Adam43; 29 Jan 2004 at 21:53.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 23:39 (Ref:855769)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give him a break nippy!

He just got the #1 seat at BAR, and him and the car appear to be doing very well so far. He maybe able to do for BAR, what JV couldn't do, in all those years.

I got high-hopes for the boy and BAR!

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Jan 2004, 04:44 (Ref:855967)   #4
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, agreed GP Racer, Button has had his stint at Williams, and he will move BAR into great success if he's good enough.

As for the 05 Williams seat?

Da Matta and Coulthard with Ralf going to Toyota!!!
Old 30 Jan 2004, 05:37 (Ref:855979)   #5
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85

No way...Toyota wants someone the Yanks know and CdM looked like he was going to make it towards the end of last season. He'll be staying.

AND, if CdM has a good year and continues to improve, Toyota might decide to leave him as No.1 and go with a junior like Briscoe for 05 and leave Ralf to either back down on the $ or end up like JV.

Williams may well go for DC as their "experienced" driver ( a mistake IMO) and (try to) get a young gun like Alonso, Button, Webber or even Heidfeld. But I think Frank is more likely to go for a "safe" option in Marc Gene who knows the cars and will do a competent job - at least as good as DC could do, probably better.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 07:09 (Ref:856020)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
button should stay at honda - they have to come good eventually dont they
Old 30 Jan 2004, 07:40 (Ref:856029)   #7
deeks6
Veteran

The times at Catalunya suggest that the thing is not hopeless...it even looks OK. Bunson could be a bit of a surprise packet...in any case, nowhere near time to write the boy or the team off.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:21 (Ref:856118)   #8
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'd like to see how he does at BAR first.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:29 (Ref:856127)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Skam85

No way will Coulthard be going back to Williams, he's Jaguar bound to replace Webber who will be going in the opposite direction. As for CdM, i honestly can't envisage him in anyother seat than a Toyota, this will change of course, but i doubt it will be to Williams.

Webber and Button for Williams in 05 imo.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:46 (Ref:856226)   #10
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Webber and Button at Williams would be a fantastically strong driver line up, one to challenge McLaren with Kimmi and Monty.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:48 (Ref:856228)   #11
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO if Jenson wants to go to Williams in 2005, this year's BAR will need to be very quick but unreliable - no doubt there will be a performance clause that will keep Jenson at BAR if all goes well, so if he can show his speed but not actually finish many races due to unreliability he will keep his profile high and be able to get out of BAR.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 11:23 (Ref:856246)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
da Matta would be a bit of a leftfield choice, evne by Frank's standards. Although he looked good in his rookie season, he doesn't have the red-hot potential of Button or Webber, or the marketing kudos of Rosberg or Nelsinho. Besides, Toyota won't be tempted by a cash offer because their budget is unlimited, he will ensure that they don't go into 2005 with 2 new drivers, and he has familiarity in the all-important American market.

As for the topic at hand, Dave is unlikely to give his star man up without a fight, and Frank is notoriously unwilling to spend a big sum on hiring or keeping drivers, making it seem unlikely.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:37 (Ref:856306)   #13
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Webber and Button at Williams but DC to Jag.Jag haven't got the budget to pay him.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 30 Jan 2004 at 12:39.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:01 (Ref:856342)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think JV will be the experienced type of driver, if any, that gets any short term deal offered. Not DC.

Webber only if doesn't replace Trulli. I think Trulli will have good year if new Ren any good and then may well transfer to Williams anyway.

Longer shots. Scott Dixon - particulalrly if he gets some more road race experience again now that IRL wants to do circuits as well as ovals. Toyota may fancy him to replace Panis too. Either way he'll be pretty cheap for someone who is undoubtedly a coming man.

Just don't go along with the consensus that Button is that much in demand by Williams or any other team. Only way i see him leaving BAR is if he stuns the planet this year and wins races, therefore considerably boosting his stock.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:06 (Ref:856347)   #15
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
I agree Webber and Button at Williams but DC to Jag.Jag haven't got the budget to pay him.

The Grumpy1
In 2005, I'll have the budget for DC!

He'll take what they offer (IF they offer) or try to be a pay driver...or have a sabbatical in Champ Car.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 13:35 (Ref:856389)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Agree with deeks, providing he wants to stay in F1, i think he'll take whats on offer.

Last edited by Mr V; 30 Jan 2004 at 13:36.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 16:16 (Ref:856551)   #17
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm, remember button was sh*t on by williams when they pushed him off to Flav's crew. If the BAR is any good would he really want to move?? He's got the no1 spot at BAR and unless they dont deliver he wont be moving. I wish he would move back to williams, but unless they offer him serious cash and his BAR is pants, I dont think he will.

I dont think the rumours on the board about CdM are anything to consider seriously, there are better and cheaper drivers in F1 already.

If DC has to pay for a drive, which I dont think he will need to, he could afford to pay whatever was needed, but why bother, I'd take some time off and enjoy the cash.

If Ove-A at Toyota didnt have the say in driver line up, DC would be there in 2005, but it looks like it could be 'sick boy' ralf.

Im still not ruling out a pre season change at some of the top teams yet...... lets wait and see.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 18:02 (Ref:856687)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by ActiveMS
Hmmmm, remember button was sh*t on by williams when they pushed him off to Flav's crew.
Jenson was under no illusions, he knew that JPM would be coming over in 2001, after all, Williams tried recalling him for 2000, but Ganassi wouldn't allow it due to the contract.

What was Jenson meant to say? "Sorry Frank, you'll dump me in a year, so i'll turn down your offer of a drive".... not on your life!

So, we come to...

Quote:
Originally posted by ActiveMS

If the BAR is any good would he really want to move??

No matter how good the BAR gets in 2005, the Williams will be better and give Jenson a better chance to win. If the offer of a drive at Williams comes, he be out of BAR like a rat out of an aquaduct, and i, for one, wouldn't blame him!

Last edited by Mr V; 30 Jan 2004 at 18:03.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 18:30 (Ref:856727)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button will be staying at BAR Honda to reap some measure of success. The team and car are on the way up and they won't be so excerebale as top allow him out under a performance clause.

Webber is staying at Jaguar to fill out the third year of his contract. Williams have a demonstrated history of valuing the car over the driver and won't pay Flavio Flave what it will take to pry him from the Jaguar seat.

Trulli will have a good season, get that first win and renew at Renault for 2005.
, (as will St. Fernando.)

Ralfie is going to TOYOTA, as they have money to burn and Weber won't let him sign at Williams for less than he is making now. He will be paired with Da Matta who will renew. Panis will retire.

DC will join Webber at Jaguar as Klein will be the next failure in the #2 seat at Stewart/Jaguar.

Williamd in 2005 will pair Heidfeld, (German, young and technically strong) with JV-(experience and fire.)
Old 30 Jan 2004, 18:40 (Ref:856746)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Your predictions were going so well, until we reached this point....

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

Williamd in 2005 will pair Heidfeld, (German, young and technically strong) with JV-(experience and fire.)

Old 30 Jan 2004, 18:58 (Ref:856768)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr V, its that Heidfeld fan in me that made me say it....

I couldn't care less about that other guy.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 22:01 (Ref:856931)   #22
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson will have an interesting year, but as long as the new car is half decent he will be unlikely to give up his No1 spot in the team. If the car is a truly good piece of machinery that allows him to demonstrate some speed other teams may become interested. Lgically, Renault and Williams will be the only teams he can move "up" to in 05.

I don't believe Flav would let Alonso go unless Ferrari come with some big bucks. Trulli is another question. We all know he is very quick, but I still reckon he is yet to demonstrate that consistantly over a race distance - this year he may...

Williams may have an opening for two drivers in 05. Montoya is a done deal. Ralf may elect to stay if he really thinks he can win the championship - i.e. give it a real shake this year. As much as Monty belives he will get a fair deal (support wise) I still think when push comes to shove Ralf will be favoured and get better team backing if he stays.

I think Webber will stay at Jaguar in 05, particularly if DC heads that way - Flav will make that choice for him - if MW can see off DC then Flav knows Webber is worthy of Renault (then again if MW has a good year at Jag he may replace Trulli earlier for 05).

Williams may take Button, it just depends on money. Frank may go with Gene or Pizzonia - they will be cheaper.

Whoops..... my crystal ball just fell off the table, so I'll have to wait until silly season...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 01:41 (Ref:857101)   #23
deeks6
Veteran

Quote:
Button will be staying at BAR Honda to reap some measure of success. The team and car are on the way up and they won't be so excerebale as top allow him out under a performance clause.

Mebbe

Webber is staying at Jaguar to fill out the third year of his contract. Williams have a demonstrated history of valuing the car over the driver and won't pay Flavio Flave what it will take to pry him from the Jaguar seat.

Doubt it but mebbe

Trulli will have a good season, get that first win and renew at Renault for 2005.
, (as will St. Fernando.)

Doubt about Trulli but mebbe

Ralfie is going to TOYOTA, as they have money to burn and Weber won't let him sign at Williams for less than he is making now. He will be paired with Da Matta who will renew. Panis will retire.

Mebbe as well

DC will join Webber at Jaguar as Klein will be the next failure in the #2 seat at Stewart/Jaguar.

Probably, certainly a mebbe

YIIIIII ! ! ! !
Old 31 Jan 2004, 06:12 (Ref:857221)   #24
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button-Williams 2005. Don't know who else Williams wil have but anyway...
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:47 (Ref:857524)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Williams in 2005 will pair Heidfeld, (German, young and technically strong) with JV-(experience and fire.)
That would be soooo nice!