Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Sep 2002, 13:36 (Ref:388041)   #1
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many drivers can you think of that deserve coulthards seat?

In no perfect order('cause i can't even remember all the drivers in todays 'formula none')

FISICHELLA
VILLENEUVE
Panis
Massa
Hiedfeld
LOTS of other drivers in other series
My sister
The average poodle (desexed)

Last edited by RWC; 25 Sep 2002 at 13:43.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 13:42 (Ref:388046)   #2
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots. Honestly, like you I reckon most people! but the ones that would make particularly good use of the opportunity:
Fisi
JV
Webber
Davidson
Massa
Alonso
Button
Sato
Da Matta
Old 25 Sep 2002, 14:00 (Ref:388062)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villeneuve, Fisichella, Webber, Alonso, Davidson....
Old 25 Sep 2002, 14:15 (Ref:388068)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heidfeld

He SHOULD already be in the bloody thing!!!!
Old 25 Sep 2002, 14:38 (Ref:388081)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion (and I highlight my) Noone.

David ensures a well-needed continuity within the team. Perhaps there are lots of other guys, more talented than he is. (but give me names of some rookies, not Trulli or Fisichella) But it would be a big mistake for Ron to hire 2 inexperienced (both in driving and working with the rest of the team) teenagers, unless he settles for a 5 years reconstruction plan, like in the mid-ninethies.

Besides, Kimi is good, but still young. And I see his future with Ferrari, not McLaren...
Old 25 Sep 2002, 14:57 (Ref:388089)   #6
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to agree with Red here... I'm not so sure there is anyone that really DESERVES that seat more than DC (and I'm not the biggest DC fan, by far ) Most of the suggestions have been drivers with a record nowhere near DC's...many appear to have more potential, but that is no gaurantee that says they are going to do as well or better...

The McLaren boys are pretty sharp, if they figure someone who is available would be better than Coulthard, they would certainly have him in the car...
Old 25 Sep 2002, 15:20 (Ref:388109)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Is this "Slag off DC week"? Did no on tell me?

Last time I looked at the championship points table DC had scored almost double his very highly rated team mates total.

I can hear the "but but but's" already...
He is a decent driver.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 15:25 (Ref:388120)   #8
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a great driver. And certainly more of an asset to a team than Eddie bloody Irvine - OK, he has been quite inconsistent in the past, but this year his race performances have been nothing short of remarkable. If Mercedes get their act together, I should hope to see a sustained championship challenge from both McLaren boys - particularly DC...
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:08 (Ref:388149)   #9
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC is good, drives esthetically quite beautiful, has some great overtaking inspiration up his sleeve so now and then. What DC lacks is outright speed, that extra half second which the quick drivers always seem to find somewhere where DC ain't looking. So does he disqualify himself with that for a McLaren seat, given the something-close-to-a-decade he has spend with the team? Yes, Mr. Dennis, it does. Period. It disqualifies all the development and continuity arguments you seem to convince yourself with.

Who? Easy. Fisichella firstly. Trulli secondly. Frentzen thirdly. So much for proven quickies. Newbees? Get Pizzonia. Don't forget to arrange some mental support for Raikkonnen when you do.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:21 (Ref:388158)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Look guys, I'm not at all the biggest David fan! But to compare him with Frenzen Fissi or Trulli!!! C'mon! This is too much! As for "never in the wolves's den" Pizzonia or the likes.... McLaren, Williams and Ferrari are NOT kindergardens! They should seek experience somewhere else before charging for glory in a big team, be them talented or not! (ahem, apparently Frank doesn't agree with me...)
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:26 (Ref:388165)   #11
Total-F1
Veteran

If I was running McLaren I'd wait a year or two, give DC his gold Rolex and shift Wurz into the number 2 car to give Raikkonen a rear gunner.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:39 (Ref:388184)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can think of quite a few drivers that deserve to be in that Mclaren ...but i wouldnt put Trulli , Frentzen etc in there....Fisi deserves it more tha most ..speed , maturity ...and he would be well up for a good battle with kimi
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:42 (Ref:388187)   #13
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sato would do quite nicely as well.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:49 (Ref:388193)   #14
Total-F1
Veteran

I don't think Fisichella is champ material. He shows the strength against weak team mates when he needs to, but there's something missing there...
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:50 (Ref:388197)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that I question DC's ability, but F1 is a team sport and sometimes a team needs a fresh face to rally behind. DC I'm afraid will forever be the bridesmaid and not the bride.
This year was his golden opportunity to assert himself, at least within the team, and he has failed to do it.
I like the idea of Wurz moving up to the race seat, as I am still of the opinion that he was shafted at Benneton. Heidfeld is another good choice I think. Both drivers are still young and aggressive and are technically adept which helps in car development.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Sep 2002, 16:57 (Ref:388203)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
I like Wurz too, but I'm afraid he will never race a F1 car again. Unfortunately for him, he is too tall...
Old 25 Sep 2002, 17:00 (Ref:388204)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'd call Ralf, Wurz, Sato and Button weak team amtes would you Total? Giancarlo has wiped the floor with all of those, ruined Wurz's career and probably Sato's as well. With a top drive he could challenge anyone, the killer instinct has always been there despite several disappointments.

He's definately better than DC, much faster and less prone to stupid mistakes, and not likely to be outpaced by Hakkinen in successive years, despite telling us that it'd be his year every February.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 18:04 (Ref:388240)   #18
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looking at results, only two:
Michael Schumacher (194%) and David Coulthard (100%).

Hakkinen (94%) comes very close.
And perhaps Ralf (81%) and Montoya (60%).
Old 25 Sep 2002, 18:46 (Ref:388280)   #19
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques or Fisi
Old 25 Sep 2002, 18:56 (Ref:388286)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think DC is a lot better than he is given credit for. I think Dino sums it up well, though. The only person I'd consider would be Fisichella. I might have thought Heidfeld a year ago, but he hasn't been all that impressive against Massa. I've also been pushing for HHF at McLaren for ages; I thinke he'd be an excellent fit, but compared to DC I think its a wash.

Coulthard lacked Hakkinen's speed, but he's not that far behind, and with the full support of the team AND a decent car, I think he could still be a force.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 18:59 (Ref:388287)   #21
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not Villeneuve, he's had his chance in a top team. Heidfeld and Fisichella get my vote.

Also I'd like to see Jenson in a McLaren at some point in his career.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 19:10 (Ref:388299)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1
I don't think Fisichella is champ material. He shows the strength against weak team mates when he needs to,
Weak team mates ...are you serious ?.....you cant call Taku weak , he nearly had a punch up with Ron Dennis at the last race !
Old 25 Sep 2002, 21:24 (Ref:388408)   #23
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yoong Montoya is never out of questions so here is one for his next thread...

How many drivers can you think of that deserve Ralfie's seat?

I do think that DC is better than Ralf.

Last edited by freud; 25 Sep 2002 at 21:25.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 21:38 (Ref:388428)   #24
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
Not Villeneuve, he's had his chance in a top team. Heidfeld and Fisichella get my vote.

I don't feel that having driven for a top team should automatically disqualify you from a drive in another. If you are one of the best drivers, it shouldn't matter. Should I assume then that you would never allow JPM in a Ferrari?

IMHO, saying DC is better than Ralf, is like saying that Salo is better than Panis!! And I mean that in the best possible way!!
Old 25 Sep 2002, 21:49 (Ref:388440)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: How many drivers can you think of that deserve coulthards seat?

Hang on - to make a proper count, I have to take off my shoes and socks first.

Valve