Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2002, 22:55 (Ref:336114)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not give the McLaren test seat to Nick Heidfeld?

This may be a stupid idea, but if Heidfeld became McLaren's test driver, he could take over from Coulthard in 2004.

What do you think?
Old 17 Jul 2002, 23:02 (Ref:336121)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe... I think he should be racing.. but Wurz and Gené should be racing too in good teams...

Maybe it could work, but you never know
Old 18 Jul 2002, 00:26 (Ref:336157)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hell no. It would do nothing for his career and he would fade further into obscurity. He needs to keep racing.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 01:09 (Ref:336170)   #4
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree totally with f1manoz, it's like being rated as a second rate driver if he ever accepts that kind of offer. Heidfeld's time will come to be in either one of the top 3 teams, good things will eventually come to guys like him who is patient.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 02:11 (Ref:336191)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those not directly involved with F1, test drivers might as well have fallen off the face of the planet. Nick'd be better off in a Minardi than testing!
Old 18 Jul 2002, 04:34 (Ref:336219)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: Why not give the McLaren test seat to Nick Heidfeld?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
This may be a stupid idea, but if Heidfeld became McLaren's test driver, he could take over from Coulthard in 2004.

What do you think?
Don't be ridigilis

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]

Just kidding [img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bonce.gif[/img]
Old 18 Jul 2002, 07:38 (Ref:336259)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Becoming a test driver is about the WORST thing Heidfeld could do other than sign for Phoenix. Basically, he'd fade into obscurity and never be seen again, as Luca Badoer and Luciano Burti have recently demonstrated....
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:06 (Ref:336277)   #8
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should replace Kimi before he is demoted to test driver. Heidfeld is underrated in my opinion.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:48 (Ref:336304)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*BD has been added to f1manoz's best friends list*

Don't be alarmed! I do this with everyone who acknowledges support for Nick.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 10:03 (Ref:336360)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Let's look at the list of test drivers who could actually do quite well in one of the top 4 teams: Alex Wurz, Mark Gene, Luciano Burti, Luca Badoer, just to name a few. All of these guys belong in F1 racing, not testing. So why on earth would anyone even contemplate that Nick should go in that direction? That's like sending the guy to the F1 graveyard.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 18 Jul 2002 at 10:07.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:13 (Ref:336397)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld is highly regarded at the moment so he should get off his butt and go over to both Toyota and Jaguar and offer them his services. A works team is where he should be and if McLaren feel threatened you can be sure they will jump into the fray. It may be an immediate step back but the potential for greater things is there. Testing and Racing and Developing a car and team around himself is what Heidfeld should be attempting to do. Not testing a car for someone else to win with.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:19 (Ref:336407)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Heidfeld wouldn't be stupid enough to sign any contract given to him that says he will have to be test driver. However, the Toyota seat, at the moment, is seeming to be less of an option as each day passes and Jaguar have never really entered the fray.

His options are either a Sauber race-seat or a McLaren race-seat.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:32 (Ref:336418)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
However, the Toyota seat, at the moment, is seeming to be less of an option as each day passes and Jaguar have never really entered the fray.

His options are either a Sauber race-seat or a McLaren race-seat.
Heidfeld and Raikkonnen together again at McLaren would be ideal but I just don't see Coulthard leaving just yet, and Sauber will always be midfield as long as they keep using last years Ferrari engine.
I think Toyota is always an option until somebody puts their name on a contract, as for Jaguar there's no reason why Heidfeld should wait for his ship to come in. Put on your trunks and swim out there boy.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:49 (Ref:336433)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Main problem, though, is that McLaren still basically 'own' him so may have the final say in where he ends up, which is why he's been stuck at Sauber. I don't think McLaren would be happy to see him at Toyota and Jaguar just in case they end up wanting/requiring his services.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 16:37 (Ref:336635)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not convinced that McLaren have any interest in him now, after the choice of Kimi ahead of him. Did Ron ever make any opinion on Nick public? I know the long term support was from Mercedes. I think Ron is happy with Kimi (he has no real reason not to be), feels that DC is the best team leader on offer now that Mika seems to be gone forever, and will want McNish as lead tester if Wurz moves on.

Nick should consider Toyota if he gets an offer, as although it probably won't match Sauber in 2003, it will in the long term. Sauber have no topline design staff left (rememebr that this year's car is much the same at last year's effort, which is a Rinland car), while Toyota have Gustav Brunner to lead the design team.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 16:43 (Ref:336640)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Mark Gene

Sorry Valve, but I had to correct you as a defensor of Catalan language... it is Marc with c