Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2165223)   #1
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is going on with Martin Brundle?

Hi Fellow Enthusiasts;

I don't know whether anyone else has picked up on this, but Martin seems to be less opinionated this season, as well as having a slightly lower profile in the 2008 commentary team.

I personally think that, next to James Hunt, he has been one of the great F1 commentators, owing to his experience in the cars, as well as in other levels of motorsport, and his ability to play motorsport politics.
Anyone one who can deal with Walkinshaw and come out on top deserves respect in my books!

The cynic in me suspects that Uncle Bernie didn't appreciate his James Hunt type of opinions last season, and may have (alledgedly), threatened to withdrawl his F1 pit-pass if he didn't tone down his comments regarding how
F1 is run etc etc.

Whilst I am sure Louise Goodman is a lovely lady, Martin Brundle is much better at doing the pit walk-about.
I also noticed that he seems to be doing much less of the commentary than
James Allen.

So come on ITV, let Martin carry on at the same level etc as 2007, not the subdued MB we seem to have at the minute.

PS: I saw the Malaysian GP on Spanish TV and then the ITV version I had recorded, when I got back to the UK. The former was Alonso, Alonso, Alonso, in fact I thought Alonso had won it at one point. The ITV coverage was very good and made me appreciate it's lack of bias and fairness to all the drivers.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2165226)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem is if he says anything even slightly controversial he will be pursued in the courts by the FIA.

To be honest I see no difference. He may not be giving outrageous opinions but so what? That is not essential. He is still doing a good job, the only thing is I notice he makes more mistakes than he used to but hey-ho.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2165228)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps he just hasn't had anything contriversial he has needed to say. He's not Eddie Irvine. Only says something when it is worth saying.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2165229)   #4
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
It will be a great shame if PC affects F1 the way it has everyday life !
I take Knowlesy's point, I agree; MB does do a good job, and that is what helps make it worth watching, i.e. his informed opinion.

Anyone else got a take on this??
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2165232)   #5
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The ITV coverage was very good and made me appreciate it's lack of bias and fairness to all the drivers."

Is that supposed to be a joke?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2165233)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hadn't noticed any difference, personally......
Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2165235)   #7
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
"The ITV coverage was very good and made me appreciate it's lack of bias and fairness to all the drivers."

Compared to Spanish TV, YES!!!!

Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2165244)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is Spanish TV even more of a Lewis show?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2165304)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I hadn't noticed any great difference in Brundle's style of commentary - I think he did a good job last year and continues to do a good job this year. I wouldn't like to hear him being controversial just for the sake of it.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 30 Mar 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2165320)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out Farr
Compared to Spanish TV, YES!!!!

I'm sure that the Spanish commentary is very 'even handed' and in no way makes out Alonso to be the "God" that he undoubtedly is.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2165344)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What with traction control gone, and some engines not fully adapted to them, driver errors are more likely and more excusable this year, so there's less need to criticise the drivers at this stage.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2165352)   #12
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought the "ambition overtook adhesion" comment on Massa's spin was classic Brundle.

I'm not sure he has much reason to worry about any legal action - he has no need to discuss F1 politics in the commentary box (and rarely ever has done).
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2165465)   #13
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I concur. Brundle's commentary has been good so far this season. I, like Knowlesy, think he's made more mistakes in the past couple of seasons than he used to - but it's not like he's at James Allen's level so I'm not worried. And Steve Parrish got a wrong name in the Moto GP race (de Angelis instead of Nakano) earlier today, so it's not like he'd be the first person to make an error on live television. Take Janet Jackson as another example. At least Martin hasn't exposed himself to us all...
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2165500)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps MB is playing down his role with ITV so they wont be so upset when he jumps ship to the BBC next year.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2165638)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Welcome! to Ten-Tenths "Flat Out Farr"..
Old 31 Mar 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2166222)   #16
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Perhaps he just hasn't had anything contriversial he has needed to say. He's not Eddie Irvine. Only says something when it is worth saying.
Oh, we should have him. That sure would spice things up. BBC, are you reading this?
Old 31 Mar 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2166310)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, but I think a few lawyers from some teams would want to do things that Max enjoys to the BBC ...
Old 31 Mar 2008, 17:34 (Ref:2166311)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I dont understand why viewers choose to chastise commentators for making the odd mistake. Its motorsport, a fast paced, action packed (or supposed to be) sport, commentators are required to be quick thinkers and talkers, mistakes will happen, they are only human. I never understood the mini-witch hunt against Murray Walker for the same reason, they are human, humans make mistakes.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2166314)   #19
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
I dont understand why viewers choose to chastise commentators for making the odd mistake. Its motorsport, a fast paced, action packed (or supposed to be) sport, commentators are required to be quick thinkers and talkers, mistakes will happen, they are only human. I never understood the mini-witch hunt against Murray Walker for the same reason, they are human, humans make mistakes.
And in the case of Murray, usually quite funny as well.

Mick
Old 31 Mar 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2166383)   #20
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the other question is, will Martin and his colleges be able to keep straight faces at the next GP after the "Recent Revelations", detailed on another thread
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2166424)   #21
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will anybody keep a straight face?
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2166451)   #22
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Before FOM removed it, there was an excellent video on YouTube which compared ITV's commentary of Robert Kubica's Montréal crash with an American broadcaster's commentary. From the moment the live pictures came onto the screen until shortly after the car had come to rest, Martin Brundle had told us the corner, the car, the driver, the probable speed of impact, as well as a point or two about the visible damage to the car and the fact that a safety car would be required. By comparison, in the same space of time, the American had managed to tell his viewers which team the car belonged to - nothing more. Well, except for some "woah" and "aw jeez" remarks. Brundle is an exceptionally good 'co-commentator'/analyst, and I will be genuinely disappointed if he doesn't remain in the commentary box for BBC next year.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 01:38 (Ref:2166618)   #23
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89

Dito.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 01:57 (Ref:2166622)   #24
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst his commentary is still top notch, does anyone else feel that his gridwalks aren't quite what they used to be? No one of any consequence ever really wants to chat to him anymore and I do recall talking with someone in the chat room during the Aussie GP who were watching Speed who got a whole host of drivers whilst we got Dannii Minogue...
Old 1 Apr 2008, 02:09 (Ref:2166626)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
does anyone else feel that his gridwalks aren't quite what they used to be?
I'd imagine that Martin has got bored of asking the same drivers the same questions. Lewis and Kimi have both refused to speak whilst on the grid, Michael had an exclusive contract with a German TV station when he was driving, just to name but a few. Problem is, he only has a certain amount of time on the grid, and he can either be at the front or the back of the grid, and usually the same drivers are at the front/back.