Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Apr 2003, 15:00 (Ref:556033)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best shunt...

What is the best Sports car shunt you remember- of course its only good if the driver got away OK- I've had briliant ones in Formula ford and skip barber- In saloons a good datsun 510 spin and hop over a kerb at buttonwillow california, and my ultra brave drift by steering through the kink at road America, and then spinning down the staright in the wet- or was that Indy Raceway PArk...
But as pros go- I am split between Millen's Nissan spin and flip, and the CLK GtR's at Lemans during Praccy.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 15:24 (Ref:556057)   #2
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon Win Percy's at Le Mans in 1987 was pretty awful. I think that he got out alright - strong those Group C Jags.

The worst accident I saw live was at Brands in a historic touring car/sportscar race when a Mustang spun and was hit by a Marcos. The Marcos shattered and, was completely destroyed behind the driver, but he got out. The Mustang drove away...

The Schlesser accident at Brands when he was taken off by a backmarker was quite a hit, though I remember it mainly for Baldi's (closely following in the sister Sauber) amazing avoidance-spin. Perhaps one of the greatest avoidances in Sportscars!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 15:24 (Ref:556059)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Difficult to beat Dumbrecks at Le Mans or even Palmer's at LM in 1990 or Percy's in the same place in 1987.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 15:47 (Ref:556095)   #4
powermite
Rookie

powermite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont forget Yannik Dalmas at the Petit LM a couple of years ago,quite similar to Dumbreck but not as high.
PM
Old 2 Apr 2003, 16:24 (Ref:556142)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by krt917
The worst accident I saw live was at Brands in a historic touring car/sportscar race when a Mustang spun and was hit by a Marcos. The Marcos shattered and, was completely destroyed behind the driver, but he got out. The Mustang drove away...

I've seen a couple of those, was it at the bottom of Paddock? Or at the pit entry? I remember one where a Mustang hit another car, spun across the front of it, and smashed into the guard rail on the inside of druids, and the other car spun into the gravel at the bottom of Paddock
Old 2 Apr 2003, 16:27 (Ref:556145)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually, i remeber one where a car spun at the top of Paddock and flipped over when it struck the barriers, and slid downhill on it's side, and came to a rest at the bottom of the hill, on it's wheels.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 16:27 (Ref:556146)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1986 Doc Bundy/Lynn St. James wreck at Riverside is the wildest I've seen, just barely edging the flying Mercedes.

Some crash photos here:
http://www.royhooper.com/gtpcrashdonated.htm
http://www.royhooper.com/gtpcrash.htm

The photos don't really show the violence of that Probe flying through the air, crashing through the top of the pit wall, and then the immediatly ensuing fire. Amazing everyone walked away!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 2 Apr 2003 at 16:33.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 17:02 (Ref:556165)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What was that one at Brands in one of the 1000kms towards the end of the Group C era - involved Jochen Mass's (?) Sauber and a C2 - I know I've got it on tape somewhere.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 17:43 (Ref:556221)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
That riverside one is a horrendous crash, it's basically exploded!
Old 3 Apr 2003, 04:23 (Ref:556770)   #10
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mercedes Crashes at Le Mans are still the sole most incredibel thing I think I have seen
Old 3 Apr 2003, 05:39 (Ref:556794)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Pescarolo in 1967 : but he was not quite safe (burn and staying on a bed for long months)... and the worst is, indeed, 1955, but really not fun...

Last edited by Fab; 3 Apr 2003 at 05:40.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 06:42 (Ref:556828)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The Drama of the Peter Dumbrecks crash unfold at LeMans was incredible, especially the way Mercedes immediately pulled the other car in and shut the pit doors - The LeMans way of saying your race is done - You just knew you had seen the last of Mercedes in sports car racing for years to come. Its a shame that the team were not bold enough to withdraw after the practice accident, as if they had Mercedes might still be racing in sportscars today.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 07:05 (Ref:556856)   #13
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drumbrecks at Le Mans for sure. Second would be Stan Fox at Indy in 95. Speaking of Skip Barber, 3rd would be Tim Goetze at Laguna Seca, he flipped over Jon Fogarty in T2, the car rolled several times, then he was thrown out of the car! Craziest sh*t I've ever seen. He survived to race another day. I was one of the first ones to get to him after he flew out of the car.....My best shunt was in a Skipy race at Sears Point. I put a wheel off on a wet grass and cleared the tires going into turn 6 (down-hill section). If I were driving a faster car, I'm sure I would have ended up in a small lake....

Last edited by Fiorentina 1; 3 Apr 2003 at 07:06.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 07:08 (Ref:556859)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I well remember the drama of Dumbreck's accident. We had actually left the circuit to go and eat. Several of us were seated in a restaurant waiting for the second car-load to join us. They arrived but sat in the car park for a few minutes. They then came in and said a Merc had flown off the circuit. At that time we had no idea as to the result as far as the driver was concerned. Naturally we feared the worst. Thankfully, Dumbreck was almost entirely uninjured. A very lucky boy.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 08:03 (Ref:556918)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Now that would really annoy me, to not even be at the circuit when that happened.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 09:09 (Ref:556965)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we were eating a picnic in car park vert, but you could see one of the diamond screens at the ford chicane quite clearly. when dumbreck flipped we wondered why they were showing the webber incident again...then realised this was an entirely new crash.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 09:16 (Ref:556971)   #17
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GTs last year, a Porshe spun and was sitting in the middle of the track, tried to drive off the side to get out of the way and was hit by a Saleen, one hell of a crash.
There was also an accident in the same season where it rained heavily and all the cars were sliding off hitting each other. Damn, why cant i remeber where these races were.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 09:19 (Ref:556974)   #18
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Porsche-Saleen one was at Croft.
Other one I don't remember, but Knockhill 2001 was very similar
Old 3 Apr 2003, 09:42 (Ref:556992)   #19
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There was also an accident in the same season where it rained heavily and all the cars were sliding off hitting each other. Damn, why cant i remeber where these races were.
That was at Oulton Park last year, there are some picture's somewhere of the aftermath.

The best(worst) shunt I saw (besides the Merc) was a touring car at Donington Park, when Keith Odor driving his Nissan Primera down the Craner Curves got shunted from behind. He then left the track to the left before the old hairpin, dug into the gravel trap, then rolled several times across the top of the gravel before either digging into the gravel again or hitting the tyre barrier which made the car bounce whilst spinning and completly clear the 12-15 foot catch fencing, before coming to rest on its roof on a little road on the spectator side of the safety fence.

No spectator was injured at all, and Keith got out of this one and walked away a bit brused.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 10:24 (Ref:557029)   #20
Rcutler
Rookie

Rcutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I it has to be the famous Mercedes CLK LM flip on the mulsanne! Everyone must remember that especially as it ended up on it's wheels and the driver walked away.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 10:26 (Ref:557032)   #21
Rcutler
Rookie

OK so the last post I made wasn't a shunt but a cracker anyway.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 11:03 (Ref:557054)   #22
Rcutler
Rookie

On the accidents front there is another good sportscar website showing the results of private crashes of fast cars only. It is at http://www.wreckedexotics.com.

Enjoy :-)
Old 3 Apr 2003, 11:39 (Ref:557102)   #23
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Rcutler
I it has to be the famous Mercedes CLK LM flip on the mulsanne! Everyone must remember that especially as it ended up on it's wheels and the driver walked away.
we were talking about this in the F1 forum (slight sidetrack from the original topic) the cars flipped 3 times, twice in practises and once in the race.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 11:43 (Ref:557112)   #24
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
There was the Honda drive, Cox, Peter i think, who has a collosal accident in the BTCC. Damn, my memory is auful, i dont know where that was either.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 12:14 (Ref:557151)   #25
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I could have sworn that the Porsche-Saleen shunt was at the bottom of Paddock bend at Brands