Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2003, 03:37 (Ref:618715)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Bernie Wants Qualifying Lottery

Quote:
From F1i.com
Bernie Ecclestone has responded to FIA boss Max Mosley's call for a 'viable alternative' to shoot-out qualifying.

Ecclestone, the 72-year-old F1 supremo, panned 2003's new one-lap regulations as 'horrible' and 'less exciting' and likely to change ahead of next season.

Mosley said the FIA would look at any alternatives closely as he conceded that the Saturday dash, seeing cars with race-levels of fuel, was 'less intense' than the old system.

'I'd like to see the fastest 10 in qualifying drawn by lottery for the grid,' Ecclestone said in Monaco yesterday.

'So you would have a different grid for sure and all the guys who are in the top 10 would have a good chance of being on pole.'

Bernie would bring back the old 60-minute, low fuel session for all twenty grand prix competitors.

And then only the top 10 would be eligible for the lottery for pole; or perhaps take part in a further shoot-out session to establish who is quickest.

'They'd get points for that and a lottery for the grid,' Ecclestone continued.

Mosley criticised Ecclestone for chopping and changing his opinion on an alternative to the new system.

'Every time you talk to him he's got a new angle on it,' said the Englishman.

He added: 'I think there are so many different versions but the truth of it is that we need to go through the season and see how this works.'
You've got to be kidding
Old 3 Jun 2003, 03:46 (Ref:618724)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
'I'd like to see the fastest 10 in qualifying drawn by lottery for the grid,' Ecclestone said in Monaco yesterday.
All tickets $US 1 million each.Payable to BEcclestone Inc.
Yep leave the good ideas to Max, Bernie,this is a clunker
Old 3 Jun 2003, 03:57 (Ref:618731)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, I've got the boulder and the rope. Now I just need those two, and a lake to throw them in.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 03:58 (Ref:618733)   #4
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a goose!

you'd think that a man who makes so much money out of the tv rights would realise that the current system cr@ps all over the old one from a viewer's perspective

the lottery idea is just plain bad - the sort of thing you expect to see in a celebrity race - not F1
Old 3 Jun 2003, 04:04 (Ref:618743)   #5
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This story has been out a few days, youre getting a bit slow, Wrex. Like Mosley says there are several different versions of this and some of them arent crazy. Ill doubt theyll go through with this and im starting to like the new format so, meh.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 05:14 (Ref:618786)   #6
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think this should be in the "Drugs in sport" thread.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 06:22 (Ref:618803)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie can go to hell if he thinks this is going to happy
Old 3 Jun 2003, 07:33 (Ref:618849)   #8
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure, the fact that racing is now more interesting than qualifying, as opposed to last year, where it was the other way around....but, racing is more important, and at the moment, it makes racing, the more important one, more entertaining.

Formula 1 is far better now, the new rules make it more intersting and more open.

I can say, most of us, like it more now, than how it was!
Old 3 Jun 2003, 07:57 (Ref:618863)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bernie would bring back the old 60-minute, low fuel session for all twenty grand prix competitors.
The only change needed to qualifying is to bring back this format, scrap the stupid one lap only format and chuck this 'lottery' idea where it belongs.....
Old 3 Jun 2003, 08:19 (Ref:618883)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
you'd think that a man who makes so much money out of the tv rights would realise that the current system cr@ps all over the old one from a viewer's perspective
I preferred the older one. I actually agree with Eddie Irvine (doesn't happen often) who is anothe viewer now. The different fuel levels destroys it (and I think takes away excitement from the race) too. I also think the laps aren't as exciting as before, even if we do get to see each one.

I'd like to see 1 lap without fuel for a bit longer, jsut to give it a bit more chance, but overall I would still prefer the old system. The advatage of the new system is a mixed grid caused by a driver's mistake (not by the fuel). The advanatage of the old system is everyone got chance to respond to the pole lap and the laps were more exciting.
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
the lottery idea is just plain bad - the sort of thing you expect to see in a celebrity race - not F1
I am suprised that Bernie actually said this because it is completely the opposite of previous remarks he has made on the subject. He might me taking the Michael, or it might not be the full story.

Anyway what would it mean for Senna's pole record!
Old 3 Jun 2003, 10:30 (Ref:618977)   #11
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer this qualifying format as is. Much as it hurts qualifying, it does help the race a little. However, I could tolerate the fuel rule being dropped, but NOT the Parc Ferme rules. They MUST stay. I think they're quite good for teams and fans, giving teams a nice nights rest before the busy race day.
They need to firm up the Parc Ferme rules.

As for the qualifying format, it really makes Friday qualifying much more interesting. Let's face it, we all hang out for Friday qualifying to see how fast the drivers and cars can get used to the track.

If Bernie and Max REALLY want to make Saturday Qualifying a big deal:
OLD STYLE on friday. Sets first order for saturday.
Me, I'd like to see the cars run as they do, then 10 cars are allowed to run again. And not just 10 but each of the twenty drivers who wants to run again runs again starting from whoever got fastest. If they decline, next fastest gets a choice until we have 10 to go again. And your most recent run is your time. Then 5 run. Then 2. 2 Championship point for pole, 1 for other front grid spot. (Ie: a big deal.) Fuel and Parc Ferme rules still in effect (However, cars can be tweaked and refuelled while waiting in pits between their laps.).
Watch it suddenly become a lot more hotly contested, and when watching qualifying, at the adds you can be sitting their waiting: "Who the hell is going to go again?".

For TV, if there's no hands going up, names are drawn from a hat for the remaining places. And remember, you can slip yourself down the grid. But remember, tyres are being used up all the time... ^_^

It'll punish the cars too and force them to be made much more reliable. Which usually equates to losses in power. Much more exciting too.

"Button must be on fumes! That's a blinding time from the Brit, looks like he and Trulli are going to forgo Sunday for those two points!"

It'd really make Saturday almost an event of it's own. I don't care what anyone says, it'd be damn good to watch, I think drivers would push hard because they know even if they went fast last time someone further down the grid may get an option to take their time away.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 13:23 (Ref:619151)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Mosley interviewed by italian RAI.
I can reassure that Max Mosley, in a very good italian BTW, was clear in sayng that such a proprosal is interesting, but not implementable in the short term, 'cause this year too many changes have already been introduced.
In my opinion twas a very english way to rule it off
Old 3 Jun 2003, 23:13 (Ref:619820)   #13
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What next F1 Bingo? What an arse.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 00:27 (Ref:619890)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I *think* people are missing the point here. Remeber his suggestion for driver swapping?? We ALL knew that one was arse, and so is this. But it's DELIBERATE arse. Bernie's very good at PR and stimulating debate. He ain't being serious - he's just making people talk about F1 and where it will go. Clever man, Bernie.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 00:57 (Ref:619902)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie is going senile if he thinks a lottery will be more exciting.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 01:16 (Ref:619911)   #16
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome to the WWF1 its a motorsport race not a show
Old 4 Jun 2003, 03:29 (Ref:619974)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
welcome to the WWF1 its a motorsport race not a show
thats not as stupid as you would think,in the '70s drivers certainally contrived races to keep the punters interested,whos to say what we are seeing this year hasnt been scripted before hand?.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 03:42 (Ref:619984)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I hope the previous post is a joke...

Bernie is a clever man, but as a F1 sporting regulator he is a disaster. Few days ago he insisted in Monaco NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, will disappear from F1, and now he wants a lottery-grid. It essentially would do a random race podium, as it is virtually not possible to overtake there.

What a silly idea.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 05:57 (Ref:620047)   #19
mortda
Rookie

mortda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have pity on poor Bern and Max, as it is obvious that they are both are suffering from an early onset of senile dementia
Old 4 Jun 2003, 06:48 (Ref:620065)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new qualifying may not be as good but the excitement on the saturday has simply been traded for excitement in the race and that can only be a good thing surely. Had we had normal qualifying then the Ferrari's would have walked it again on Sunday, at least this system gives the other teams the chance to out smart them and we no idea what is going to happen come race day. Stick with the session as it is I say because it's working.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 06:53 (Ref:620069)   #21
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think senility has hit old Bernie, put him in a padded cell quick.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 12:54 (Ref:620485)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
I *think* people are missing the point here. Remeber his suggestion for driver swapping?? We ALL knew that one was arse, and so is this. But it's DELIBERATE arse. Bernie's very good at PR and stimulating debate. He ain't being serious - he's just making people talk about F1 and where it will go. Clever man, Bernie.
IMO you are spot on.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 15:29 (Ref:620700)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
IMO you are spot on.
Me too.

Bernie wants F1 mentioned on every sports show at least once a week.

If it's a slow week, watch this sort of rubbish fly.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:18 (Ref:620964)   #24
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
-bizarre qualifying idea number no.1001

two qualifying sessions. First session is the same as the current rules, a one lap shoot out in championship order. Instead of deciding the order you go on track in in the second session, the first session decides how many runs you get in the second session- top8 get three runs, 9-15th get two and 16-20th get only one run. This would add a sense of continuity throughout the whole race weekend.

any more ideas while we're at it?
Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:22 (Ref:620973)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Another little bit further down the slippery slope... :-(