Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1318850)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Williams/BMW/Sauber/Honda rumours

OK, these have, I'm sure, been covered elsewhere, but I thought I'd bring together a few rumours that have been flying around and see what people think they say about the next few years. The rumours that I can think of are as follows, and I make no judgement at the moment on their veracity:

1) BMW will supply Sauber with engines for 2006.

2) BMW will eventually buy into Sauber and run it as BMW Motorsport.

3) Williams will lose BMW power by 2007.

4) Williams will run Cosworth engines in 2006.

5) Williams will run Honda engines from 2007.

6) Nick Heidfeld will go to Sauber-BMW for 2006.

7) Patrick Head wants to sell his stake in Williams GPE.

8) David Richards wants to buy Patrick Head's stake.

OK, so what does it all mean? I think it's clear that BMW is at best ambivalent about its continuing relationship with Williams. The partnership hasn't delivered the results BMW was expecting (the results the engines deserved?), and Frank and Patrick are not happy about sellinge equity in the team to an engine manufacturer. It seems at least possible, perhaps probable, that Sauber will get BMW engines on some basis next year, and if Button goes to Williams I can see Heidfeld moving back to Sauber; there has always been an impression that he's the 'BMW man' at Williams. Now, it is said that Mario Theissen proposed to the BMW board in 2003 that they should create a factory F1 team, but was rebuffed; Sauber is now an attractive option, given the windtunnel, and a supply of engines for 2006 (along with giving Williams notice that their relationship will end at the close of 2006) could well be a precursor to Sauber becoming the works BMW squad, either as Sauber-BMW or else as BMW Motorsport.

The Williams/Honda link-up is harder to fathom. Honda, after all, owns a minority share of BAR, so, unless it was to divest itself of that, it wouldn't make much sense to hook up with another team except on a purely customer basis. That said... Williams/Honda, Button being a Williams driver and David Richards looking to buy into Williams have the whiff of a bigger story about them. Honda must know that DR has brought them more success than anyone else to date (since they came back to F1 in 2000), and perhaps they see Button leading a Williams-Honda charge overseen by David Richards as their best bet for a world championship.

Complicated, complicated. Thoughts?
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1318889)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams Honda - I'm not normally a sucker for nostalgia but that does sound good to me. With a British driver, for the full "remember the Mansell years" effect.

Maybe BMW could be crazy enough to buy Honda out of BAR..?
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1318895)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Hmm, swapsies. Interesting idea. BAR-BMW sounds confusing; though, BAT will presumably be wanting to sell up soon. BMW could do worse than inheriting Geoff Willis and the BAR infrastructure.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1318905)   #4
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like good business sense to me.
If Honda has the money, why not supply a second team with engines and get DR to help manage and put button in one of the driving seats.

This way they hedge their bets on an each way. At least probability would be in their favour with their name associated with two very capable teams.

Bring it on.........
Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1318924)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Hedging their bets would make sense if they didn't actually own part of BAR. But if Williams proved more successful and they wanted to part company with BAR, they'd have to sell their equity rather than just stopping the supply of engines.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1318993)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Didn't I read somewhere that Toyota, or should I say Lexus-Toyota were also in talks with Williams?

If I had to guess how all this will turn out, I'd say point 1, 2, 3 and possibly 6 are the most likely. Based on the continued and persistent rumours, seems the only real question is: Exactly when will BMW buy into Sauber and run it as BMW Motorsport? It likely will take a few years to get there, me thinks.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1319025)   #7
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, I cant see FW working next to DR and being buddies..
Old 3 Jun 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1319028)   #8
-->>Diesel<<--
Rookie

England
England
-->>Diesel<<-- should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Honda decide to supply engines to Williams it will only be on a customer basis, and the only real reason for doing it is the fact that Button is heading to Williams. Any engines Williams recieve will be stable basic customer engines, no brand new power upgrades or developement parts, those all go to BAR. BAR will turn into Honda F1 in 2006 anyway, with tobacco advertising being banned soon BAT will have no use for the team and sell it as quick as possible. Honda already own 45% of BAR so it seems logical they buy the rest. Someone might step in at the last minute and buy up the 55% to keep BAR going.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1319031)   #9
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a crazy rumor of Proton out of Malaysia buying a team outright/or purchasing a stake in a team, and Re-branding it Lotus.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1319038)   #10
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Webber was on R.P.M. Sunday afternoon (Oz time) talking about his chances ()in the European GP.He looked bored, almost surly at times.The Engine rumours were mentioned and not denied.By his clichés it sounded like B.M.W is going.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1319164)   #11
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't Honda and / or BMW just go ahead and make their own chasis like Toyota, Renault and Ferrari?

Doesn't seem they could do worse. They've both had among the most powerfull engines in F1 for a long time but been held back by mediocre chasis, IMO.

McLaren Mercedes is a different story. In that case it seems the chasis has been superb but the engine only above average untill this year.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1319176)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampCord
Why don't Honda and / or BMW just go ahead and make their own chasis like Toyota, Renault and Ferrari?

Doesn't seem they could do worse. They've both had among the most powerfull engines in F1 for a long time but been held back by mediocre chasis, IMO.
See - that's what I'm talking about. If the thing that Williams lack is chassis/aero performance, how come they do well at circuits that reward chassis and aerodynamic prowess? Common misconception. Engine power is a very small piece of the puzzle.

Toyota have spent about two billion dollars to get just to where they are now - "just go ahead and make your own chassis" sounds simple, but the truth is that is simplistic (and wrong) thinking.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1319308)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Williams-Honda thing made me prick my ears up, but together with Patrick wanting to leave (doesn't surprise me, he hasn't been getting on with Frank for a good while) and Richards wanting to buy his stake - it's like one of those trite cartoons where someone sits on a desert island and it turns out to be a huge sea monster.

This one could go places...
Old 3 Jun 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1319359)   #14
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
everyone is forgetting something .... IF (big if) Honda were to suply engines to Williams and have DR run things surely Button wouldnt want to work there, considering the fact DR didnt pay Button last year, when he was at BAR. (well he did just not on time. IIRC)
Old 3 Jun 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1319363)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
They didn't get on, but Jenson isn't that stupid.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1319445)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampCord
Honda did try it in the late 90's.
But their designer died the year before their car would enter the competitioned.
Therefore, the project was abandoned.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 03:40 (Ref:1319658)   #17
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
OK, these have, I'm sure, been covered elsewhere, but I thought I'd bring together a few rumours that have been flying around and see what people think they say about the next few years. The rumours that I can think of are as follows, and I make no judgement at the moment on their veracity:

1) BMW will supply Sauber with engines for 2006.

2) BMW will eventually buy into Sauber and run it as BMW Motorsport.

3) Williams will lose BMW power by 2007.

4) Williams will run Cosworth engines in 2006.

5) Williams will run Honda engines from 2007.

6) Nick Heidfeld will go to Sauber-BMW for 2006.

7) Patrick Head wants to sell his stake in Williams GPE.

8) David Richards wants to buy Patrick Head's stake.

OK, so what does it all mean? I think it's clear that BMW is at best ambivalent about its continuing relationship with Williams. The partnership hasn't delivered the results BMW was expecting (the results the engines deserved?), and Frank and Patrick are not happy about sellinge equity in the team to an engine manufacturer. It seems at least possible, perhaps probable, that Sauber will get BMW engines on some basis next year, and if Button goes to Williams I can see Heidfeld moving back to Sauber; there has always been an impression that he's the 'BMW man' at Williams. Now, it is said that Mario Theissen proposed to the BMW board in 2003 that they should create a factory F1 team, but was rebuffed; Sauber is now an attractive option, given the windtunnel, and a supply of engines for 2006 (along with giving Williams notice that their relationship will end at the close of 2006) could well be a precursor to Sauber becoming the works BMW squad, either as Sauber-BMW or else as BMW Motorsport.

The Williams/Honda link-up is harder to fathom. Honda, after all, owns a minority share of BAR, so, unless it was to divest itself of that, it wouldn't make much sense to hook up with another team except on a purely customer basis. That said... Williams/Honda, Button being a Williams driver and David Richards looking to buy into Williams have the whiff of a bigger story about them. Honda must know that DR has brought them more success than anyone else to date (since they came back to F1 in 2000), and perhaps they see Button leading a Williams-Honda charge overseen by David Richards as their best bet for a world championship.

Complicated, complicated. Thoughts?
Can I ask you why you think there's an impression that Nick Heidfeld is a BMW man? Is it just because he's German? You may recall that Nick was originally contracted to Mercedes and hence was apparently a bit miffed when McLaren took Kimi to replace Mika instead of Nick a few years ago. Furthermore, Sir Frank and Patrick chose Nick after a series of tests against Pizzonia in the off-season. Sir Frank reputedly took a night to think about the decision, then went with Nick over Antonio, but the decision would have been a tight one to make, I think.

I, for one, certainly don't have an impression that Heidfeld is a "BMW man", but simply Sir Frank's choice as the best available man for the job (even better than Mika, who according to this month's F1 Racing magazine impressed Sam Michael and Patrick Head when he met with the Williams trio).
Old 4 Jun 2005, 06:59 (Ref:1319722)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When Mr Webber or Mr Heidfeld win a couple of races, perhaps the tensions will be eased a little???
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Jun 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1319759)   #19
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, as it always does

Williams-Honda, BAR-BMW seems like an attractive option, but where does that leave Sato? Williams? BAR? Out of F1?

I don't see Webber leaving Williams for a long time. So that's one seat.

What about this rumour or Williams going to Bridgestone?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1321625)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Can I ask you why you think there's an impression that Nick Heidfeld is a BMW man? Is it just because he's German? You may recall that Nick was originally contracted to Mercedes and hence was apparently a bit miffed when McLaren took Kimi to replace Mika instead of Nick a few years ago. Furthermore, Sir Frank and Patrick chose Nick after a series of tests against Pizzonia in the off-season. Sir Frank reputedly took a night to think about the decision, then went with Nick over Antonio, but the decision would have been a tight one to make, I think.

I, for one, certainly don't have an impression that Heidfeld is a "BMW man", but simply Sir Frank's choice as the best available man for the job (even better than Mika, who according to this month's F1 Racing magazine impressed Sam Michael and Patrick Head when he met with the Williams trio).
Well, it's my impression; Mario Theissen was quoted as saying that the nationality of the second driver wasn't critical, but that his being German wouldn't do any harm. I also have a suspicion, but no more than that, that BMW were keen to get one over on Mercedes-Benz after Werner Laurenz went to MB and Montoya went to McLaren, and that the idea of rehabilitating McLaren/Mercedes-Benz's discarded protege appealed to them.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1321887)   #21
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=BSchneiderFan]

The Williams/Honda link-up is harder to fathom. Honda, after all, owns a minority share of BAR, QUOTE]

45%..."Minority"?...only if ONE share owner controls 55%!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1321899)   #22
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Minority...as in not Majority...

DKGanDBH
Old 6 Jun 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1321904)   #23
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
BAT hold the majority share of BAR. Or else I suspect it would be called 'Honda'.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1321908)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
45%..."Minority"?...only if ONE share owner controls 55%!
No. Honda could own 45% and every other shareholders could own just 1% each, and Honda would still own a minority share of the team.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1321912)   #25
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
They didn't get on, but Jenson isn't that stupid.
On which of his actions over the past 10 months do you base that statement? Maybe not all Jensons fault and he has changed management but it's hardly been a period of sensibility.... Always easier to point the finger at someone else.