Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:12 (Ref:765985)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gryphon Investors?

According to a new SEC filing, Gryphon Master Fund has bought 5.8% of CART stock.

It appears that....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gryphon Investors, Inc. ("Gryphon") sponsors leveraged acquisitions of and growth equity investments in middle-market companies in partnership with proven management teams. We focus on making equity investments of $15 million to $100 million in middle-market companies with enterprise values of $50 million to $500 million. In addition, Gryphon opportunistically pursues compelling larger and smaller investments. Gryphon's initial fund, Gryphon Partners, L.P. raised in 1996, enabled us to lead over $100 million of equity investments in 1997 and 1998. Raised in 1999, Gryphon Partners II, L.P. (the "Partnership") is a uniquely structured, $424 million investment fund whose limited partners include some of the United States' most successful investors, largest public pension funds, leading lenders, and wealthiest individuals. Since its founding, Gryphon has led investments in ten platform companies and arranged over fifteen add-on acquisitions.

Gryphon was founded in 1995 by David Andrews to create a leading investment firm whose people, strategies and culture are well-suited for the increasingly competitive environments of business and private equity investing. Prior to forming Gryphon, Mr. Andrews was a Managing Director/Partner of Oak Hill Partners, Inc., the management company of Acadia Partners, L.P. ("Acadia"), a $1.8 billion investment partnership controlled by Robert M. Bass of Ft. Worth, Texas. The four other principals of Gryphon are Kurt Kaull, Will Lynn, Nick Orum, and Jeff Ott. Mr. Orum joined Mr. Andrews in co-founding Gryphon in 1995, while Messrs. Kaull and Lynn joined the firm in 2000 and Mr. Ott in 2001. The Gryphon team also consists of fourteen additional professionals with meaningful private equity or operating experience.

Gryphon's investment strategy is predicated on proactivity, partnership, and building leading businesses. We dedicate significant time and resources to proactively identifying investment opportunities in targeted industries in partnership with proven, professional executives. In addition, Gryphon focuses on investing in quality companies with distinctive competitive strategies, where we can align the economic interests of management with our own. Finally, Gryphon strives to assist management in building leading businesses, whether in "Old Economy" or "New Economy" sectors. In today's competitive environment, we believe financial engineering is rarely sufficient to generate attractive returns on capital. Rather, Gryphon focuses on companies with opportunities to accelerate growth -- either organically or through add-on acquisitions; improve profitability; leverage applicable information technology; or enhance their competitive positions. The track record of Gryphon's portfolio companies demonstrates the success of such business-building initiatives, ranging from the "Old Economy" sector of security officer services to the "New Economy" sector of information technology outsourcing services.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:42 (Ref:766040)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since CART changed the ticker symbol I have not been able to get any info other than quotes and the SEC filings.

Do we know if this was a public or private transaction? The price? Insider trade? Which side of the fence they fall on with regard to the buyout?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 18:56 (Ref:766065)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Sorry, can't help you now, Flatspot.....will let you know as soon as possible.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 00:18 (Ref:766356)   #4
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really speak the language that the quote was written in. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :confused:
Old 29 Oct 2003, 00:38 (Ref:766369)   #5
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART's new symbol is CPNT and it trades on OTC BB

for Yahoo! you can find it under cpnt.ob

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=cpnt.ob

The SEC filings can be found on CART.com

http://www.shareholder.com/cart/edgar.cfm

this filing is here

http://www.shareholder.com/cart/Edga...7700&SID=03-00

No I do not speak the BS-ese well enough to translate what Gryphon is saying beyond mostly buzz-buzz-buzz wink-wink. On the other hand these guys didn't risk very much money, and it is probably just an effort to get a profit (buy at $0.47, vote yes and sell at $0.56).

The applicable statement for what these guys are after is in the filing

Quote:
Item 10. Certifications:

By signing below I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the securities referred to above were not acquired and are not held for the purpose of or with the effect of changing or influencing the control of the issuer of the securities and were not acquired and are not held in connection with or as a participant in any transaction having that purpose or effect.
Yawn
Old 29 Oct 2003, 01:53 (Ref:766409)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
"Hello."

Last edited by macdaddy; 29 Oct 2003 at 08:00.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:01 (Ref:766436)   #7
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"How are you?"

Last edited by macdaddy; 29 Oct 2003 at 08:01.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 03:18 (Ref:766445)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
"Fine, thanks!"

Last edited by macdaddy; 29 Oct 2003 at 08:01.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 16:14 (Ref:767079)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol what the hell?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 16:31 (Ref:767097)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Very well said, Macdaddy! Btw, you are doing a fine job!!! I apologize if i'm making your job more difficult then it should be, but sometimes I get VERY frustrated with SOME people's point of view.

Old 29 Oct 2003, 17:32 (Ref:767173)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so these guys Gryphon, buy enough and will sel at the .56 to get profit, with their share and OWRS collective share, will they beable to out vote Vannini? and sell CART to the Business guys who love it?
because i haven't heard much from vannini and I think he is a real thorn in the side of this whole thing, after all he'll do better selling at .56 now anyway.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 19:44 (Ref:767305)   #12
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At this point I don't seen why Vannini will vote no to the buyout. He's already lost a lot of money, and CART's shares are selling for less than the buyout price now. If anything I think he would vote yes, to lose the least amount of money possible at this point, and then maybe try to pursue legal action later if he feels cheated.