Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:14 (Ref:1121987)   #1
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're already ahead of the field

According to Planet F1 Ross Brawn is saying they've aready got the reduction in aerodynamic load down to 20% on the hybrid car that they'll start next year with. This is from the 25% that FIA rule changes were supposed to introduce.

He further states that they believe they can get this down to 15% by season start and they are currently only 1.5 - 2 seconds a lap slower rather than the 3 that FIA wanted.

So much for the new rule changes shaking the field up - I think we're probably looking at WC number 8 for Schumi already
Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:17 (Ref:1121998)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yyup
i have noticed and read that they ferrari, have been testing the next years regs with a hybrid car- less aero less power and an engine which won't explode after 2 race weekends.
it is at f1-live.com
simply amazing that the team is this far ahead already and this well prepared.
WDC and CC next year at ferarri? probably unless Maclaren renault and williams have a rabbit in their hats
Old 12 Oct 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1122028)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ominous, this sort of preperation is what makes them the best team.

Speaking of which, lets hope that Gavin Fisher's accident doesn't hamper the Willams 2005 attack too much, they can't afford another year when it takes them half the season to get up to speed.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1122116)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Those figures are all to be taken with a pinch of salt. The FIA may have been aiming for a reduction of 25%, but nowhere in any regulations does it say "downforce must be 25% less than", it only points out what actual regs have changed.

In addition the other teams are just not saying what difference it makes. The rule changes (whatever they are!) might only make 20% difference to a McLaren (or 30%). If you see what I mean.

I think this gives a general impression of how teams claw downforce back. However imagine that nothing was done then the downforce levels might have increased by 10% anyway for next year?

Ferrari will do well though. They have the resources to respond and it is most likely they will get it right first time.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1122118)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: They're already ahead of the field

Quote:
Originally posted by muzza4ever

So much for the new rule changes shaking the field up - I think we're probably looking at WC number 8 for Schumi already
My sheer delight knows no bounds......
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1122129)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a Ferrari fan Ayse, I hadn't realised.

I am wondering which regulations are these anyway? What are they changing for next year?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1122143)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have they agreed on any changes yet, or is Max pushing it through on safety grounds?

There was (IIRC) a cut off date by when the teams were supposed to accept the FIA's take on the regs, or come up with something better, I think this date has passed.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1122149)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a "most likely" option for the aero package, which is what most teams are working towards.

McLaren, Williams et al are doing the same, so I doubt Ferrari have any real advantage from this, rather than they have a faster car to begin with!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1122213)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Minardi are 4-5 seconds down already, which means they've done twice as good a job as Ferrari.

But anyway. Look at 1998 - McLaren were the surprise package then, it wouldn't do to make any assumptions until at least 15 minutes into the Australian GP.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1122217)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think anyone was surprised by McLaren's performance at the 1998 Australian Grand Prix, after hearing Damon Hill's comments during a winter test at Barcelona.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1122230)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
What winter test comments are we going to use right now to judge who is going to be the best team next season then?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1122238)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Well, we'll have to wait until winter testing!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1122250)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Hence why McLaren were the surprise package and it wouldn't do to make assumptions.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:16 (Ref:1122271)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Not a Ferrari fan Ayse, I hadn't realised.
Remind me Adam, they're the red one's aren't they?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1122288)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These new developments are dissssturbing indeed...
Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1122289)   #16
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Well Minardi are 4-5 seconds down already, which means they've done twice as good a job as Ferrari.
*guffaw*

I'm looking forward to the FIA changing the regs in a surprising way so that all of Ferrarsi's efforts are wasted.

Dur, what am I talking about? Like the FIA would do anything to hinder their golden boys...
Old 12 Oct 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1122321)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

To suggest the FIA would wish to favour the team which has won the past five seasons and has been accused of making the sport boring is stretching things, I believe!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1122471)   #18
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 2003 rule changes concerning qualifiying with race fuel loads really benefited ferrari didn't they.
(and yes, i am being sarcastic).
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1122491)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well there was a rule change mid-2003 that favoured Ferrari......

Nah, agree with KB largely, the FIA wouldn't try to make things in favour of Ferrari.....although they do appear to at times which doesn't help these accusations to go away!

Anyways, if you hark your mind back to this time in 2002 you may recall the noises coming from Maranello about F2003 GA. About how it was well ahead of schedule and a huge leap over F2002. And look what happened in the end!

Whatever people say about the rule changes for 2003 and how they disadvantaged the Ferrari, the fact is they slightly screwed up although this was largely down to tyres.

So don't take this news of Ferraris 2005 hybrid too badly, because there are teams around who are just as likely to make a huge step as well.

I would only worry if Ferrari turn up at Imola pre-season testing, a week before the season kicks off, and nobody can get within two seconds of them like happened this year!

So relax......
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1122498)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chicken Little...the sky is falling!

Some of these comments are a bit pessimistic don't you think? What's to say that other teams have not, or are not testing parts for next year? I know there is precidence for doom and gloom talk where Ferrari are concerned, but it's a bit early for all of that.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1122542)   #21
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can't see mclaren starting next season as badly as they did this one. renault should be on the pace(although they have dropped of a bit lately. not sure about bar/williams, it depends on who drives for who. they should all be there or thereabouts.
not sure who else on the grid will improve next year(if it isn't just toyota and sauber), but i can't see ferrari running and hiding from the rest, although i did think that this year as well, mclaren at the very least should be with them all the way, and maybe the other 3 top teams should be able to challenge ferrari on some weekends, if not consistently.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1122600)   #22
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again the fia has done what it does best-cause massive conroversy,increase cost to the teams,etc and all for a piffling several percent speed reduction.
It's about time someone showed them that they are supposed to be an organisation run for the benifit of motorsport-not a platform for max's political ideas
Old 12 Oct 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1122611)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

the times will be slower than that in races as you'll have to make one set of tyres last the distance
Old 14 Oct 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1124238)   #24
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
i have noticed and read that they ferrari, have been testing the next years regs with a hybrid car- less aero less power and an engine which won't explode after 2 race weekends.
it is at f1-live.com
simply amazing that the team is this far ahead already and this well prepared.
If it makes you feel any better BAR are also testing with 2005 spec aero and tyres in Jerez.