Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 30 Nov 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1168341)   #1
yeltneb
Rookie

yeltneb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Women 2005

Is this happening in 2005? I heard a rumour that it was canned but they are still taking application fees.
Can anyone confirm this before my wife pays her fee.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1168395)   #2
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC issued a provisional calendar today. I'll post it here tomorrow, unless I'm beaten to it.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 09:25 (Ref:1168731)   #3
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beaten to it...

17/07/2005 CADWELL
17/07/2005 CADWELL
30-31/07/2005 BRANDS
30-31/07/2005 BRANDS
13-14/08/2005 PEMBREY
13/14/08/2005 PEMBREY
27-28/08/2005 ROCKINGHAM
27-28/08/2005 ROCKINGHAM
10-11/09/2005 SNETTERTON
10-11/09/2005 SNETTERTON
Old 1 Dec 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1168859)   #4
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Woman steps into Saloon

As revealed in Motorsport News today (24th Nov) Formula Woman will be running an all female team in saloon cars next year.
Several drivers are being considered for the team and the idea is to allow Formula Woman 'graduates' to progress up the motor sport ladder.

Also revealed is that assessments will be taking place throughout 2005 for all those applicants selected, with a new novice Formula Woman Championship taking place in 2006.

Further news on Formula Woman plans will be revealed at The Autosport International Show at Birmingham’s NEC 13 - 16th Jan 2005.

Taken from formulawoman.com
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1169088)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what exactly are the dates posted by graeme above?
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:33 (Ref:1169098)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The dates for the 2005 FW championship I expect...
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1169100)   #7
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the dates listed the assessment days?
Old 1 Dec 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1169101)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They look more like championship dates to me...
Old 1 Dec 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1169371)   #9
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l
Formula Woman steps into Saloon

As revealed in Motorsport News today (24th Nov) Formula Woman will be running an all female team in saloon cars next year.
Several drivers are being considered for the team and the idea is to allow Formula Woman 'graduates' to progress up the motor sport ladder.

In what saloon cars what series?

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 1 Dec 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1169387)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Britcar
Old 2 Dec 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1169643)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
The dates for the 2005 FW championship I expect...
My point was that 'mark's post above states that there is NO champiopnship until 2006.They have no cars-Mazda have pulled out.My guess is the dates are from a BARC? source that has not been advised of cancellation?
Old 2 Dec 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1169653)   #12
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they are not using Mazdas this year?

Provisional BARC dates issued for all their supported series earlier this week.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1171074)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I cannot understand this, I think this all female formula being proposed is a smack in the eye for womanhood. I mean we are not talking about running a marathon race or anything too physical so why cant women just compete in a race with men as they always have done. I am sure some of history's great women racers, and avaitors would be turning in their graves at the prospect of all female races. We had some good women drivers in the ModProds Ilsa Cox for one, who could really cut it with the guys in a race.

I personally think if women are at any disadvantage at all at least in club motorsport it is nothing to do with strength or phyical ability but more to do with car preparation as many guys do their own at club level and often come from a mechanical background like motor engineering whereas how many women do you see working as car mechanics even in this elightened age.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1172428)   #14
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I right in thinking that in the season that Ilsa Cox won the Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship that she was the most successful driver in the UK in terms of wins, fastest laps and poles etc....??

I think that proves that Women really can cut it in a championship that includes men, although I do think that something like Formula Woman serves a purpose in getting women interested in the sport... My Girlfriend for example. After seeing the Formula Women TV show she has been banging on about having a spin in my car now... No chance!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1172727)   #15
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that a woman won the Scottish Formula Ford championship and a woman won the Formula Jedi championship and also a woman has tested and is possible gonna be racing a F1 car in EuroBoss next year.

Sorry but i cant remember any of their names.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1172731)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I guess Formula Women was one thing it was obviously a way for a manufacturer to promote their product and was harmless enough, what concerned me more was the article I was reading in MS News about a race championship that was just for women. I mean hold on one moment, if someone proposed a championship just for men the PC police would soon be on the case.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 20:19 (Ref:1172775)   #17
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sarah Playfair is the Scots FFord racer, dont think she won the championship. Jodie Hemming won Formula B in the jedis and is racing in Boss next yr in a jordan.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1172804)   #18
bodyrepairs
Rookie

bodyrepairs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joddie Hemming, has show that women can race and beat the men. With her runaway win this year in the 600cc Jedi Class. Good luck to her in the Ex F1 car next season, racing in euroboss i think.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1173153)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Others who have won championships in UK apart from Jodie & Ilsa include Amanda Whitaker,twice winner of the Monoposto championship,and Tina Cooper,who beat around 50 men to the Mini 7 series some years ago.
Main reason more ladies don't move up in the sport is the ingorance of potential sponsors.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:54 (Ref:1173169)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
This reminds me when I worked for Roger Nathan Racing in the 60's. There was this beautiful Dutch girl Lianna Englemann I think her name was. Anyhow I don't know whether Roger had the hots for her (he should have done she was a babe), if he did he was unlucky because she was going out with Kieth St.John the Radio London sponsored driver. Anyway there was all this hype and spent a week or so preparing Nathans Imp which had been in mothballs whle he concerntrated on GT's. There was intervew with Honey magazine or some girly mag, even interviewed me, big old hype job as she looked real cool in a pair of tight overalls. Only one problem, and I am not saying this in an anti-female derogetory way, she just could not drive end of story.

About a week before the debut race we were all in the workshop standing around the car talking a good race and who walks in, Paul Hawkins the Aussie GT40 driver. He takes one look at the beautiful Leanna and explodes 'What the *@cking hell is that *itch doing here' or words to that effect. He then storms off. It turns out he was at Daytona I believe a few months previously hitting some incredible speed down the straight in a GT car and Lianne driving a factory AMX Javilin saloon pulled right out on him and took him off big time.

Anyway his parting shot was 'You will be sorry gettng involved wth her'. And we were, come the first race on the first lap at Lydden Hill she rolls the car on the only left hander pm the circuit and totals the car. All my hard work and I think that was the end of her career and just helped to give women racers a bad name because beauty was more important than talent in the blinkered world of sponsorshiip.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1173537)   #21
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you look at the complete history of F1 5 women have tried Grands Prix racing,only 2
have actually raced in Grands Prix, only one managed to finish in the top 6 in a shortened race. Women have managed to score 0.5 points since the world championship started.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1173541)   #22
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're talking about club racing though. No reason why a woman can't hold her own in that! Formula 1 is different....
Old 7 Dec 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1173568)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Yes,but women have done well in international racing as well,Ellen Lohr having won in DTM. Also I doubt that modern F1 is any more difficult than in the days of Maria de Filippis!
Old 7 Dec 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1173670)   #24
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica Patrick gave Ant Davidson a run for his money in formula ford and look where he is now
Old 7 Dec 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1173703)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Also what iis the girl who competes or competed in Indy Racing and I believe they are putting together an all women team as well. And what about female astronaughts it is a fact I believe that they are physically more apt for space travel. Modern F1 cars are surely less phyical to drive with power steering and auto boxes. I know you have the G forces but women seem to cope wth space travel and fighter planes so why not in an F1 car.