Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2002, 20:58 (Ref:430753)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you like the crashes?

I was speaking to a NASCAR fan this weekend and the usual discussion ensued... no passing... all you do is turn left.... However, he said something to me that I found a little disturbing. He likes the crashes!! He likes the crashes on the NASCAR circuit. He does not like to see people get hurt but he likes to see the cars spin and fly through the air;he loves the 10 car pile ups.
I like to see good saves but as for accidents they make me cringe! Seeing McNish in Japan was painful. How can anyone like the crashes?
Old 17 Nov 2002, 21:19 (Ref:430775)   #2
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, whenever a big crash happens, I always get very nervous watching it. This years Formula One crashes, particularly Australia, Austria and Japan were very big and I was relieved nobody was injured. In fact, I remember this year's Austrian GP more for that horrible accident involving Sato and Heidfeld than Ferrari's cock up. That image of what I thought was Sato being given CPR is still there in my mind. Not a great grand prix was it? That accident, the rigged finish, and I found it boring as well!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 21:21 (Ref:430776)   #3
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have to say that i do enjoy seeing crashes, but only if i know that no-one is injured. i do get nervous when i see them live. then again, crashes are the only things to look forward to in nascar.

Last edited by nameless; 17 Nov 2002 at 21:23.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 21:48 (Ref:430790)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love good crashes, and I love seeing the drivers get out and walk away from them. Putting that blanket up to block the cameras in Austria was stupid because it scared the hell out of everyone! In the states, they'd only do that if the guy was dead, so immediatly I started thinking Takuma was seriously hurt.

But yeah, crashes are spectacular, and I can't help but enjoy watching the ones where no one gets hurt.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 22:24 (Ref:430807)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing with the blanket came about after Imola 94, I think, where we saw a bit too much.

I agree though, the first thing I look for after a big crash is vital signs from the driver - it doesn't aid that quest if a big blue blanket is put up. It's much better to see the driver moving, and if it is serious, they can always move to an aerial shot (like the producers did when Greg Moore died, but it was pretty obvious straight away that it would be very serious).

To answer the question: Crashes are a part of motorsport, but I don't like them. It's fine when the drivers can walk away, but we've lost too many drivers in crashes, and one other thing we've learned is that it doesn't necessarily have to look bad initially to be bad. So even though crashes are bound to happen from time to time, I hope for them to be few and far between.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 22:33 (Ref:430811)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The silly incidents between cars are amusing, but when I see an horrific accident, it's awful. This season alone, the accidents with Sato and Heidfeld, and McNish's crash in Suzuka gave me this horrible feeling in the pit of stomach.

A few bits of carbon fibre flying about is okay. It's entertainment.

As for NASCAR, it may be great watching a 10 car pile-up, but it's all down to luck. Earndheart's (I'm sure the spelling is wrong) crash didn't look that bad, but he died, Senna's was just unlucky.

So a shunt doesn't make me go 'yeah! this is great!'. You can have the best safety aids in the world, but there is still an element of luck. What if McNish had gone in nose first or sideways?

Last edited by Spudgun; 17 Nov 2002 at 22:35.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 00:12 (Ref:430886)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, there is a difference in "liking the crashes" and "being interested" in them. I'm one of the latter. I obviously don't enjoy watching drivers crash, but I like to have as much photos of them, and know as much stories about them.
Let's see, I got 1591 photos of crashes stored in my PC, but that doesn't mean I like drivers crashing. To me, it's like a science...
Old 18 Nov 2002, 01:06 (Ref:430935)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The first time i saw that "blanket" was with Mika in Adelaide '95, so i was too extremely worried about Sato at Austria...

And I only like crashes for the reasons given above, that the driver remains uninjured.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 18 Nov 2002 at 01:08.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 02:08 (Ref:430966)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, I do totally agree, if stops being fun if someone gets hurt.

_Or_ a guy on a really limited budget wrecks. That's just painful to see.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 03:01 (Ref:431003)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're a part of the sport, and it is exciting seeing a guy do a ton of spins and make light contact or recover. However, severe accidents, where someone is injured or worse are sickening and people who enjoy them are also sick.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Nov 2002, 04:44 (Ref:431046)   #11
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zanardi's accident was painful to see...
And the result, worst...
Old 18 Nov 2002, 08:33 (Ref:431101)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bring back Andrea De Cesaris and put the Biff back in F1
Old 18 Nov 2002, 09:39 (Ref:431127)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Well, there is a difference in "liking the crashes" and "being interested" in them. I'm one of the latter. I obviously don't enjoy watching drivers crash, but I like to have as much photos of them, and know as much stories about them.
Let's see, I got 1591 photos of crashes stored in my PC, but that doesn't mean I like drivers crashing. To me, it's like a science...
That sums up my views as well. Amongst my 6gig of car videos, about a third to half are accidents. I also have several hundred crash images. It's not because I am ghoul and like seeing destruction, but I find it interesting.

Whenever a crash happens my first reaction is "Wow" then "is the driver OK" - if he is not seriously hurt, I actually like to see a bit of action. That doesn't mean I enjoy seeing terrible accidents week in week out, I often hold my breath until the first corner in a Grand Prix, but I don't see how anyone can deny that accidents like the one at Australian this year add to the spectacle that is motorsport.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 09:46 (Ref:431129)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Or a guy on a really limited budget wrecks. That's just painful to see.
I agree. Johnny Herbert, Lotus, Italian Grand Prix, 1994

That was the final nail in the coffin for Lotus. Seeing that Lotus spinning at the first turn was seeing Lotus spin itself to destruction as a Grand Prix team.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 11:57 (Ref:431217)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You mean seeing Eddie Irvine spin Lotus into destruction, that being in the days before he realised that the brakes on F1 cars also work at the first corner.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 11:57 (Ref:431218)   #16
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always get a sick feeling in my stomach when there's a big accident that doesn't go until i know the state of the people involved. It is always a relief to see drivers walk away from the scene after a big shunt.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 12:37 (Ref:431263)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I don't like crashes, and I would be most happy if I never saw another crash in F1. I suppose I've changed a helluva lot over the years.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 12:55 (Ref:431279)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I hate the crash, love the replay. I can only enjoy it if I already know the outcome ie: all ok.

Every time I see a crash I feel sick. Gold Coast Indy had me really worried. But when you hear about a accident and everyone was alright, I can't wait to see it.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 13:31 (Ref:431301)   #19
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only crash that I 'liked' seeing was either Patrese or Piquet (from memory) going a over t as he crossed the finish line - it was the weirdest thing I ever saw, a F1 car doing cartwheels over the finish line - and the car ended up pointing in the right direction on its wheels! Wow

I like seeing drivers skillfully AVOIDING an accident, the overtaking maneourves and hard & fast wheel to wheel racing MUCH more than seeing a prange.

Ever worse than seeing a crash is seeing debris going off into the crowd.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 14:01 (Ref:431332)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MimiMe are you talking about the Minardi's crashing at Monza in ninety-something of other? I think one of the drivers was Christian Fittipaldi.

I don't go out of my way to see a crash if it involves injury.

Wrex, I like your "I hate the crash, love the replay". I'm much the same. I like working out what went wrong.

However, I much prefer to watch a good save!
Old 18 Nov 2002, 17:14 (Ref:431486)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am intrigued with the cars and the talent behind the wheels. It is true that if now one is seriously injured then it is much easier to watch the replay. Its just the moment when the accident occurs that I think of all the people I know that have died in accidents and how horrific the family members must feel.

At least they die doing what they love to do. That is much better than many of us will ever get out of life.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 17:52 (Ref:431520)   #22
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no, i really don´t like crashes! like neilap said, I´m always reminded to people who have died or got seriously injured!
The Sato accident and the blankets after it really made me worry! But the worst feeling was last year on the Eurospeedway when Zanardi crashed and the broadcast on telly was immediatly stopped! then i knew that it was really serious. A tabloid paper printed some photos the day after of his crash when he still was in coma, and i think that´s really disgusting...well, their sensationalim is bad enough, but why do they print pictures of such an accident..i really can´t understand this
Old 18 Nov 2002, 19:24 (Ref:431608)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Each time I say this I'm accused of being boring, and I have to say that absolutely amazes and appals me, but if it's anything more than a simple coming together then the sight of a shunt leaves me feeling scared and even physically sick. Too long watching trackside I guess, or maybe it's having known people that this cruel sport has taken from us. So, in a word, no - I do NOT like accidents. Sorry if that makes me sad or boring.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 19:32 (Ref:431615)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
MimiMe are you talking about the Minardi's crashing at Monza in ninety-something of other? I think one of the drivers was Christian Fittipaldi.

That was 1993, but minime could also be talking about Patrases crash in 1992 at Estoril where he went over the back of Berger which was on the start/finish straight.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 21:11 (Ref:431710)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
So, in a word, no - I do NOT like accidents. Sorry if that makes me sad or boring.
If it makes you sad or boring, count me among the sad or boring.