Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:08 (Ref:1943806)   #1
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brocks records under threat?

As we all know, two of Peter perfects' all-time records have been surpassed this season.

JB reached 213 round starts at Wanneroo to be become the most capped driver, while Skaife won a record breaking 38th round victory at Eastern creek recently.

Lets take a look at the other records which Brock still holds:

Most Poles-

57 Peter Brock
41 Mark Skaife
39 Allan Moffat
28 Dick Johnson
25 John Bowe
19 Craig Lowndes
18 Marcos Ambrose
16 Jim Richards
14 Colin Bond
12 Greg Murphy
10 Ian Geoghegan, George Fury
9 Bob Jane, Glenn Seton, Jason Bright, Garth Tander
8 Allan Grice
5 Todd Kelly

Most Podium finishes-

100 Peter Brock
81 Mark Skaife
64 Dick Johnson
54 Glenn seton
52 Allan Moffat, John Bowe
51 Craig Lowndes
48 Jim Richards
34 Russell Ingall
33 Greg Murphy
31 Jason Bright
30 Colin Bond, Marcos Ambrose
27 Allan Grice
26 Ian Geoghegan
25 Tony Longhurst, Garth Tander, Todd Kelly
24 Bob Morris
21 Bob Jane, George Fury, Rick Kelly
20 Murray Carter

Most Bathurst 500/1000 Victories-

9 Peter Brock
7 Jim Richards
6 Larry Perkins
5 Mark Skaife
4 Allan Moffat, Greg Murphy
3 Dick Johnson

Most Sandown Victories-

9 Peter Brock
6 Allan Moffat
3 Larry Perkins, George Fury, John Bowe, Craig Lowndes

Given that Mark Skaife is entering the twilight years of his career, coupled with the ultra competitiveness of the current formula, does anyone think that Brockys records will ever be beaten?
Old 22 Jun 2007, 00:52 (Ref:1943824)   #2
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll stick my neck out here........

PB was far and above one of the best driver we have seen. But it must be recognised that during his period of the 70's/80's there wasn't anywhere near the same competition as there is now. Grids where small, the time difference between pole and 10th was more often than not measured in seconds and in some cases big seconds, today there are only barely tenths. Today we have the top 20 capable of winning, back then only the top 6 could win.

So to answer your question, doubt it very much that we will see Brock's awesome records get overtaken. I'm sure I'll start a debate...........
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1943828)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes might have a chance at the number of podiums depending on how much longer he drives - probably not long enough. I can't see the other records being surpassed but as the saying goes "never say never".
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:06 (Ref:1943830)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Head Rev i agree, with the current competitiveness (even with the way Clayton is performing at the moment), (not to take away anything that Brock did as he has done the most in Australian motorsport than most), i don't think the records will drop Skaifey is the only one with in sight of anything PB put on the record books and he is in the backend of his career now, the only one i could see fall is the podiums if Skaifey continues on for a few more years and is like Jimmy Richards and PB himself and has the best form in his 40's and also does a Rick and be ultra consistant in a top 3 position.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:29 (Ref:1943838)   #5
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with most of what has been said. All teams are more professional today where as back in Brocks day there were only a few big pro teams.

Skaife is the only one close but thats not to say that PB's records will never be broken. Look at F1. Many said Schumacher records wouldn't be broken for a long time (if ever). Then along comes a kid like Lewis Hamilton and all of a sudden Schuey's record doesnt seem so unattainable (I know its a big leap but not beyond belief)

To me though Brock was more than just records.

He probably has a lot to do with the level of professionalism of teams today.

He put motorsport into the mainstream spotlight & was a household name.

He had great mechanical sympathy for a car.

He had a great composure in a race car - Who can forget the live interviews with one arm on the sill.

And I doubt we will ever see the lap record set in any race on the last lap with an massive lead over the field.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:34 (Ref:1943840)   #6
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Lowndes might have a chance at the number of podiums depending on how much longer he drives - probably not long enough. I can't see the other records being surpassed but as the saying goes "never say never".
Some or all his records may eventually be broken but collectively by the one driver holding them all like he did?? Not likely to happen in my lifetime.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1943843)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik
Then along comes a kid like Lewis Hamilton and all of a sudden Schuey's record doesnt seem so unattainable (I know its a big leap but not beyond belief)
well he is using alot of Fernandos setup aparently and is it rookie luck ??? maybe maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik
To me though Brock was more than just records.

He probably has a lot to do with the level of professionalism of teams today.

He put motorsport into the mainstream spotlight & was a household name.

He had great mechanical sympathy for a car.

He had a great composure in a race car - Who can forget the live interviews with one arm on the sill.

And I doubt we will ever see the lap record set in any race on the last lap with an massive lead over the field.
records are there to be broken everything is improving day-by-day cars are getting faster, engineering is getting more technical, time difference is like 100th's of a second between 1 & 2, tenths seperate the whole 31 cars etc, PB's records might get broken but no-one will be able to be the next PB as a man and as a racer in my view.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 01:49 (Ref:1943846)   #8
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too agree with the above comments. Skaife is the only one anywhere near Brock's records. He started a long time ago and is nearing the end of his career. That brings up a question, will the current crop of drivers be around along as Skaife has been? It seems that with the way the sport is going with sponsorship, TV, spectators, the corporate world, that there is only a limited shelf time for a lot of drivers these days. Do you agree? How long will Lowndes be involved, the extra pressure of performing at the track and with all the corporate commitments, do they take there toll on current drivers? At some stage they may say, enough is enough and walk away from V8supercars and do other forms of racing. Things are a whole lot different than they were 25 years ago!!!
Old 22 Jun 2007, 02:23 (Ref:1943853)   #9
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IT depends what category replaces V8 Supercars.Do we really think it will go on till the end of time? The Australian Touring Car Championship,GroupC,GroupA,the old Series Production Bathurst and Sandown races -the Brock,Moffat,Jane etc statistics were gathered in several eras not just V8SC.Skaife could easily have 10 top years left in him-look at Brock,Perkins,Grice,Richards etc between age 40 and 50-on the pace and mentally tough.But where does he pick up stats if V8CS goes down (as it will)
Old 22 Jun 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1943856)   #10
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can not remember if it was in last weeks in the letter section of either EMNews or Auto Fiction, but someone did a comperise between , Brockie and Skaifey and for memory Brockie came out in front, but Skaifey rounds wins included Bathurst were Brock's did not.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 22 Jun 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1943882)   #11
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
so if PB's bathursts where included Skaife would still be 8 wins behind, wow.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:20 (Ref:1943912)   #12
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well unless Skaife gets a drive for next year, he wont be breaking any more records.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 07:22 (Ref:1943950)   #13
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not jsut Bathursts or Sandowns. You could also include the Endurance Championships that Brock won, as those rounds and the AATC rounds would roughly equate to 12-14 rounds. If that were the case, there'd be alot more than 37.

As I said a few weeks ago. Different Generations, Different Eras - but that shouldn't take away anything. People set records knowing they have broken another's record, and knowing that someone will break theirs one day. And as far as people go, I think that surpassing Brock's records would rate up there pretty high.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 07:30 (Ref:1943953)   #14
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not jsut Bathursts or Sandowns. You could also include the Endurance Championships that Brock won, as those rounds and the AATC rounds would roughly equate to 12-14 rounds. If that were the case, there'd be alot more than 37.

As I said a few weeks ago. Different Generations, Different Eras - but that shouldn't take away anything. People set records knowing they have broken another's record, and knowing that someone will break theirs one day. And as far as people go, I think that surpassing Brock's records would rate up there pretty high.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1944056)   #15
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JANE, GOEHGAN,BEECHY,CARTER, MOFFAT,GIBSON,BROCK,JOHSON,SKAIFE,SETON,AMBROSE etc , then along came Peter Brock.

A recall of the trail Blazers, where they all champions?
Did they put it on the line?
Who won the Amrstong 500 and the Gallagher 500?
Where was the first race run?

Yes Brockie was awesome, he set records and goals for drivers to come.
Alain Prost, Senna, Schuey, Fangio, Brabham,(only man to build and race and win), never forget them, but alas one day the records will be broken.
By whom and what date in the future? Who nows?
Just be thankful you were able to see them in action.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1944225)   #16
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
JANE, GOEHGAN,BEECHY,CARTER, MOFFAT,GIBSON,BROCK,JOHSON,SKAIFE,SETON,AMBROSE etc , then along came Peter Brock.

Alain Prost, Senna, Schuey, Fangio, Brabham,(only man to build and race and win), never forget them, but alas one day the records will be broken.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1944261)   #17
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco

well said, Thats Gold , couldn't have said it better.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1946013)   #18
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
Thats a good point, but remember Brocky did enter 212 events vs Skaifes 193.

If their were more rounds during the Marlboro HDT days... The tally could have been a Black Caps cricket score...
Old 25 Jun 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1946159)   #19
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
no it's a black caps score now it would of been an Aussie score if there was more rounds .