Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Mar 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2153407)   #1
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chev Monza Sports Sedans

I am trying to work out exactly how many Chev Monzas there were racing in Australia through the years.

These 4 are kind of clear(ish).

1) Jane Monza built by Pat Purcell, sold to Alan Brown in 84 and then onto Thommo in 85. Became the Supra, sold to Des who still owns it.
2) Allan Moffats IMSA. Sold in 1981 to Paul Jones then Neil Brain in 1983 and then sold off OS but in what year??
3) Briggs K&A car. Sold to Jeff Barnes in 83 who raced in it through to 94. Still owned by Jeff or was it sold??
4) John White's. Owned from 81 to 91 at least.

but which of these are one and the same Monza's.

- John Pollard in the early 80's
- Whincup in 1980
- Whincup had another in early 2000 which I assume is now the car owned by Voight and previiously owned by Darryl Seidl. But is this different to the car he originally had in the early 80's or were they the same car?
- John Chambers in 1981 through to - ?
- Bob Blacklaw in 1989
- Mike Imrie owned one in 87 and possibly the same Monza through to 94
- Mauric Pickering in 1994 was racing a Monza at selected events
- Geoff Munday in 1984.

Have I missed any. There appears to be at least 6 to me.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2153433)   #2
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were two in NZ that would have more than likely ended up in OZ.
Red Dawson's
Art McKee's

Last edited by I16; 16 Mar 2008 at 10:49.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2153443)   #3
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last time I saw Graeme Whincup's Monza it was on the floor at Stucky's in Sydney Rd Brunswick, still in QANTAS livery.

Maybe 4 or 5 years ago ?

JD is that the car you think is Voight's ?

Any help in this thread
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2153974)   #4
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Camaroz will be lurking somewhere and chime in. He is the real authority on these things.

But I can say the Moffat car was a DeKon Monza, as was the Red Dawson car. Dawsons car is the Briggs/Barnes car. Barnes no longer owns it. I think this might be chassis # 1001, rebuilt with later bodywork as per Moffats, following a crash. When Dawson purchased the car, it had a shorter wheelbase on one side than the other!

The Art McKee car was built by US speedway chassis builder Grant King. McKee only raced it for one season, then sold it to Aus.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2153984)   #5
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, forgot to add, McKee sold his car to John Pollard. It was also owned by John Chambers, Rowan Harman, Geoff Munday, Mike Imrie, and Chris Fing.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2154080)   #6
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Bob Jane Monza

There were two, maybe three, versions of the Bob Jane car. We have researched the origin of the original kit brought in from the USA.

As mentioned Camaroz is the man on this subject, together with Thunder427 (last seen revisiting his long departed youth in the South Island).
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2154123)   #7
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm fairly sure Whincup built his own, his bodywork was more streamlined than the American versions and it had several mechanical innivations as well. Somewhere in my mountains of magazines from the era, there is a full story on the build.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2154135)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So which of the "4" is This One??
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2154166)   #9
ssracer
Rookie

ssracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
So which of the "4" is This One??
Wincup had it for many many years and sold it to Voight
It had a 4 speed LG in it when sold by Wincup.

Long shot but i think one of the saab's is an ex Monza
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2154187)   #10
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
Whincup definitely built his own in 79. It was racing under Esselite sponsorship and appeared on the RCN cover around 1980 / 81 with an article about the car.
The car was built by John Riordan from a wreck brought in from the states.

This however I am sure is different to the car he raced in the early 90’s which I think GTR is the current Voight car for sale on My105 that is located in the Brock Museum. That car appears to be more like the other Monza that John Riordan built for Darryl Seidl that Brock was to race in selected events in the IMSA series.

So if what you are saying is correct Steve than there was definitely at least 6 of them

1) Jane Monza built by Pat Purcell, sold to Alan Brown in 84 and then onto Thommo in 85. Became the Supra, sold to Des who still owns it.
2) Allan Moffats IMSA. Sold in 1981 to Paul Jones then Neil Brain in 1983 and then sold off OS but in what year??
3) Briggs K&A car. Sold to Jeff Barnes in 83 who raced in it through to 94. Sold off by Jeff to??
5) McKee Car. Sold to John Pollard. It was also owned by John Chambers, Rowan Harman, Geoff Munday, Mike Imrie, and Chris Fing
6) Darryl Siedle Car. That may have been owned by Whincup and now the Voight car. I have a feeling that Mike Imrie may have also owned this car as well at one stage.

But which is the Bob Blacklaw and Maurice Pickering cars?. Are they part of the 6 or additional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
As mentioned Camaroz is the man on this subject
(Camaroz may have some of them tucked away in a shed. He was looking for a couple of them last year wasn't he …)
Old 16 Mar 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2154244)   #11
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The John White car was sold to Jeff Osborne at Colourscan in late 1992/early 1993 for Danny Osborne to drive. It was campaigned pretty successfully by the Colourscan team during their ownership.

This car was subsequently sold to Maurice Pickering. Not sure what happened to it from there, I think it had a hit or two in Pickering's hands.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 17 Mar 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2154293)   #12
ASSA Member
Racer

ASSA Member should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssracer
Long shot but i think one of the saab's is an ex Monza
I've also read this in a feature story about detailing when Mike Imrie first built the black Saab (to replace his blue one that Dean Randle then raced later). Apparenty the Saab used some of the running gear out of the Monza that Imirie had run at the Adeliade F1 GP support race some years earlier. If memory serves me correct the Thundersports ran with the AGP in 1994 and Imires black Saab hit the track in 1996.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2155128)   #13
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
Whincup definitely built his own in 79. It was racing under Esselite sponsorship and appeared on the RCN cover around 1980 / 81 with an article about the car.
The car was built by John Riordan from a wreck brought in from the states.

This however I am sure is different to the car he raced in the early 90’s which I think GTR is the current Voight car for sale on My105 that is located in the Brock Museum. That car appears to be more like the other Monza that John Riordan built for Darryl Seidl that Brock was to race in selected events in the IMSA series.

So if what you are saying is correct Steve than there was definitely at least 6 of them

3) Briggs K&A car. Sold to Jeff Barnes in 83 who raced in it through to 94. Sold off by Jeff to??
5) McKee Car. Sold to John Pollard. It was also owned by John Chambers, Rowan Harman, Geoff Munday, Mike Imrie, and Chris Fing
6) Darryl Siedle Car. That may have been owned by Whincup and now the Voight car. I have a feeling that Mike Imrie may have also owned this car as well at one stage.

But which is the Bob Blacklaw and Maurice Pickering cars?. Are they part of the 6 or additional?
All the above is pretty right.

1) The Jane car is now the Des Wall Supra.
2) Moff's car went from Neil Brain to John Tessarario (spelling?) before going to, I think - Atlanta Georgia. It has since been purchased by its current owner on the West Coast and is being restored to its "4th July 1976 Sandown livery". I have regular contact with the owner.
3) The Briggs K&A car went to Mike Griffin then Barnes and is now with its current owner in NSW.
4) John White's car went to Colourscan and then Pickering. Not sure of its whereabouts now.
5) I have the McKee car.
6) The Seidel Monza, the GE car was sold to Imrie and has become the SAAB.
7) Whincup's original "Rotex" or "Esselte Dymo" Monza. I have the car with its original panels and moulds. Unfortunately the original chassis has been extensivley modified and no running gear. Graham has told me he some bits left but I haven't followed up on that.
8) Whincup's GE Monza. Built alongside the Seidel car, Graham ran it a few times the it was sold to Voight and is the car now representing Peter Brock's Bob Jane Monza days at Peter Champion's "Brock Experience". This car was recently on the market.

The Bob Blacklaw car????? Never heard of it. Any more info?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2155204)   #14
mattsixlt
Rookie

mattsixlt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The John Wite 001 chassis Monza now lives in a shop front in Newcastle. I doubt if the car will see the track again. I tried to buy the car back last year after finding it's whereabouts but the new owner wasn't interested.

The only change ( apart from being engine-less) is a dual plane rear wing after we blew the original apart at Eastern Creek. Have a few pics i'll post soon.

I seen the Bob Blacklaw car run Amaroo a few times in the late 80's. Looked more like a speedway Grand National. Word was he ran the car as both.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 03:55 (Ref:2155302)   #15
ASSA Member
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
The Bob Blacklaw car????? Never heard of it. Any more info?
Last I saw of this car car running was at Amaroo in 1992/1993, don't think it saw much action after that. I think it mainly raced at state level, usually ran in the top ten.
At one meeting Blacklaw actually ran the Bob Tindall VL Commodore Sport Sedan and after starting up the back of the pack carved his way through to the front, was pretty good to watch!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 06:11 (Ref:2155331)   #16
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
Sooo...... (correct me if I am wrong)

This is the car that Whincup was selling in 2002 and is now Voights car

This is the original John White car and eventually Maurcie Pickering Monza that was for sale in the mid 90's and is now in Newcastle

And if Mike Imrie was originally selling this, then I assume there was a change of plans and this car is now technically the Black Saab or alternatively this is the McKee car?.
(This advert is from when it was for sale in 95).

Old 18 Mar 2008, 06:55 (Ref:2155339)   #17
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think Blacklaw owned the Moff car either before or after Brain - ex speedway, dont think he enjoyed the black track.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2155350)   #18
ASSA Member
Racer

Awesome work that you have kept those cutouts JD Yort!
Have you got anymore old Sport Sedans ads from the past (sorry for the off topic) but it is amazing how many of these cars just drop off the face of the earth!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2155373)   #19
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Along time a go, about 1981 maybe 1982 ther was a sport sedan race at Adelaide International Raceway. There was 2 Monza's at this race. John Briggs brown model and a Sky Blue Monza. I can't remember who had this car. Can anybody help. Is this the John Chambers car mentioned in the first post as I cannot remember this car.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2155394)   #20
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Wall Supra is the former Bob Jane Monza, is it still running the Weismann transmission that Pat Purcell constructed it with?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2155462)   #21
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMax
Along time a go, about 1981 maybe 1982 ther was a sport sedan race at Adelaide International Raceway. There was 2 Monza's at this race. John Briggs brown model and a Sky Blue Monza. I can't remember who had this car. Can anybody help. Is this the John Chambers car mentioned in the first post as I cannot remember this car.
The Robert's owned Monza that Briggs drove did run a Powder Blue/Dark Blue paint scheme when it first ran here in maybe late 1981 or 1982, it came from NZ as a white car. Moff's was the only Brown Car as the "Federation Insurance - Camel Filters" entry. I don't know if this was Moff (would have been one of his last runs in the car) or when Paul Jones first bought it!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2155469)   #22
Camaroz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort

And if Mike Imrie was originally selling this, then I assume there was a change of plans and this car is now technically the Black Saab or alternatively this is the McKee car?.
(This advert is from when it was for sale in 95).

As the Ad says, "body shell"

Mike still has the Seidel Monza Body and bits as advertised here!!! These were the bits left over from the SAAB build.
The McKee car is intact.

Last edited by Camaroz; 18 Mar 2008 at 10:29.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 11:23 (Ref:2155506)   #23
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
The Robert's owned Monza that Briggs drove did run a Powder Blue/Dark Blue paint scheme when it first ran here in maybe late 1981 or 1982, it came from NZ as a white car. Moff's was the only Brown Car as the "Federation Insurance - Camel Filters" entry. I don't know if this was Moff (would have been one of his last runs in the car) or when Paul Jones first bought it!
Thanks Camaroz, the brown monza did not have Moffat driving it, I would have remembered that. So maybe it was one of the first races that Paul Jones had in it. The blue one was as you descibed powder blue or sky blue/dark blue. Neither car was up the front. I can't remember much else about this race. I think Clem Smith was there in his Charger and might have ran a place.