Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 Dec 2002, 15:41 (Ref:444306)   #1
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray Walker

Anyone got any thoughts on the old man of commentary?

I couldn't help laugh at his new book - anyone else spot the error on one of the photo captions?

It was great though to read one of his favourite forms of motor racing is RALLYCROSS (Yes!)
Old 6 Dec 2002, 19:50 (Ref:444530)   #2
Namlot
Rookie

Namlot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have only read bits of the book in the shop but hopefully I have dropped enough hints so that I will be able to read it on the 25th
Old 6 Dec 2002, 19:59 (Ref:444535)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Waterstones are now selling the book at half price - £9.49
Old 7 Dec 2002, 04:38 (Ref:444822)   #4
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have bought the book had I gone to Indianapolis this year, because he would have been there to sign autographs and such oh well, suppose I could buy it online.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 11:18 (Ref:444952)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gnomex: whats the error?
Old 7 Dec 2002, 11:38 (Ref:444958)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You won't like it Hakkigirl - it's BTCC related...
Old 7 Dec 2002, 11:40 (Ref:444959)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed one big error.

He says the Mansell banging his head on the girder incident happened in Portugal in 1990.

Wrong Murray.

It was in Austria in 1987.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 12:20 (Ref:444977)   #8
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Hakkiman, I reckon the photo of Graham Hathaways rallycross car is not at Lydden - I think its Brands Hatch. Anyone confirm this?
Old 7 Dec 2002, 12:23 (Ref:444981)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Well it seems there is a list of 'Murrayisms' in the book... deliberate ?
Old 7 Dec 2002, 13:42 (Ref:445028)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't read it yet and I'm not buying it. I think Santa may have a copy for me........
Old 7 Dec 2002, 18:49 (Ref:445169)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm afraid I have to say I'm not a massive fan of the guy. His 'Murrey-isms' just became annoying over the years and he developed a strange fanaticism towards Michael Schumacher which alienated me from him even more!
Old 7 Dec 2002, 20:02 (Ref:445205)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Read the book Damon - is that your name or are you a DH fan ? - and you'll read his answer to that criticism!
Old 7 Dec 2002, 20:43 (Ref:445223)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am DH fan, my real name's Nathan!! Aside from that though, I couldn't help but feel that during his later years at ITV his commenteries became somewhat dumbed down and gimmicky when compared to his style whilst on the BBC. I doubt this was his fault mind, merely ITV's way of trying to attract new viewers I guess.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 20:55 (Ref:445230)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Well if you're a Damon fan you'll know all about how hard he found it at times to keep a lid on his excitement! People used to say he was biased towards 'Our Nige' but that was not a patch on how he commentated on Damon...

And, yes, I suspect you are right about the change in his commentary over the years. Though I wonder what difference the loss of his partner, Hunt, and then Imola 94 had on things ?
Old 7 Dec 2002, 21:35 (Ref:445241)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think i remember Murray commentating on the BBC @ Spa 1995 where Damon and Michael had that big fight, wasn't too hard to figure out on who's side Murray was.

I don't know about Murray losing his style at ITV, since the last time i heard him was at that particular race at Spa...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 7 Dec 2002 at 21:38.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 14:55 (Ref:446998)   #16
Balgair
Rookie

United Kingdom
Balgair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been a big Murray fan ever since I first started watching F1 back in 1994... haven't actually had a chance to read the book yet, as I've been away for the last week, but I bought a copy just before I went away, and had the pleasure of listening to the man himself talking about some of the many races he's seen, among other things, at an event in Edinburgh last week - I'm an even bigger fan now! Also got my book signed after the interview was over, and that was great to be able to speak to him face to face for a minute - great guy

Last edited by Balgair; 10 Dec 2002 at 14:55.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 21:12 (Ref:447246)   #17
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
What did you ask him?
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:46 (Ref:447559)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm pleased to say I've met him too, in the paddock at Thruxton a few years ago at a BTCC/F3 day. Got him to sign my programme, together with Coulthard, Barrichello, Stewart (Jackie) and a host of other F3 and BTCC drivers. It was a good day.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 13:02 (Ref:447572)   #19
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He says that Mansell retired after winning his final Grand Prix with Williams in 1994 in Adelaide.

What about McLaren then Muddly???
Old 11 Dec 2002, 13:10 (Ref:447583)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing

I guess as Nige was so bad in the McLaren it doesn't really count.......
Old 11 Dec 2002, 21:55 (Ref:447904)   #21
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I'm pleased to say I've met him too, in the paddock at Thruxton a few years ago at a BTCC/F3 day. Got him to sign my programme, together with Coulthard, Barrichello, Stewart (Jackie) and a host of other F3 and BTCC drivers. It was a good day.
Just a good day?
Old 11 Dec 2002, 22:06 (Ref:447925)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have not read the book - I should be getting in 13 days time as a Christmas present.....................
Old 17 Dec 2002, 13:15 (Ref:451825)   #23
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JR Ewing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mansell has alwaus said that he has not retired
Old 17 Dec 2002, 14:04 (Ref:451842)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by woodbine
Mansell has alwaus said that he has not retired

There's always the new one-make zimmer racing championship - he might get a drive in that.....
Old 25 Dec 2002, 23:02 (Ref:457377)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in the middle of watching the '95 BTVC season review video and i have to say Murray's commentary is great, he knows all the cars and drivers, he goes right through the field and he has so much enthusiasm. Actually the telecast quality could teach Channel Ten a thing or three.