Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Feb 2003, 15:39 (Ref:505475)   #1
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why no Mosler at Sebring??

Why arent there any Moslers in the Sebring 12 hours?

I mean, they are in practicly every GT series across the world, and a quite good.
They would make a wonderful GT class car........and if more modified a good GTS class car.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 16:03 (Ref:505511)   #2
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I don't think its ACO homologated is it?
Old 13 Feb 2003, 16:05 (Ref:505514)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
At the moment I don't think the Mosler complies with ACO regulations, so can't run at Le Mans or in the ALMS.

I think I've read somewhere that they're working on this for the future- also it hasn't yet been accepted by the FIA, so can't run in the FIA series in Europe yet either?
Old 13 Feb 2003, 16:08 (Ref:505519)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
I don't think its ACO homologated is it?
You must have posted that just as I was typing.....

Any idea what the problem is with the Mosler for the ACO- presumably it isn't production numbers, or they'd be able to run in restricted form like the Saleen and Spyker have in the past, so it must be something to do with the actual spec of the car- any suggestions?
Old 13 Feb 2003, 17:38 (Ref:505601)   #5
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Gunman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
You must have posted that just as I was typing.....

Any idea what the problem is with the Mosler for the ACO- presumably it isn't production numbers, or they'd be able to run in restricted form like the Saleen and Spyker have in the past, so it must be something to do with the actual spec of the car- any suggestions?
Last year it was the 70% windshield width rule that kept the MT900R out of ACO, but that changed this year. Now I believe its just a matter of getting the forms, and documentation submitted, and having the car looked at again (with some minor technical changes to the car).
Old 13 Feb 2003, 19:36 (Ref:505666)   #6
IanGrohse
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunman
Last year it was the 70% windshield width rule that kept the MT900R out of ACO, but that changed this year. Now I believe its just a matter of getting the forms, and documentation submitted, and having the car looked at again (with some minor technical changes to the car).
Whats the 70% windshield rule?

As far as the production numbers, havent they produced quite a few more road cars, and a bunch more race cars than Saleen?
It seems like there are a bunch of Moslers.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 02:23 (Ref:506049)   #7
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by IanGrohse
Whats the 70% windshield rule?

As far as the production numbers, havent they produced quite a few more road cars, and a bunch more race cars than Saleen?
It seems like there are a bunch of Moslers.
The rule was that the windshield had to be 70% of the overall width of the car.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 04:46 (Ref:506106)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might be the sequential gearbox that is the problem with the Mosler
Old 14 Feb 2003, 12:37 (Ref:506415)   #9
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
It might be the sequential gearbox that is the problem with the Mosler
The MT900 is available with a non-sequential Porsche gearbox too.

I suspect it will be approved soon, but will face some restrictions, similar to the Saleen S7R, until the minimum of 25 cars (with only 25% being racecars), and the delivery of certified streetcars on 2 continents is met.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 16:28 (Ref:506628)   #10
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Gunman is right.

I wonder if it will be a GT or GTS car for the ACO/FIA?

Next year they will be running in GT again in Grand Am and so I bet it will be GT in ACO/FIA events as well.

Racing against Maserati "Enzo",Zondas and maybe Porsche Carrera GTs might be a bit more than they are ready for. That said, there is no reason why a GTS version could not be made to be competitive.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 16:37 (Ref:506633)   #11
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be a GT car if it were homologated, but if it weren't for GTS then the sequential gearbox would not be a problem since they are legal in GTS this year. I think it boils down to production numbers. They've made very few cars, probably less than Saleen, but that's just a guess... The problem with the restrictions could be the degree to which they are restricted. Like BMW, Mosler might not want to compete because they may be so nailed down by penalties that the car could not be competitive. I hope it all gets cleared up because i'd love to see the Mosler in a stronger North American series than Grand-Am.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 16:39 (Ref:506637)   #12
danhx
Racer

I'm not sure it was the 70 percent windshield rule that kept it out last year either because the Morgan was in clear violation of that rule but the ACO ignored it. That may have just been for the novely of having a Morgan back at Le Mans, though...Politics are everywhere...
Old 14 Feb 2003, 18:49 (Ref:506771)   #13
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 70% windshield rule was changed between 2001 and 2002, so the Morgan was not in violation of it. I hear the Mosler is to be homologated by the ACO this year sometime.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 21:29 (Ref:506951)   #14
IanGrohse
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by danhx
I think it would be a GT car if it were homologated, but if it weren't for GTS then the sequential gearbox would not be a problem since they are legal in GTS this year. I think it boils down to production numbers. They've made very few cars, probably less than Saleen, but that's just a guess... The problem with the restrictions could be the degree to which they are restricted. Like BMW, Mosler might not want to compete because they may be so nailed down by penalties that the car could not be competitive. I hope it all gets cleared up because i'd love to see the Mosler in a stronger North American series than Grand-Am.

No .....whats sad is that it may seem as if they have made less cars than Saleen.......when in fact I think they have actually produced FAR more road and race MT900s than Saleen has produced of the S7. But the Saleen gets the press, even though the Mosler is a better car IMO.

Last edited by IanGrohse; 14 Feb 2003 at 21:29.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 12:36 (Ref:507516)   #15
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
I think the car count is very close, anyone have an accurate count of Saleen S7's and S7R's?

Saleen gets far more press, and repainted their original silver prototype 6 times (silver, yellow, orange, lizstick red, chameleon.grey, and back to silver), which helped create teh illusion of more cars. I'm only aware of a yellow, lizstick red, and silver streetcar that have been built since (plust their crash car(s). S7R's...Park PLace, Graham Nash, Konrad (2?), and???

Mosler has the original silver prototype, the yellow 'photon', and a burgandy streeycar, plus their crash car. MT900R's are owned by Rollcentre(2), Boston Motorsports (1), Perspective Racing(1), Inspire Racing (1), Mach Go Go(1)(in Japan), another one for Britan is waiting delivery, and one under construction. Total of 12, 3 street, 9 race.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 12:52 (Ref:507528)   #16
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunman
I think the car count is very close, anyone have an accurate count of Saleen S7's and S7R's?

S7R's...Park PLace, Graham Nash, Konrad (2?), and???

rough count of race cars- Konrad have 2, Park Place had 2, Graham Nash has 3, maybe 4 (certainly ran 3 on occasion in British GT's last year)- any more?
Old 15 Feb 2003, 15:07 (Ref:507631)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The Saleen car count is enough. There was an issue that need to be taken care of, though I can't recall what that was. Remember though, Saleen just needs 10 cars (GTS) while Mosler needs 25 (GT).

http://www.moslerauto.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

This question has been posed to them several times, and Mosler doesn't seem inclined at the moment to provide any answers. I asked on Monday morning, but no response as of yet. Feel free to watch to see if there are any responses, or add your 2cents to the questions.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 16:44 (Ref:507699)   #18
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Nash have three complete S7R's, but they went through quite a few spares last year - they probably have enough parts to build another two!!!
Old 15 Feb 2003, 17:45 (Ref:507730)   #19
danhx
Racer

I know that Saleen has delivered at least a couple street S7s because i read a news article about the first customer delivery sometime during the summer...Then again that could be the only one. I heard a rumor that they took the original street car that they debuted to the public and turned it into one of the first race cars.
Old 16 Feb 2003, 03:31 (Ref:508279)   #20
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by danhx
I heard a rumor that they took the original street car that they debuted to the public and turned it into one of the first race cars.
The original silver car was sold at the Barret-Jackson auction last year. I believe the owner lives in Oklahoma.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 12:30 (Ref:509428)   #21
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
http://www.moslerauto.com/wwwboard/messages/1147.html

Posted by Warren Mosler on February 16, 2003 at 22:42:07:

In Reply to: Homologation posted by Brett Harrington on February 14, 2003 at 11:44:26:

: Are you still attempting to get the Molser homologated for ACO?

Yes.

: Is it being homologated for GTS or GT?

Probably GTS.

: IF, it is being homologated, when can we hope to see one in the ALMS?

Not sure. Hopefully soon.

: Thanks
Old 12 Mar 2003, 16:37 (Ref:533970)   #22
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
http://www.moslerauto.com/wwwboard/messages/1169.html

Posted by Warren Mosler (65.113.90.214) on March 12, 2003 at 09:13:10:

Tommy Morrison met with ACO officials and
reported that subject to further inspections