Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: What influnces you o buy a car the most?
on-road performance 8 36.36%
bench racing kw outputs 1 4.55%
safety 0 0%
fuel consumption 1 4.55%
styling 1 4.55%
reliability 2 9.09%
size/comfort 1 4.55%
towing ability 3 13.64%
resale 2 9.09%
other 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Aug 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1082520)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What makes you buy a car?

What influences you to buy a car the most?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 31 Aug 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1082672)   #2
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest it's Price.
It has to be good value for money, after that it's resale (money again) and then safety followed by on road performance. I've never bought a car that I did'nt feel comfortable driving though.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1082751)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't pick a single one. For me performance, reliability, comfort/luxury and initial cost are the key factors. I seem to jump back and forth between big luxury barges and reasonably practical performance cars. One day I'll be able to afford something that combines the two. Or two cars...
Old 31 Aug 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1082844)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Money.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1082966)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We've gone down the 'Horses For Courses' route- we have a family barge for when all three of us travel or for towing / load lugging and we have a smaller 2+2 for my wife's commuting and for travelling with less than 3 of us. We can all fit in it at a pinch but not for a long run. It's also a fun car to drive, but not as much fun as the 3'rd car which performs no function other than being fun- the excuse is that we can't all fit in one sports car so obviosly we need 2 of them for summer family motoring fun.
I suppose the one which will be replaced at some point is the family barge, a 1984 2.3l Granada so we'll be influenced by size, comfort and towing ability.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1083128)   #6
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If nobody says image, they are lying I have a ute at the moment, so practicality I suppose followed by a bit of image as it is top of the range and has V6!!!!!!
Old 31 Aug 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1083191)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It comes with the job...
Old 31 Aug 2004, 22:28 (Ref:1083234)   #8
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the all of the above choice. In the end it comes down to what I thought was value for money.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1083822)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Insurance, at my age.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1084089)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
price, resale value, individuality, style.

eg the car i have at the moment i can sell for more than i bought it for, it's a limited edition (and so a limited colour, and interior), and it looks brilliant. job done. i'm struggling to find something to replace it with.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1084468)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In no particular order, towing ability, comfort, number of seats, luggage space, reliability, performance, handling, price, availability of parts and service, looks, image/reputation, colour.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1084823)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Normally value for money first for me, then performance and then safety, reliabilty is also a issue but towing isnt a issue. Although I have seen a couple of MK3 Supra's towing caravans, its quite a heavy car at 1600kg.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 02:22 (Ref:1085485)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on-road performance - Of course
bench racing kw outputs - yes, butI don't mind if it's a little low, it could be improved on if it's a good engine.
safety - I guess...I don't buy little cars, I feel unsafe in them (especially with my g/f's driving).
fuel consumption - Not hugely, as long as I get better than 13L/100km then I'm happy.
styling - Well der
reliability - Of course.
size/comfort - As long as it's not small, needs ok comfort, or at least to be easily improved on (eg: fitting higher model seats)
towing ability - Never towed anything with my car yet, not not really a factor, but since I get cars that are at least medium sized they shouldn't have too bad towing capacity)
resale - Not really

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Sep 2004, 02:32 (Ref:1085492)   #14
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On road performance was my first choice but an equall second is something that i don't think anybody in this thread mentioned.

BUILD QUALITY
Old 6 Sep 2004, 02:10 (Ref:1087790)   #15
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have one of each, thank you.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1088000)   #16
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Realibility is the first consideration. Who wants to be breaking down?
Old 6 Sep 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1088596)   #17
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another consideration here is : winter traction ! After several winters of dangerously sliding around in the RWD Mustang , I bought a FWD SVT Focus as a daily driver. With Blizzak snow tires and traction control, it's a great winter car.The Mustang comes out on sunny summer days..
Old 8 Sep 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1090370)   #18
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My family and I have brought Mazda's for over 25yrs and have been extremely happy so badge loyalty...
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1103033)   #19
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Price of course!! If it wasn't for that I'd buy the neighbour's Audi S3 (and it's black....*drool*).

Once I have the money the next issue would be how cheap it is to run. That not only means that it has to be very fuel efficient but it won't be asking for spare parts every now and then. price of the spare parts is an issue too but if expensive spares means that I'll only be needing them once every 2 years or so instead of cheap spares every couple of months then I'll go with the most expensive (which is what happens with my current car).

Finally, brand and origin are quite important. I know they have improved a lot but right now I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Korean car no matter how cheap it is. Quite frankly, I'd prefer if a car comes from France, Germany or Japan.

Just for reference. I drive a Peugeot (and quite happy). Auto brands in the family: Many Renaults, many Mazdas, a Suzuki and a couple of Fiats (both were a disaster).
Old 28 Sep 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1109759)   #20
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks,handling,prestige & quality,power,comfort,cost & economy in that order!
Old 5 Oct 2004, 23:39 (Ref:1116457)   #21
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends:

My "family car" : comfort, fuel economy

My "Track day" car : speed, handling and cheap parts

Simon.

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"