Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 11 Feb 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2394524)   #1
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some Sad News - Tony O'Reilly

It is with the deepest sorrow that we inform you of the death of Tony O'Reilly.

Tony was one of the founder members of the MRMCI back in 1967. For the last 40 years, Tony has been one of the stalwarts of Irish marshalling as a marshal, chief marshal, head of the MRMCI, head of the MMA (Motorcycle Marshals Association), pillar member of the Leinster club and a mentor and friend to three generations of marshals.

His smiling face, unending patience, wisdom and sheer enthusiasm for the sport were what kept many of us going back to Mondello even when things were not going well. For Terri and myself, Tony was the shining example of what it meant to be a marshal and give everything to the sport. He was also our friend.

It's hard to imagine a world without Tony and marshalling is never going to be quite the same without him.

We would like to extend our heartfelt sympathies to the O'Reilly family - and to his motorsport family, which he readily made us a part of from the first day we met him.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
Old 11 Feb 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2395371)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Sad news indeed. One of the nicest people I've ever met - within five minutes of meeting Tony you felt you were with an old friend.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2395372)   #3
Brian Mac
Teabagging Is My Life
Racer

United Kingdom
Maccy-Ds Hut, Kirkistown
Brian Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On behalf of myself and other members of the BMMC up the North,
we extend our sympathys to the OReilly family and friends.
I only met and marshalled with Tony a couple of times in Dublin,
but he left memories with me.
His knowledge and experience will be missed, what he didnt know about the sport probably wasnt important.
RIP Tony.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2395453)   #4
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats very sad indeed. I remember himself and Phylis very well as my father, along with Paddy Healy and Barney Manley, was also a founder member of the MRMCI.

RIP Tony.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2395485)   #5
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Truly a man dedicated to marshalling. Made going across to Mondello a pleasure.
Condolences to his family. RIP
Old 11 Feb 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2395496)   #6
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 11 Feb 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2395533)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Met Tony several times a few years ago and he was always so welcoming and good company. Sad news.

Jim
Old 11 Feb 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2395546)   #8
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My condolences to his family and friends and I'll miss you at the Leinster meeting.

Last edited by KayBee; 11 Feb 2009 at 17:09.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2395657)   #9
ger.taxi
Rookie

ger.taxi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good bye my freind

i met tony a long time ago, in 1973 i started marshalling with the mrmci, tony helped all the young and up coming guys in motorsport, come hail rain and snow, he would be there, when i travelled we went to the meeting in two old ambulances, a vw and a big austin ,, these would be packed with everything we needed, flags, grappling hooks, etc etc,and also the bodies to marshal, even the silver fire suits, in some ways we enjoyed the best days of our lives, there was always a cup of tea on hand, phylis and the gang were always there with a smile, then there were the dinner dances, tony there with a small one in his hands,these were good years, its hard to imagine where time has gone, i never got to say good bye, tony thanks for all your help, you are now with the love of your life, your good wife phylis , may you rest in peace

cheers
gerry hyland

say hello to phylis for me
Old 11 Feb 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2395671)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was terribly upset to hear this news from Leo earlier this morning. Others knew him only in his capacity as a marshal, but I have known Tony since I was a small child. He, Phylis and their large family lived in Orchardstown Avenue, literally around the corner from where I grew up in Ballyroan. I hung out with their kids, we all grew up together. Their door was always open and their friendliness knew no bounds. I could spend hours tonight recounting stories of Tony... and replaying stories Tony recounted to me. He was the seanchaÃ* of motorsport in Ireland and with good reason as he'd probably been to almost every race meeting in the country over many decades. Its very true that what Tony didn't know about motorsport wasn't worth knowing.

However the fondest memory I have of Tony was at the wheel of his decal laden maroon Peugeot 404 estate. Whether it was on the roads around Ballyroan, or as a course car on the track at Mondello, or the Phoenix Park, Tony drove that Peugeot [and its successor the blue 504 estate] as if he was racing it. And anyone who had the chance to sit next to Tony in the 'cockpit' will know how serious he took it too. He meant business.

Tony was truely a legend in Irish Motorsport. His contribution to marshaling and the formation of the sport as we know it today in Ireland is incalcuable. What's more he did it from the bottom up, by marshaling weekend in weekend out, in all weathers, for decade upon decade.

Tony knew everyone... and everyone knew and loved him. You'll seriously struggle to find a single person who had a bad word to say about him and on this day, the world is a lot worse for his passing.

Tony, may God bless you. I was privileged to be a friend.

Old 11 Feb 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2395732)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Tony's removal from Masseys Funeral Home in Tempelogue is on Friday at 5 pm for service in Church of the Holy Spirit, Ballyroan, Rathfarnam. Funeral mass will be on Saturday morning at 10am burial afterwards in Bohernabreena Cemetary

The family have requested donations in Lieu of flowers
Donations can be made to the following
DSI
Irish Kidney Association
Injured Riders Fund

Tony's brother, 2 sisters, children Cormac, Ultan, Orla, Eanna, Ciarán and Maeve and his 12 grandchildren wish to thank all those that have been in contact and are very appreciative of your support over this period.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2395816)   #12
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very sad day

On behalf of all our staff here at Anglesey Circuit may I pass on our sincere condolences to Tony's family and friends. He will be sadly missed by all that had the pleasure of his company.
Terry
Old 12 Feb 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2396356)   #13
Mad Mattie
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Mad Mattie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony will be sadly missed. My deepest sympathy to all of his family.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2398576)   #14
USA Marshal
Rookie

United States
Connecticut, USA
USA Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is with particular sadness that I learned of Tony O'Reilly's passing coming so close to that of Tony's wife Phyllis. Among so many others in Irish motorsport and marshaling, I owe my start in the sport to Tony & Phyllis and spent many an evening in their house chatting over a cup of tea. Tony was a true gentleman and had endless patience for all those new to marshaling. My deepest sympathies go out to Maebh, Ciaran, Orla, Ultan and Eanna and their families. May he rest in peace.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2399649)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
There's an obituary in today's ( 18/2) Motorsport News (page 7)
Old 19 Oct 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2564947)   #16
allang
Rookie

allang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP TONY

So sorry to hear this sad news.
Ilost interest in car racing for a few years and only recently learnt of Tony and his good wife Philis sad passing.
They were both very genuine people,in fact as someone posted earlier,you would never have heard a bad word said about them.
Ihave many fond memories of being "picked up" in Dublin city centre early on a sunday morming and brought to mondello for a great day marshalling.
Sincere condolances to all his family and friends.
Alan Langton.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2825364)   #17
Liam Dowling
Rookie

Ireland
Noss Mayo, Devon, UK
Liam Dowling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony + Phyllis O'Reilly

I have been away a long time and not in touch with any of my old mates at MRMCI. I was really sad to hear of both Tony and Phyllis passing away. They were an inspiration to me. I first met them on the Mondello stand at the Irish motor Show (can't remember the year). They enrolled me in the club and helped me in every way in the club.
I can remember both of them organising lifts for me to and from Mondello and hillclimbs with competitors.
They were so friendly and always welcoming when you called into their home.
They both will be sadly missed.
My regards to all the family. It was a privilege to know your Ma+Da.

Liam Dowling
Old 3 Feb 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2825391)   #18
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only met Tony on a few occasions, when I have ventured across to Mondello and Phoenix Park. A charming chief who made all welcome, regular or visitor. MY condolences to his family and friends
Old 27 Mar 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2854562)   #19
digucit
Rookie

United Kingdom
digucit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big thanks for all the memories

I too like many others owe a debt to Tony and the Family for "adopting" me and bringing me to Mondello to marshall, I dont know how many cups of tea, food and i think I can remember sleeping over in mondello and the park. If it was not for the generousity of the O' Reilly family I would never have gotten involved in motorsport and have many highlights to reflect back on. A day spent "lapping the track" on a motorbike for crowd issues at the Phoenix Park in the rain would not have been possible without the drive and encouragement of Tony. What amazes me reading these tributes is how many other people have been helped into the sport by this man.
Been an ex-marshall has helped me so much throughout the years and even whilst working taking photos on the BTCC, the fact that I came with the good training from Tony meant the BTCC marshals never had to worry about me and indeed I always made a point of supplying them with the freebies....

MY condolences to his family and friends

Ken Johnson