Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1318455)   #1
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US Grand Prix popularity

Don't know if this has been covered, but according to the announcers on SpeedVision (who carry F1 in the US THANK GOD) a poll was done on the official website of the Indianapolis Speedway as to what the favorite event held there was.

The US Grand Prix finished first ahead of the Indianapolis 500! If this is true, its fantastic news for those of us in the States who love F1 and live with the constant fear of losing our TV coverage. Also, I read that 5 of the races are being carried by network TV (CBS) this year which I believe is the most ever.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1318469)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cricky, that does surprise me. I am worried that this is due to the situation in American single seater racing. Although i understand that this year's race was a big success ratings wise and I see it has made it to the front page of some of the American papers.

Overall I would have thought the Brickyard 400 would have been top. You said that the GP finished ahead of the 500, did it beat the 400? I have had a look and can't find the poll you mention in the archives. I did see that people rated the Coca-Cola 600 more entertaining that the Indy 500 though.

Back to F1. While perhaps still a minority sport in USA it is good news if people are enjoying it.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 03:10 (Ref:1318632)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that particular bit on Speed, and F1 was indeed more popular than the Brickyard 400 as well. The announcers were suitably surprised, but pleased as well I think.

If Mr. Speed gets to take a few laps this year, it certainly won't hurt ratings at all.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1318838)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I belive that the US Grand Prix is the largets attended F1 race of the year?
Yet it is the smallest of the three events held there each year?
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1318943)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to F1 Racing this month these are the crowd figures for 2004 at a rough estimate...

Indy 500 - 250,000 spectators out of 300,000 max.
Brickyard 400 - 250,000 out of 300,000 max.
US Grand Prix - 110,000 out of 200,000 max.

Easily the highest attendance of any Grand Prix on the calender but still a large way off getting the capacity crowd it had for the 2000 GP.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1318957)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The race is a good event. I personaly like the layout, and it is at a magical place.
As long as they give it time it should develope and hopefully the attedances will rise.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1319287)   #7
Black_Flag
Rookie

Canada
Gatineau
Black_Flag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
According to F1 Racing this month these are the crowd figures for 2004 at a rough estimate...

Indy 500 - 250,000 spectators out of 300,000 max.
Brickyard 400 - 250,000 out of 300,000 max.
US Grand Prix - 110,000 out of 200,000 max.

Easily the highest attendance of any Grand Prix on the calender but still a large way off getting the capacity crowd it had for the 2000 GP.
You can add Canadian GP 250,000 spectators.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1319310)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit is crap. It doesn't do the heritage of the oval circuit any favours with that mickey mouse stop-start infield. If they'd had the chance to make something a little more interesting I'd imagine the races wouldn't have let F1 down.

As it is, I believe there's plans afoot to shift the GP to Long Beach.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1319392)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On paper, I agree the Indy circuit is not the best, but somehow it always provides for a very entertaining race. As a spectator, any seat around turn 1 is just fantastic. To see those cars come whaling down the long straight and brake so impossibly hard to make the tight turn, and then accelerate out again is something to see! And the cars that screw up and miss turn 1, well I'm right there to shake the drivers hand!

I'm going again this year for my third time, and Luke said it right, the place is magical. So much history everywhere, and the city itself is all about racing. A race fan can't go wrong going to Indy. It has spoiled me, because now every other track looks small, and unimpressive in comparison.

Please F1, don't leave Indy!

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1319428)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The circuit isn't as technically designed the typical F1 Tilk masters , but it usually produces a good race. Do we really care if the infield portion is a little mickey mouse? I'd rather see good racing than admire the ability of the parade leader to go through a complex series of corners.

I think SpeedTV's polls tend to be biased to the people using the site. For instance, Champ Car often does well in such polls. Bourdais was selected by the fans as driver of the year. There's no way Nascar fans voted for Bourdais, even if 1% of Nascar fans voted for a Nascar driver they could beat out F1, Champ Car and the IRL.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1320011)   #11
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montreal over Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Flag
You can add Canadian GP 250,000 spectators.
This statement is misleading. The 3-day attendance total for Montreal is usually between 250-300 thousand. But the one-day attendance for the Sunday race is about 110 thousand. That is very good though, compared to many other F1 venues.

I have been to the Canadian GP six times in Montreal and though I have never been to Indy for any race, I would always choose Montreal over Indy as the best North American location for a race. Montreal is to Indy as Monaco is to Magny-Cours.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1320017)   #12
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montreal is a great city. But I prefer watching a race at Indy. This will be my 6th year there. The ability to move around on Friday and Saturday and sit anywhere you want is a huge advantage.

If you are looking for night life go to Montreal. If you want to see F1 cars from different vantage points go to Indy.

The staff at Indy are very pleasant to deal with unlike Montreal sometimes. Indy handles a crowd much better too.

The circuit has its problems but sitting at Turn 1 for the race is great.

There is a magic to the place.

Now bring the F1 cars back to Mosport and my opinion would change (I like to dream).

Last edited by Mosport67; 4 Jun 2005 at 16:23. Reason: addition
Old 4 Jun 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1320026)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS
I have been to the Canadian GP six times in Montreal and though I have never been to Indy for any race, I would always choose Montreal over Indy as the best North American location for a race. Montreal is to Indy as Monaco is to Magny-Cours.
How can you choose Montreal over Indy if you've never been? Seems a trifle biased.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1320029)   #14
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
The circuit isn't as technically designed the typical F1 Tilk masters , but it usually produces a good race. Do we really care if the infield portion is a little mickey mouse? I'd rather see good racing than admire the ability of the parade leader to go through a complex series of corners.

I think SpeedTV's polls tend to be biased to the people using the site. For instance, Champ Car often does well in such polls. Bourdais was selected by the fans as driver of the year. There's no way Nascar fans voted for Bourdais, even if 1% of Nascar fans voted for a Nascar driver they could beat out F1, Champ Car and the IRL.
On the producing a good race point, I think it largely due to the width of the track, even at narrower points. Drivers can make moves on others at places one may not expect sometimes because of this.

On the matter of SPEEDTV polls, I think that there biggest following is probably the NASCAR bunch. If you check their schedule, there are more shows and races covered on NASCAR than any other form of racing.

I grew up only 35 miles from Indy and used to attend all of the Indy 500s and normally the first day of qualifying, now known as Pole Day. The shear size of the place as you approach it - grandstands - driving for at least a half mile along 16th street past the facilities - as was said, it is overwhelming if you have never seen it.

I have been to every one of the GPs there and been to Montreal too. I like Montreal, but the spectacle is not the same.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1320065)   #15
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montreal is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
How can you choose Montreal over Indy if you've never been? Seems a trifle biased.
My opinion is based on the "total experience" of Montreal vs. Indianapolis, i.e. the race, the city, the nightlife. I'm sure Indianapolis is a very nice place to live, but it is hardly a great destination for fun.

Moreover, I think the track at Montreal compares well to Indianapolis. Le Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has a beautiful setting on an island in the St. Lawrence River right across from downtown Montreal. Most people stay in downtown Montreal which becomes a big party-zone for four straight days. You take the metro to the track. The track itself is challenging enough, though it lacks the character and tradition of a Spa or a Monza. Indy has loads of tradition-- that is, loads of Indy 500 oval track tradition. I've never seen it ranked among the great road courses of the world (the US has many finer road courses).

So I stand by my analogy--Montreal is to Indy as Monaco is to Magny Cours (I've been to Monaco but never to Magny Cours).

By way of further evidence to support my case, I submit the photos of Montreal Grand Prix weekends past to be found here:

Montreal: North America's Best Venue for F1

Your Honor, I rest my case.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1320098)   #16
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
If you want to party go to Montreal. If you want to see F1 cars go to Indy.

I've been to both and I would pick Indy in a minute. It may not make as much difference if you just go to the track on race day but for practice and qualifying the difference is significant.

I will admit that I have a bias in that I grew up watching F1 at Mosport. The ability to move to different spots on the track is key for me.

Try Indy Bob you might like it. Hoosier hospitality is all it is cracked up to be.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1320145)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since we're comparing North American tracks, I certainly hope that F1 doesn't give up Indy for Long Beach.

Long Beach has a nice history and all, but if you hate the lack of passing in F1 these days, you'll really hate Long Beach! I don't think F1 needs another parade, which is what LB will offer. At least Indy offer's up alot of chances to pass, mostly due to the sheer width of the track almost all the way around, like f1atic said. But if your looking for a party, than I'm sure LB is right up there with Montreal! Although I've certainly had no trouble having fun in Indianapolis!

As my friends say, "what happens in Indy, stays in Indy"!

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Jun 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1320180)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Since we're comparing North American tracks, I certainly hope that F1 doesn't give up Indy for Long Beach.

Long Beach has a nice history and all, but if you hate the lack of passing in F1 these days, you'll really hate Long Beach! I don't think F1 needs another parade, which is what LB will offer. At least Indy offer's up alot of chances to pass, mostly due to the sheer width of the track almost all the way around, like f1atic said. But if your looking for a party, than I'm sure LB is right up there with Montreal! Although I've certainly had no trouble having fun in Indianapolis!

As my friends say, "what happens in Indy, stays in Indy"!
Hello GP Racer!

I don't think that this is likely to happen, there are no real facilities at Long Beach to start with are there, and I believe that the original promoters have just sold the rights to someone else I am not sure who? I used to enjoy going there when I lived in California it was great fun. I would like to go and see F1 race at Indy, no offence intended but the infield looks a bit insipid to me.

Jeremy
Old 5 Jun 2005, 04:18 (Ref:1320307)   #19
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The infield at Indy is very entertaining to watch. They have put in some new grandstands at the end of Hulman blvd where the cars come down about 180mph and slow through the turns at 35-40mph. It is AMAZING to see how deep into the turn the cars seem to go before they brake. Also, seeing the cars coming down the front strecth is mind boggling. They have the throttle wide open almost an entire mile. Then having to lift and the cars just jump into turn one. Anyone who hasn't been needs to go and see the race. I agree moving around and watching from different view points makes the weekend so much better.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1320431)   #20
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope f1 stays at indy, even if it isn't the best track in the world it is entertaining. f1 does have previous at the venue as well, with the 500 counting towards the championship, ascari raced their in 52, and then you have the british invasion of the 60's.
it still seems weird to see the f1 cars going the wrong way down the straight though.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1320450)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What kind of program does Indianapolis put on in the city on the race weekend? I am just curious. And can you get to the track if you don't have a car (except by taxi)?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1320474)   #22
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
What kind of program does Indianapolis put on in the city on the race weekend? I am just curious. And can you get to the track if you don't have a car (except by taxi)?
I found alot to do there during the weekend.

The track itself offers a pit-walk-about, which I believe is the only one of the year in F1, and of course there's the museum on the infield, which is a must see for any race fan.

I suggest that if you don't have a car, stay right in the downtown area, because you'll be able to walk around and see everything, and most of the hotels have courtesy buses to take you right to the track. Hoosier hospitality is real, the people are very nice and helpful, and there is alot of things going on during the race weekend. Art shows, symphony's - which our own Tim Northcutt is part of - classic car shows, a street festival and other things. And there are a number of nice resturants and bars to.

Downtown is good and crowded with race fans, and everyone is in a party mood...

Danica Patrick
Old 6 Jun 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1321443)   #23
Robert Duncan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Robert Duncan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport67
Montreal is a great city. But I prefer watching a race at Indy. This will be my 6th year there. The ability to move around on Friday and Saturday and sit anywhere you want is a huge advantage.
I have not been to Montreal in about 10 years, then we did wander the grand stands. I am going this year (to Indy as well 8). Can you not wander the grandstands at Montreal Friday and Saturday any more?

Regarding Long Beach, if it is a second USGP like 25 years ago I am all for that.

cheers,
Old 6 Jun 2005, 15:52 (Ref:1321473)   #24
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duncan
Can you not wander the grandstands at Montreal Friday and Saturday any more?
Robert, if the grandstand that you are located in is not full (and it's apt to be less full for Fri. and Sat.), then it is possible to change spots within your grandstand...but that is only useful if you are tryng to find different vantage points for photos.

Otherwise, Montreal ticket control is pretty strict. Your ticket may be checked several times as you walk to your seat and pass through checkpoints and if you don't have the right ticket, then you will not even be allowed to enter certain areas.

I actually think this is a good thing though. Frankly, I don't want someone who bought a $50 general admission ticket taking my $300 silver-level seat. As others have noted, Indy is much different in this regard because of its HUGE seating capacity and I can see that this would be (the one and only ) advantage of Indy over Montreal.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1321513)   #25
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
I guess that is the other difference. My ticket for Indy is $105 US right on turn 1. Practice is $35 for two days. Total works out to around $175 CDN.

The difference for 2 of us is significant.