Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 21 Jul 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1042466)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Miller Rates The IRL...

So Robin Miller posts an article on the Speed web-site, where he grades the IRL, from A - F.

I agree with alot of his grades to be honest. He gives AGR and Team Rahal well deserved A's. Penske gets a B-, and a whole host of teams get a C. Then comes the F's. The Ganassi boys earn one of them, which I wholeheartedly agree with, but then Robin has the nerve to give the IRL as a whole, an F! He has got to be kidding me!?

IMHO, the IRL deserves an A. This was truly there coming out year! This series struggled for many years, and now it that it has made it, and it has gained respectability, all the doom and gloomers are out to knock it down, to expose percieved weaknesses, and Miller is leading the chorus. The IRL has the best drivers and teams in open wheel racing today, they have 3 engine manufacturers, 2 chassis manufacturers, decent sponsorship, a great TV package, good venues, and easily the most competitive racing to be seen anywhere, and the fans are catching on to it.

It seems to me, that Miller is afraid of the IRL's success, and his blind hatred of TG has jaded his reporting of it.

Open your eyes and close your mouth Robin, and you may actually see some great racing...

Editted to remove unnecessary language.

Last edited by macdaddy; 23 Jul 2004 at 09:43.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 20:20 (Ref:1042470)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd give it a B.

But yet again this "us and them" mentality continues to damage the image of single-seater racing as a whole in the USA.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 06:12 (Ref:1042857)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont bother reading anything Robin Miller writes , he just really seems to annoy people alot.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 06:28 (Ref:1042866)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd give the IRL a B as well. On the improvements in safety I would give it an A+++ though - the difference so far between this year and last year, when it comes to injured drivers, is rather incredible (in a good way).
Old 22 Jul 2004, 09:20 (Ref:1042953)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd give it an A. It's kept it's ultra-competitive racing and also made leaps and bounds in saftey.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1043387)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's got to get an A really - thrilling racing week-in week-out. Only MotoGP has been in teh same league this year.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1043410)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Touch wood, there hasn't been an injury of any significance at all this year.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1043428)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NOTE:

Go to www.indystar.com and look at Wednesday's sports section....

Curt Cavin graded the teams, but not the Series:

A -- AGR & Rahal/Letterman

B -- Penske & Fernandez

C -- Mo Nunn & Access

D -- Ganassi, Panther, Cheever, D&R, AJ Foyt

F -- Kelley & Patrick

Highlights:

Hornish pass at Homestead
Kansas Race
Letterman after the Indy 500 win

Lowlights:

Unser Retires
Toyota & Chevy's results
Dixon's season thus far

BTW...Robin Miller said on Windtunnel on Monday that there are "3,000 IRL fans and they all live in Speedway, Pittsboro & Brownsburg (Indiana)"

So...all of you moved here and didn't tell me????

Hell...let's meet at a Sports Bar this Sunday and watch the Milwaukee Race on the Big Scree while we pound a few pitchers of beer!!!

He also is critical of the "American Driver focus of the IRL but there are many foreigners in the series"

Funny, but about 20 years ago Robin's big rant was that there were "Too Many American Drivers in Open-Wheeled Racing, and thus the Indy 500 and Open-Wheeled Racing had become as homogenous as NASCAR...the Race and the Series had lost it's international appeal and draw..."

Can't have it both ways, Robin....and I still think you're a jerk!

At this point he hates both Series....

But an "F" for their racing???

He has to be confusing the IRL with the other Series...which as been BORING this year...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 22 Jul 2004 at 13:56.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Jul 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1043487)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with you Tim. Miller is all over the board these days. The IRL gets much better than an "F" from me. Although, I wont give them an "A" either. The racing has been "A" quality all the way though, which should be the most important thing. Depth and quality of the field is "A" all the way as well, which is a real key to success.

Overall, I'd give them a "B." Their financial solidity still is a huge question mark in my mind. They could do better with the TV package and business practices. Overall, I wish they didn't have to run on so many 1.5 mile tri-ovals. But I have no major complaints.

I'd also agree that the other series is not seeing its best racing. I've been less than interested when I've tuned in. And I still don't understand why some people insist the champcar looks better than the indycar. It's not much of a looker these days.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1043539)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Robin Miller certainly provokes debate - which is his job.

Old 23 Jul 2004, 05:23 (Ref:1044125)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I could go somewhere with that KB but I certainly wont (this being a family forum and all )
Old 23 Jul 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1044245)   #12
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if it wasnt for Team Rahal & Fernandez Racing defecting at the last minute because of big offers from Honda, i belive the IRL would have came up short or cars.
I agree with RM
33cars at indy, that deserves an F.
Field Fliers at indy, ill give that an F.
All this unification talk that Penske is bringing up sounds like something is very unstable with the irl.

I love speedway racing, i have been following it for so many years but the IRL seems to have to much downforce which makes close racing,
i mean sometimes its almost flatout around the track.

Welcome to the forum, WALLED. But please do not use improper language.

Last edited by macdaddy; 23 Jul 2004 at 09:45.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1044246)   #13
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RM is only telling the truth
Old 23 Jul 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1044283)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The IRL still had the bigger field - Fernandez would've probably been unable to run in CART this year. If both Fernandez and Rahal had stayed in CART, Rocketsports and Forsythe wouldn't've ran extra cars, so it would've been 19 cars in CART and 20 in the IRL.

The 'field fillers' at Indy all wanted to race there, made considerable effort to find the funding, and included 2 former champions, a NASCAR star, and the hugely promising Jeff Simmons. Better than the guys CART team owners have employed to fill their field.

The IRL's racing in recent years has been close, competitive, varied and unpredictable. Whatever 'artificial' aerodymanic means have been used for that, it's bringing fans in, even former CART die-hards like myself.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1044323)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From Tim:
He has to be confusing the IRL with the other Series...which as been BORING this year...
Can't we discuss one series, without bringing up the other? Without slamming the other?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1044391)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
agreed , guys take your beefs of other series elswhere please.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1044489)   #17
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised that anyone could rate this series at less than a B, without hating oval racing as a whole. The field is impressive, with Newman-Haas and Fosythe the only major teams missing. 4 different drivers have won in 8 races, which is a low figure by IRL standards, but still impressive in general, and every race has been in doubt going into the closing stages. New stars have emerged, and established ones have had varying form. There's been loads of action and not so much as a cut finger. Great stuff.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1044675)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Well said, NI Tram.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1044809)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Can't we discuss one series, without bringing up the other? Without slamming the other?

I would agree with you, macdaddy, and I apologize for doing so....

But when it comes to Robin Miller, the point is actually germane...

He "parted ways" with the Indianapolis Star because he received payment from the former CART to write articles, etc., and was terminated for a "conflict of interest"...

That is not slanderous...it is fact....

Bringing up the other Series was uncalled for, and slamming it was, too....

But Robin Miller is certainly not "objective" in his view of the IRL...or OWRS....

and a few years ago, his bank statements would have proved it...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 Jul 2004 at 16:04.

Old 23 Jul 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1044890)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That last post was a bit too harsh so I will state for the record, another "fact"....

Whethr I agree with him or not, I will tell you that IMO, I do believe that Robin Miller is the most knowldgeable journalist who covers open-wheeled racing....

He has over 3 decades of knowledge in this form of motorsports and in fact, was a racer (local midgets, etc., if I'm not mistaken) and worked as a pit crew/garage man himself as well...

He does know motorsports...and especially so when it comes to open-wheeled racing...

and that is my "objective" view of him as far as covering the sport from a basis of knowledge is concerned...

It is only fair to recognize that "fact" as well...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 Jul 2004 at 17:40.

Old 23 Jul 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1044896)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Agreed.

Love him or hate him, he's succeeded in sparking debate.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1044918)   #22
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
1) With all the talk of unification and cross-overs,it's sometimes hard to discuss one without bringing up the other. The 2 OW series are inexplicably tied together, whether we like it or not.

2) There's LOTS of,if not more, slamming going on the other side, too. Look at all the comments/slams about TG and the IRL that's been happening, from PG and KK all the way down to the other forums.

3) This is, last I saw, a discussion board. I don't think it gets terribly out of hand here. IMO, inappropriate language and attacking posters should get more moderation attention than mentioning another series!

That said, I don't think an "F" for the IRL is fair. Perhaps, at the worst, a "C"

Last edited by MLM; 23 Jul 2004 at 18:29.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1044944)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
MLM,
1) "With all the talk of unification" - both boards have specific threads. And both series have specific boards.

2) "Slamming going on the other side, too." - We're trying to keep on top of it everywhere we see it.

3) "I don't think it gets terribly out of hand here" - That's because we won't allow it to. BTW, inappropriate language and attacking posters gets plenty of moderation attention, too.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:17 (Ref:1044952)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I agree with you macdaddy....too much of it goes on...

and your post in response to my side-handed comment on Robin was warranted and appropriate...

I think the mods do a great job here...both places....

not very easy to do when you're wearing a suit of armor to keep from getting jabbed all of thetime, either....

Old 23 Jul 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1044966)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
He has over 3 decades of knowledge in this form of motorsports and in fact, was a racer (local midgets, etc., if I'm not mistaken) and worked as a pit crew/garage man himself as well...
IMHO, it's those 3 decades of knowledge thats making him so out of touch with whats going on today.

He's one of those guys that remembers the "good ol days", and "how it used to be", and he cannot understand that those days are over forever. He needs to get with it, and he needs to open his eyes, to see that there are some very positive things going on out there, great racing, with close competition. Isn't that why we watch?

We can all sit around and whine about how bad things are today, hell, we can whine this series right into the grave, and to many of us do! Or we can support and enjoy the racing we have. I'll take the later...