Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Mar 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2660108)   #1
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Virgin fuel tank too small

Is this for real? It's a GMM story and no one else has picked it up other than SPEED so???
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...-finish-races/
REALLY? How can you make a mistake like this if you had fuel consumption numbers for the engine months in advance???
Old 25 Mar 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2660118)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fuel consumption depends on the car as much as the engine, especially as the cars are quite draggy. A silly mistake, but if there is a mistake it is not to realise that fuel consumption depends on more than just the engine. They had low levels of experience here.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2660141)   #3
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely they must have had an idea of the drag co-efficient when calculating down force levels and fuel consumption. They would need to know this for wing design, angles etc. would they not? Someone with Nick Wirths' experience would have double checked the numbers IMO. Having said that, they do everything on a razors edge in F1. Perhaps the CFD numbers were not quite as accurate as they had hoped? I wish the team all the best, it will just take them a little longer to get there now.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2660163)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They had low levels of experience here.

Spot on... no surprises about it.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 00:53 (Ref:2660175)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Not the first time it's happened either. Getting the numbers right based on estimates with different circuits etc is not an exact science & they clearly went a bit too aggressive.

I've seen F1 cars need to build in bigger tanks or when the regs allowed add extra tanks. One car had as many as 11 small tanks (yep, 11) fitted to the car & connected at the first race of the season.

Teething trouble but they'll sort it out.

Surprised that the testing didn't pick it up though.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 01:16 (Ref:2660181)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This was dismissed as nonsense before Bahrain
Old 26 Mar 2010, 01:30 (Ref:2660187)   #7
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is clearly rubbish. The new times are likely to have been the most conservative on something like this.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 02:13 (Ref:2660196)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well well well...it's true, then. As confirmed on 5 Live now

The other teams have been informed that Virgin can change their chassis
Old 26 Mar 2010, 02:14 (Ref:2660197)   #9
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC are pretty convinced that the rumour is true. 12 litres short allegedly.

However, this is completely academic as the Virgin doesn't have enough hydraulic fluid to complete the race either.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 02:16 (Ref:2660198)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am sure they will get a bigger one soon.. It's ONLY a joke before you complain..
Old 26 Mar 2010, 02:17 (Ref:2660200)   #11
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just come through from another source as well.
Oh well, looks like using all the computers for the CFD meant they didn't have enough for some of the basic design issues
Old 26 Mar 2010, 02:18 (Ref:2660201)   #12
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I am sure they will get a bigger one soon..
Not so easy as it is as big as it can be within the Homologated chassis, so it is a full redesign
Old 26 Mar 2010, 02:23 (Ref:2660205)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Moderator...

I do apologise, just a little humour ...We need some humour once in a while...

Moderator...
Old 26 Mar 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2660263)   #14
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC link to their report.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2660265)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm glad the teams have seemingly agreed to let Virgin make htis change. The damage to F1's image from the team dawdling around trying to reach the end on limited fuel is greater than the threat of Virgin actually beating any of them. It shows just what a bad set of choices the FIA made with the new teams, only the second Lotus application look a decent choice so far.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2660266)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This could hardly have been a more unfortunate mistake for a team whose name sponsor operates an airline to make, I think we'll see some humorous and, for Virgin, embarassing comment on this soon.

Never mind as long as the wings don't come off.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2660272)   #17
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
I'm glad the teams have seemingly agreed to let Virgin make htis change. The damage to F1's image from the team dawdling around trying to reach the end on limited fuel
What, like during the '84 season to the end of the turbo era when cars ran out on a regular basis?
Old 26 Mar 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2660289)   #18
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
, and when the chasis is re homologated, i wonder if it has an extra hole or two for a possible F Duct
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:21 (Ref:2660303)   #19
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortuneatly they have bigger problems than needing an f-duct at the moment
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2660305)   #20
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
What, like during the '84 season to the end of the turbo era when cars ran out on a regular basis?

Yeah, and the cars had more skirt than the grid girls.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2660321)   #21
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Formula One is not a finishing school. Either you come prepared, or prepare to fail. This is the pinnacle of world motorsport". - David Coultard

The PINNACLE of motor sport, yea that's what it is!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2660325)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Apparently a team of taxi-drivers have been drafted in to teach Timo and Lucas how to go everywhere in fifth and freewheel down hills.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:44 (Ref:2660348)   #23
csirl
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How big a job is this? As they have to resubmit for crash testing, I assume that they'll need to build an extra chassis? Do they have to build c.4 new chassis's or can they modify what they have? I'd assume that building 4 completely new chassis's would financially cripple the team.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2660359)   #24
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They could just buy smaller drivers.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2660375)   #25
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So now we know there's at least one team that's hoping for a Safety Car this weekend...