Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:31 (Ref:1099660)   #1
snuffy
Rookie

United Kingdom
snuffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo Gidley 2005

This is nice. finally somebody wants to do something about it. I just wrote in, maybe some do here too. I think he would be good for the series if he could be there all of the time. If other people like him too you can give this a look.

Edit: The link was to another forum, I don't feel that appropriate. The post being referred to gave email links to ChampCar and seven of the nine teams, asking that you voice your support for Memo Gidley.

Last edited by macdaddy; 17 Sep 2004 at 20:19.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1099673)   #2
fobi0
Rookie

fobi0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boy I know at least 3 people who won't be doing it!
I can race in Champcar today."
- JohnSSC
Old 17 Sep 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1099696)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Snuffy, welcome to 10T's!
Feel free to begin your own campaign if you wish... You may certainly cut/paste all of the email addys here if you feel strongly enough about the cause!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1099705)   #4
snuffy
Rookie

United Kingdom
snuffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you, macdaddy. i am new to the forum worlds. Took me long enough to figure out how to link that first post.

Old 17 Sep 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1099706)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Gentilozzi has previously said he's working on a deal to bring Gidley back full time next year, so it should happen.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 02:05 (Ref:1099873)   #6
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum snuffy

MeMo GiDlEy bring him on.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 01:54 (Ref:1100521)   #7
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I talked to Memo today and asked him if the internet rumours were true that he was in negotiations for a Champcar drive next year. He said he wasn't exactly in negotiations yet, but there was definitely some interest for him from more than one team. Also Memo congratulated me on my race win today. Woohoo!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 02:23 (Ref:1100527)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 04:13 (Ref:1100553)   #9
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to both Memo and JJ!!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 06:13 (Ref:1100575)   #10
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 19 Sep 2004, 07:37 (Ref:1100600)   #11
dubby99
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
Also Memo congratulated me on my race win today. Woohoo!
If you don't mind me asking what race did you win
Old 19 Sep 2004, 13:33 (Ref:1101011)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by WALLED
If you don't mind me asking what race did you win
Hi WALLED,

Here's JJ's website: Jeremy Spiering
Old 19 Sep 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1101028)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
We should start a letter-writing campaign to get jj a ride for next year!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1101052)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no reason not to.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1101129)   #15
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
That's a fantastic idea, macdaddy! You see, that's why he's a moderator and I'm just a lowly member. Maybe 10TENTHS could be one of Jeremy's sponsors?!?!

Old 19 Sep 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1101184)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's probably not ready for ChampCars, so a decent drive in British Formula Renault will cost about £250000.

Who's ready to start the contributions!
Old 19 Sep 2004, 23:13 (Ref:1101474)   #17
dubby99
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Hi WALLED,

Here's JJ's website: Jeremy Spiering
Thank you Dov.Ooops i forgot to congratulate jjspierx.

Congratulation to jjspierx
Old 20 Sep 2004, 04:04 (Ref:1101584)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I say he stick with cars that have real engines and do Star Mazda next year. They're surprisingly cheap as far as Formula cars go. I've missed most of the races, but the ones I've seen have been good to watch. I don't know much about the workings of Star Mazda, do you start your own team or are there teams that you drive for? We'll start harassing teams if you'd like.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 05:49 (Ref:1101618)   #19
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, Star Mazda is what I'm trying to get into next year. They are VERY similar in spec to Toyota Atlantic. They both have 240hp, only the Atlantic cars are a little better in terms of aerodynamics and run usually 1-1.5 seconds faster per lap at most tracks. The winner of the series I am in this year is getting a free ride next year in Star Mazda(about a $250,000 value). I've had some bad luck in the latter half of the season and I am now in 3rd place out of 90 or so people in the SCCA Formula Russell series. I'm about 32 points out of 1st with 3 races to go. Not looking good for me for the championship, but I should be able to get 2nd or 3rd pretty easily. Who knows, maybe I could walk away with first. The Star Mazda series is a perfect stepping stone to the Toyota Atlantic series. I am currently spending all of free time I have when I am not racing or working full time, to working on my proposal for sponsorship and hopefully tring to come up with some funding for next year.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1102016)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Give us a run down on what's involved to get into Star Mazda in the event that you win Russel.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1102219)   #21
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
hmmm...I'm not sure I understrand your question Snrub. In the event that I win the Russell championship, Russell will be providing a full time ride next year in the Star Mazda Series(well fairly certain they've said, the year after it will be for sure). They are not sure whether or not Russell will start its own team and run the driver, or whether they will just pay another team to give their driver a ride. I think their plan is start their own team (possibly next year) where they will field several cars. All of the drivers on their team will be Russell graduates, and of course the previous years Russell Champion will be driving for free.

Right now, its not looking too good for me in the championship. My win on Saturday was very positive for me, but the leader in the championship took 2nd place. My race on Sunday really hurt my chances for the championship. The car I randomly drew to race in was not very strong and I qualified 9th. In the race I moved up to 6th place(not too bad considering I had a spin early on in the race). Anyways, the championship leader won that race. I'm now in 3rd place 14 points behind 2nd place and 32 points behind the points leader. There are 3 races left. The race winner gets 20 points, so I need to win some races and have the points leader do poorly for me to win the chamionship. I'm not sure if I can even come up with the money for next months race. Its looking doubtful actually. If I can't come up with the money for next months race, then I will just start saving up my money for next season. I'm really hoping I can finish the season off though, because I am confident that I can at LEAST finish 2nd and possibly still first. If I get 2nd place I will receive a test day in the Pro Formula Mazda(used in Star Mazda).

Last edited by jjspierx; 20 Sep 2004 at 17:45.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 19:26 (Ref:1102309)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
I have a way of posting semi-non-sensical stuff, but you pretty much covered what I wanted to know. What if you don't win Russel, is there a reasonable chance you might get a ride? I get the impression that most of the Star Mazda entries bring money to the table in addition to sponsorship, true/false?
Old 20 Sep 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1102312)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Pretty much every driver in junior formulae needs to bring sponsorship.

Free rides are rare, salaried ones almost unheard of!
Old 20 Sep 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1102316)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Pretty much every driver in junior formulae needs to bring sponsorship.

Free rides are rare, salaried ones almost unheard of!
I already have sponsership.

Old 20 Sep 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1102346)   #25
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Yeah, without winning the Russell Championship, I'd basically have to come up with about $250,000 worth of money/sponsorship. Thats pretty much out of the question as I've had trouble coming up with money for this season which is only costing me about $20,000 + expenses.

Kicking-back is correct, pretty much all drivers in Junior Fomula series have to bring their own money. Lynx racing was an exception in that every year they chose a driver who they thought was an upcoming talent and fully sponsored a ride for him/her. Its too bad this year was Lynx's last season in Atlantics.