Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2002, 13:49 (Ref:328163)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will paul Stoddart keep his word?

Earlier this season when Alex Yoong did'nt manage to qualify Paul Stoddart said:"I'll replace him if he does that again", so now he's done it again............

BTW:the malasians(KL) have only payed 2 million $ of the 20 million $ they promissed.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 14:01 (Ref:328178)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really? Gee whiz.

I wonder if the flying mullet will make a return? (Gaston)
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:02 (Ref:328199)   #3
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot recall Paul saying that.

Plus, its also down to three blindingly quick frontrunners.

The mere fact that Alex is slower than Webber should be of no surprise.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:17 (Ref:328206)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
he is 2.5 seconds slower than Webber!, BTW: Paul said it to the Dutch TV when Yoong failed to qualify earlier this season(I think it was Imola)
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:17 (Ref:328207)   #5
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't see why Minardi are appealing, Yoong was just too slow. As far as I know he didn't have any problems, after all he managed to do his 12 laps.

At one point near the end of the session, the cameras picked up Yoong just after the second sector and he was already 4.2 seconds off the pace then.

Just thinking about it, Yoong came out with one of the quotes of the year after he failed to qualify at Imola. His excuse was "I under estimated the amount of grip that was Available".

Just think of all the talented drivers out there that would do a better job than Yoong. Justin Wilson, for example, has taken a step back in his career, going from F3000 to the Dallara Nissan World Series in Spain.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:31 (Ref:328218)   #6
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
he is 2.5 seconds slower than Webber!, BTW: Paul said it to the Dutch TV when Yoong failed to qualify earlier this season(I think it was Imola)
And Dutch TV is going to hold him to his comment? A private remark to Dutch TV can hardly qualify as a statement.

The second Minardi seat will always be available to the highest bidder. In other words, its for sale and for sale only. So, who, other than Bernoldi and Yoong, will pay to be in a deadend seat? Who is that desperate to 'be' in F1?
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:37 (Ref:328224)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
the fact is hat only 2 million $ of the 20 million the Malasians promissed has been payed so far.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 15:47 (Ref:328229)   #8
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Im sorry, I don't have acces to the Minardi financial books (nor has any journalist), so I wouldnt know about that.

Its been said that Stoddart has excused Yoong for missing out on the 107%. Apperantly due to some technical failure or something.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 16:46 (Ref:328263)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
that's what Paul Stoddart told(again) to dutch TV.

also interesting: it seems Paul Stoddart is willing to "give" the team away for free to anyone who will take over it's debts(28 million $)
Old 6 Jul 2002, 17:14 (Ref:328267)   #10
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

So, Stoddart has some sort of hotline with Dutch TV uh? Its probably all down to rumours, coz I cannot for the live of me understand why Stoddart would give financial information about his team.
Old 6 Jul 2002, 18:48 (Ref:328282)   #11
JohnnyBravo
Rookie

JohnnyBravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes once again it seems a pay driver has failed to qualify, there must be hundred of good drivers out there who would actually make it worth putting the car on circuit for!!
As someone has already mentioned - Justin Wilson, he should be in F1, he'd do a better job than yoong and Sato for that matter.:confused: :confused:
It's something that will sadly never change, but it would be nice wouldn't it, a grid full of the best drivers in the world, in the best cars in the world.
Whilst on the subject of cars didn't Jag's do well!!!
Old 6 Jul 2002, 19:21 (Ref:328292)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Bravo

wake up for god sake !!!..i agree also that Justin should be in F1 , i likem many others rate him highly , but stop comparing Sato and Yoong as if they both have no talent . It is crazy to make out that they are both no hopers.

Yoong was 2.5 seconds of his team mate today on a circuit he knew well , and appeared not to have any serious problems that ive read about .....That is a margin that makes him look silly being in F1 ..

Takuma Sato has had a troubled start to the season but in no way has he failed to show that he doesnt have the speed of talent . Infact once again he was quicker than Fisi in qualifing......

I agree that Justin is a massive talent and should be given a chance in F1 by some teams , but stop trashing Sato because of it. Try trashing Justins manager for only getting him a test drive right at the end of the season when nearly all the drives were taken .
Old 6 Jul 2002, 20:21 (Ref:328314)   #13
Mygale
Racer

Mygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is people's problem with Sato ?

He has bucket loads of talent , is progressing very well now at Jordan , yet is still talked about like he is 2nd rate .

Open your eyes , Takuma is going to be here for many years to come , so maybe he deserves for people to give him a break and stop talking about him in the same breath as a pay driver with not much pace as Alex Yoong .
Old 7 Jul 2002, 03:57 (Ref:328462)   #14
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Wilson is so good, why is he not doing well in telefonica? Surely the guys above him should be entitled to a shot at F1? Wilson won F3000 in his THIRD year in a car which was dominant.

As for Sato, he has a hell of a job against Fisichella but he is doing better than Button did last year so far in terms of speed. He just likes to trash his car! he'll grow out of it - hopefully before it kills him.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 04:15 (Ref:328468)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Anyone who cannot qualify within teh 107% rule should not be on the circuit.
As for Yoong's supporters only coughing up 2 million so far, is this a proven fact or only rumour? I mean the fact that Minardi changed the name of the team to KL Minardi, and painted the colours different must have required more funding tha a mere 2 million.
Better for Stoddart to someone like Gene, Ricardo, Jos, etc in teh car. Jos has money behind him. I thought all along Yoong was in the team because he was keeping the team afloat.

I wouldn't talk about Sato in the same post as Yoong, by the way. Sato is a much better driver.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 7 Jul 2002, 07:19 (Ref:328499)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
So, Stoddart has some sort of hotline with Dutch TV uh?
No. Dutch TV has some reporters running around all weekend, asking questions directly to the people involved whenever they have time to (and are in the mood to) answer questions.
And for some reason, they seem to be getting lots of answers.

I don't know whether they are the correct answers, though.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 07:20 (Ref:328500)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Yoong's personal sponsors are not coughing up the dough, then Stoddart should get his butt out of the seat and get someone in there who is quick plus helps pay the bills.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 09:32 (Ref:328529)   #18
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
someone in there who is quick plus helps pay the bills.
And who would that be? Youre asking alot here
Old 7 Jul 2002, 09:40 (Ref:328534)   #19
JohnnyBravo
Rookie

JohnnyBravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't say sato had no talent, but he's only in the Jordan because of his connections. He is very good but is he one of the worlds 22 best drivers? I think not. That's not to say that JW is or isn't either but the point I was trying to get accross was wouldn't it be nice to see a championship withthe best drivers in the best cars in the world?
As far as Yoong is concerned his record speaks for itself. There's nothing more I need to add.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 09:47 (Ref:328537)   #20
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Quote:
I didn't say sato had no talent, but he's only in the Jordan because of his connections. He is very good but is he one of the worlds 22 best drivers?
He isn't in the Jordan because of his Honda-connection, as Eddie Jordan himself stated. Sato was part of a three driver shootout (against Justin Wilson and Karthikiyan (sp?)) based on his massive performance in British Formula 3.

But anyway, there is a perfectly good thread around for this discussion to continue
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:21 (Ref:328552)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The pay driver who's sponsors don't pay up? Sounds like Deletraz, although he is at least someone who Yoong can claim to be better than. Maybe he will be replaced if it carries on like this

Yoong's prescence in F1 is a joke, its terirble that guys like Justin Wilson, Zonta, Castroneves, Wurz and Burti get left to either test or race in backwater championships.

Of course Yoong is also technically a British driver as his mother is English, but that doesn't mean I should rate his, as he's not up to it at all. As has been said, he didn't look dangerous, just incedibly slow. Sometimes his gap to Webber is nearly as big as the gap from pole back to Webber.

I liked that Brundle wisecrack at Imola, that on Sunday Yoong was doing a 3-stop stratgey- London, Dubai, Kuala Lumpar. Same again today.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:34 (Ref:328559)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
I didn't say sato had no talent, but he's only in the Jordan because of his connections. .
i can understand why you think that , and even i wouldnt try and say that it wasnt in the back of Eddie Jordans mind when he signed him , but you said earlier
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
As someone has already mentioned - Justin Wilson, he should be in F1, he'd do a better job than yoong and Sato for that matter.:confused: :confused:
I am really interested to hear why you think that Justin would do a BETTER job than Sato in the same car with the same rookie pressures on him . Agian i would like so say that i also like Justin too , but his past record is actually no better than Sato's in a way .

what im trying to say is , i dont see why people are saying negative things about Sato in relation to Wilson . Both drivers are good drivers in their own right .
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:35 (Ref:328560)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How much has marques got? I remember him saying last year that he hopes to be back soon...

If Yoongs sponsors aren't paying and he isn't quick enough then he's got to go. Simple as that.

Whether his sponsors are paying we just don't know.
Old 7 Jul 2002, 16:07 (Ref:328752)   #24
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Mark Webber said some interesting things in an interview with Dutch TV, he would like to have a more experienced and faster teammate so they can learn from eachother and help the team forwarth(smiling):"someone like Jos the Boss".
Old 7 Jul 2002, 17:45 (Ref:328801)   #25
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Again, as said on Dutch TV. One would reckon he knows who he is talking to.

for instance:

Czech TV: "Someone like Tomas Enge"
French TV: "Someone like Sebastian Bourdais"
Britisch TV: "Someone like Justin Wilson"

I think you get the picture.

Quit hanging on to each and every comment made on Dutch TV, or claimed to be made to Dutch journalists. Formula 1 is a lot more than what is going on in Holland. Or at least I can imagine it being that way.