Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Nov 2003, 08:32 (Ref:777483)   #1
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Dave HRT Moy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cream always rises...Go Murph, Go Skaifey !

Four ordinary rounds for Ambrose on the trot and the pressure is truly on...

SBR seem to have struggled since way back at Oran Park. The endurance races were get out of jail free results for the team and Indy was just plain ordinary. Then this weekend at Puka, Ambrose (and Ingall for that matter) never looked like challenging Skaife or Murphy.

For Ambrose then to expect other Ford teams to simply pull over and let him through is just a little rich. Yes, he's trying to win the championship, but why should Seton or anyone else give him or SBR a free kick?

If he is truly a deserving winner (and recent form would suggest that this statement is questionable), then obviously he needs to be consistently up the front, not drop the ball in the latter third of the series and expect other Ford teams to pull over and let him past...

All is not lost for us Holden boys and let me tell you. It will be a very long and drunken night in the Moy household if either Murph or Skaifey pull this one off.

Like I said, cream truly rises to the top (and sh*t sinks! ! !)....
Old 9 Nov 2003, 08:42 (Ref:777490)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wish I could be as ordinary as Rusty at Indy, winning both races in a canter....

The SBR cars looked terrible over the bumps at Pukekohe, the ride control was at its worst, each undulation seemingly kicking the car sideways... sometimes a supersoft setup isnt the way to go...

Not sure the enduros were washouts speed wise, if Rusty hadnt made sandcastles at Sandown, the lead SBR unit should have bene challenging Skaife for top spot...

Bathurst had issue, chunking tyres for no apparent reason, and not on the other car was odd..

It will make Eastern Creek an amazing event!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Nov 2003, 08:48 (Ref:777494)   #3
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they will be back at the front at Eastern Creek just wait and see
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting
Old 9 Nov 2003, 08:53 (Ref:777496)   #4
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I wish I could be as ordinary as Rusty at Indy, winning both races in a canter....

The SBR cars looked terrible over the bumps at Puka, the ride control was at its worst, each undulation seemingly kicking the car sideways... sometimes a super soft set-up isn’t the way to go...

Not sure the enduros were washouts speed wise, if Rusty hadn’t made sandcastles at Sandown, the lead SBR unit should have been challenging Skaife for top spot...

Bathurst had issue, chunking tyres for no apparent reason, and not on the other car was odd..

It will make Eastern Creek an amazing event!
I take your points GTR, but I'm looking at the results as an overall, as opposed to just a technical effort.

True the SBR car was quick at Sandown, but they need to be quick on the track, not in the sand trap.

Ingall did well at Indy, with Ambrose (again) getting out of jail with an ill handling car.

The SBR cars just seem to have lost that pointy edge they had up until OP. They're struggling for set-up and you're right, the things were awful over the bumps at Puka.

Like I said, cream rises. I think some poor set-up directions and then some tentative driving by Ambrose has cost them their lead and I'd suggest plenty of Ambrose and SBR confidence.

There appears to be some kind of handling imbalance that's crept into the SBR cars over the past few rounds, and they chase their tails all weekend.

I'm not complaining, like I said, Murph clearly moves into short odds now and I'm happy to place one of my lazy hundreds on the main man in red.

Go Skaifey...
Old 9 Nov 2003, 08:57 (Ref:777499)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Cream rises to the top huh, well who is (still) on top then?
Old 9 Nov 2003, 08:58 (Ref:777503)   #6
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YAHOO!!!!

And both Murph and Skaife did without a little help from their friends....
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:02 (Ref:777509)   #7
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Cream rises to the top huh, well who is (still) on top then?
Maybe...

But by a couple of fingernails as opposed to a firm hand a few races ago.

Roll on Eastern Creek.

This championship is far from over.

I expect a Skaife upset that will truly crown him as a legend ! ! !
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:05 (Ref:777514)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's me now wondering if SBR will try and possibly enter an extra car for cover.... Winterbottom seems to like Eastern Creek and does incredibly well there in Konica...

(And dont say it cant be done, there are loads of lazy L2s around... and some 2nd L1s if you ask the right way.. )
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:06 (Ref:777515)   #9
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
That was pathetic it wasn't it? I can understand using Russell, but thinking that Seto would just move over is stupid! I was half expecting to see a finger being raised...
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:09 (Ref:777517)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Marcos isnt aggresive in traffic, hence Rusty leading him thru... Bargs got the call to get out of the way and he duly did
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:11 (Ref:777520)   #11
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
I'm sorry, but I don't think that's very fair...
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:12 (Ref:777521)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Cast your mind back to Sandown last year, when Mr Skaife got on the radio and told Mr Grech to get the Kmart car and the 2nd HRT car out of the way so he could have a go at attacking Ambrose.

That wasnt fair either. But it happened.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:24 (Ref:777523)   #13
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just wondering if anyone could work out the point standing based on last years system?
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:29 (Ref:777525)   #14
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All i know is that Ambrose would have romped it in a round or 2 ago.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:30 (Ref:777527)   #15
bartman71
Veteran

just as i thought it would be
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:35 (Ref:777530)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The current one has to go for 2004, its at a point now where if any of the 4 contenders DNF'sthe whole weekend, their aggregate adjusted points actually increases!!

Absolutely crazy stuff!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:39 (Ref:777534)   #17
bartman71
Veteran

crazy enough for Bright to be leading after 5 rounds with out winning a thing and ambrose in 3rd i think after winning a couple of rounds
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:45 (Ref:777540)   #18
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
The current one has to go for 2004, its at a point now where if any of the 4 contenders DNF'sthe whole weekend, their aggregate adjusted points actually increases!!

Absolutely crazy stuff!
Good point GTR, and one that I made on Conrod and the start of the season and was howled down for (not by you I might add).

We have a situation where if Ambrose (or any of the others for that matter), qualifies really badly or stuffs the first race, they could be better of simply parking it in race two and letting EC be their worst round.

If their worst round (before EC) is more than they stand to earn at EC, then why wouldn't they do it?

Given the tight points between the top two, who's to say that this isn't (or hasn't already) been worked out...

Don't be surprised if Murph or Ambrose suddenly develop a "mystery" engine drama if they're down the order.

If that happened, what a "sh*tty" way to win the series, regardless of who does it.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:46 (Ref:777541)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's set up for a great finish at Eastern Creek, while it'll be a great battle i'll tip Murphy from here as he's on a roll & it'll take something special to deny him.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:48 (Ref:777544)   #20
Dave HRT Moy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by bartman71
crazy enough for Bright to be leading after 5 rounds with out winning a thing and ambrose in 3rd i think after winning a couple of rounds
True, but Ambrose hasn't been on the podium for 4 rounds in a row now. That's virtually a third of the championship, let's not forget that.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:50 (Ref:777547)   #21
bartman71
Veteran

but how many has he won?
Old 9 Nov 2003, 09:51 (Ref:777550)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I agree with you Dave, and I would say the excel spreadsheets would be working overtime on the permutations and combinations to maximise championship position.

As opposed to winner takes all....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Nov 2003, 10:13 (Ref:777577)   #23
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it, but i think Ambrose will take it.

There isnt any obvious reason why the SBR car has been slow of late. It was fast at OP, which is why he took the round win, and it was a fast car at Sandown, and i am damn sure that had Russell not put it into the sand at the first corner, they would have taken the win there as well.

At Bathurst was another story, really never on it, but still, 6th isnt that bad.

Indy, off the pace, but a huge save, could have won the race, but the engine problem stood in his way. Although it ran very very efficiently on 7 cylinders.

Pukekohe was just disasterous for him. The traffic was the main issue here, and the car really had so little pace.

At Eastern Creek though, i think Ambrose will be strong. He was very quick earlier this year at EC, and i think he will be the same.

And, to get back on topic, yes, the Holdens were very quick this weekend. I am in awe of Skaife's performance.
Race 1 - Crash at first corner, ends up last. Pits at same time as others. So pretty much last, still. Pits again to fix the rubbing. Now 1 spin and a pit stop down on everyone. Fights back to 7th in a 36 lap race. Unbelievable!

Race two, from 7th to what should have been a win. And, race 3...finally.
Old 9 Nov 2003, 10:20 (Ref:777583)   #24
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cast your mind back to Sandown last year, when Mr Skaife got on the radio and told Mr Grech to get the Kmart car and the 2nd HRT car out of the way so he could have a go at attacking Ambrose.

That wasnt fair either. But it happened.
I remember that, don't you Dave & Wizzby?
Old 9 Nov 2003, 10:26 (Ref:777587)   #25
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Did I say I thought that was fair?

Really you shouldn't make assumptions about people like that...